SASS Wire Forum

Jeep woes

Dantankerous

After the last pic I posted, Allie Mo will very much enjoy this post. :D

I drive a Jeep Wrangler. I love Jeeps. Always have and always will. Weather permitting I FINALLY, after 2 years, removed the doors and top and drove my Jeep as it should be in the summer- topless. As I was on night shift this week I left my Jeep in the company parking lot all night. As luck would have it, or possibly Karma, sometime during the night a cat decided to help itself to my Wrangler and used the driver's seat as it's litter box. Pi$$ed all over the seat. Criminy what a smell! Oh, the very creative combinations of explicitives I have used this week! NO WAY can I put the top back on anytime soon. I am seriously contemplating getting a replacement seat or even a replacement Jeep! Even at 70 mph with the doors and top off the smell is gawdawful!

There is now a bounty on stray cats at my work. :o

And I actually like cats. Well, maybe not so much anymore... ;)

And as luck has it, the radiator started leaking.  That however is an easy fix compared to satanic feline vandalism.

Howdy,

Anybody who ever saw Caddyshack knows leaving a car top open

just invites bad things to happen.  

Its why MGs have tonneau covers.

Its why power windows and tops exist.

Just a random flicked cigar butt can cause a lot of fuss.

Check ebay, many crashes leave a good seat or two, good luck.

Best

CR

I ended up trading in my car in February when it was cold and you couldn't smell that the cat peed in it.  Good luck getting rid of that smell.

21 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

After the last pic I posted, Allie Mo will very much enjoy this post. :D

I drive a Jeep Wrangler. I love Jeeps. Always have and always will. Weather permitting I FINALLY, after 2 years, removed the doors and top and drove my Jeep as it should be in the summer- topless. As I was on night shift this week I left my Jeep in the company parking lot all night. As luck would have it, or possibly Karma, sometime during the night a cat decided to help itself to my Wrangler and used the driver's seat as it's litter box. Pi$$ed all over the seat. Criminy what a smell! Oh, the very creative combinations of explicitives I have used this week! NO WAY can I put the top back on anytime soon. I am seriously contemplating getting a replacement seat or even a replacement Jeep! Even at 70 mph with the doors and top off the smell is gawdawful!

There is now a bounty on stray cats at my work. :o

And I actually like cats. Well, maybe not so much anymore... ;)

And as luck has it, the radiator started leaking.  That however is an easy fix compared to satanic feline vandalism.

I owned Hound dogs fer quite awhile.... they loved cats! ;)

9 minutes ago, Lorelei Longshot, SASS #44256 Life said:

I ended up trading in my car in February when it was cold and you couldn't smell that the cat peed in it.  Good luck getting rid of that smell.

Yup.  Years ago a cat ruined a perfectly good leather couch. That couch wound up in someone else's garage and I was more than happy to have them to haul it off for free.

My administrative officer had a jeep cherokee that a cat had peed in the back seat.  No matter what she did, and she tried a lot, that smell was still there.  On a hot day she would have the window partially down and wham it would hit you as you walked by.   If you can soak the area in vinegar it might help but virtually impossible to get out of that foam seat.

I had a neighborhood tomcat that was spraying the tires on my truck. I bought some cat repellent spray at the local feed store and it kept that cat away. I just sprayed my tires.

Unfortunately I cannot remember the name of the spray. The link I attached is supposed to be a good repellent as well. My neighbor swore by this stuff.

https://naturesmace.com/cat-repellent/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwgezoBRDNARIsAGzEfe7wvA_wetbRzgR-K1Xoz8xtFQOgjx6Dg2TSSVWlwTe6Ja-0gw3WmTUaAuXdEALw_wcB

I thought this would be about what crap Jeeps have turned in to. We've had three and the only one that was any good was a Wrangler. Hubby gave the first one to the tow truck driver.

Try Nature's Miracle on the odor. Maybe, put the top on, roll windows up, park in the sun with a charcoal on the seat. If it got to the foam, just replace the seat. Check out scrap yards.

We had a feral cat visit us when we moved. He would never let us touch him; but, he'd sure tell us when he needed food. He once left me a dead rabbit outside my office window. Anyway, he sprayed outside and it sure smelled bad.  He finally moved on (looking for girls, I assume). I later found out where he went. The lady I was talking to, begged me to come take him away. I refused.

Try mixing a box of baking soda with a quart of Hydrogen peroxide and a teaspoon full of Dawn.  That works on skunk spray, soaking the seat with it might help.

At this point it sure can't hurt!

Duffield

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Of course if you going to continue to park it overnight with the top off..... don’t bother

I get this fixed I will have to put the doors back on but that kind of defeats the purpose...

Ugh!

Literally the first time I had the top off in almost two years. :o

I'm no where close to being done crying about this either. ;)

3 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I thought this would be about what crap Jeeps have turned in to. We've had three and the only one that was any good was a Wrangler. Hubby gave the first one to the tow truck driver.

The Wranglers are the last of the Real Jeeps. The Liberty/Compass/Patriot/Renegade/Grand Cherokee/"new" Cherokee are all nothing but plush or cozy cute-utes meant to ferry pregnant soccer moms around town. Gone are the old days when a Jeep didn't need a "Trail Rated" or "Trailhawk" badge on it to be regarded as a capable off-road vehicle.

13 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

The Wranglers are the last of the Real Jeeps. The Liberty/Compass/Patriot/Renegade/Grand Cherokee/"new" Cherokee are all nothing but plush or cozy cute-utes meant to ferry pregnant soccer moms around town. Gone are the old days when a Jeep didn't need a "Trail Rated" or "Trailhawk" badge on it to be regarded as a capable off-road vehicle.

https://www.roxoroffroad.com/

Wishing you "happy seat hunting" Dantankerous:(, by the sounds of the above posts there is no point spending money on deodorants.

18 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Along this same line I wonder how many people who ponied up the extra money for a Jeep Rubicon package even know what it is, appreciate its abilities, or ever use it off road? Most Rubicons I see around here I don't think ever leave the pavement but the owners spent primo dollars for that Rubicon badging which really looks cool on their Jeep.

I'm assuming you mean up through the current iteration of the Wrangler, along with the new Gladiator. I don't question whether these are capable off-road vehicles, particularly in their higher end Rubicon badging and otherwise, but for me there is something about a CJ-7 or even a rectangular headlight Wrangler with a straight six producing off-idle torque for off-road that the modern engines don't. Sure, they had weaknesses that the modern vehicles don't, but they also had plenty of strengths as the basis of a good performing vehicle.

The Wranglers are the last of the Real Jeeps.

NOPE-

No real Jeep, ever had rectangular headlights. ;)

CJ's were the last of 'real-Jeeps'.

When FIAT bought AMC-it all went down hill.

Bought my CJ-7 new in March of 1985.

Still is my daily driver to this day, with 122K miles and many mods done to it.

YES-still run'n a carb....

OLG

37 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

NOPE-

No real Jeep, ever had rectangular headlights. ;)

CJ's were the last of 'real-Jeeps'.

When FIAT bought AMC-it all went down hill.

Bought my CJ-7 new in March of 1985.

Still is my daily driver to this day, with 122K miles and many mods done to it.

YES-still run'n a carb....

OLG

Reasonable minds can disagree with that first statement.

Getting back to Dantankerous' issue, is this something that can be covered by insurance? If it were my dilemma I'd be checking junkyards for a replacement seat. There's little you can do for a foam seat that's been soiled by an alley cat.

11 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Getting back to Dantankerous' issue, is this something that can be covered by insurance? If it were my dilemma I'd be checking junkyards for a replacement seat. There's little you can do for a foam seat that's been soiled by an alley cat.

I have some experience with trying to eliminate cat odors. No matter what I have tried over the years you never get rid of it 100%. And just when you think you have it comes back. So I am pretty much resigned to replacing the seat. It did have a small rip in the cover so I am going to add that to my excuses to replace it entirely. I am searching for a used factory seat locally and have feelers out.

And as it has been rightly pointed out if I continue to drive w/o a top this could happen again so I also looking at install a pair of those skeleton mesh half doors when the top comes off to hopefully keep critters from helping themselves.

Just

Empty

Every

Pocket

:D

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

I'm assuming you mean up through the current iteration of the Wrangler, along with the new Gladiator. I don't question whether these are capable off-road vehicles, particularly in their higher end Rubicon badging and otherwise, but for me there is something about a CJ-7 or even a rectangular headlight Wrangler with a straight six producing off-idle torque for off-road that the modern engines don't. Sure, they had weaknesses that the modern vehicles don't, but they also had plenty of strengths as the basis of a good performing vehicle.

My first was a '75 CJ5. My second was a '76 CJ5. I do like me some older CJ models especially the '86 CJ7. Some very good vehicles in their day. My favorite however is probably the 2003-2005 LJ model.

The stock TJ or JK is a very capable off road vehicle as long as it has decent off road tires. And you're spot on...the older inline 6ers were fantastic motors in these Jeeps. Once jeeps are in your blood, they tend to stay there. Kind of like older Harleys, Triumphs, and BMW bikes.

45 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Just

Empty

Every

Pocket

I hear ya. The headliner in my old Jeep XJ Cherokee started falling down so I had to replace it a few weeks ago. That took up most of a weekend. Then I finally got around to fixing a bad oil leak. One more weekend spent in the garage instead of out in the sun. I finally got everything together and was feeling pretty good about myself when on the next drive I heard a loud pop in the driver's side door and the window glass dropped into the channel. Broken window regulator assembly. Now I had to spend more $$$ and get to celebrate the 4th tearing my Jeep apart yet again. :angry:

Howdy,

I have to interrupttt  the endless wisecracks with this,,,,

My local cleaner guy says to rent a carpet cleaner and spray/ vaccuummm

the seat for a couple HOURS. 

But if you want the car open, what difference is it to close it

while at work?

How about quick release seat?

Best

CR

Archived