SASS Wire Forum

Promoting SASS Via Good Sportsmanship VS Poor behavior

Preacher Kid

I've heard these stories and have been part of them in all the sports I've been heavily involved in...

This behaviour is not unique to CAS. The only difference is that CAS markets this behaviour while others just take it as part of life.

Phantom

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CAS and CAS shooters (most of them) seem pretty special to me.

5 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I've heard these stories and have been part of them in all the sports I've been heavily involved in...

This behaviour is not unique to CAS. The only difference is that CAS markets this behaviour while others just take it as part of life.

Phantom

4 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I have found the SASS community to be the most welcoming of the shooting sports I've been involved in by far

Legit statement, may be issues but nothing compared to others.........cough, cough, 3gun, cough,

9 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

We need to sell tickets and video this, could raise a lot of money for marketing SASS and/or a good charity.

I think I've disagreed with both of them. I've by far agreed with both of them though. I'd help either one if they needed it in a heartbeat. I'd sure like to sit down and play a few hands of poker with them both. Ty, you may be on to something...

12 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

We need to sell tickets and video this, could raise a lot of money for marketing SASS and/or a good charity.

Soft serve ice cream sales would go through the roof. I’d buy stock in DQ.

When I first joined SASS I was looking for guns and did not have a clue what was good or bad.I had cowboy sell me a pair what were not a pair.I bought a rifle that was so screwed up with some stuff that the cowboy make the gun look old with, the tube was all gunned up.I ask about Henry for a cowboy gun and got jumped on and ask if I work for Henry.That was the first two months I was in SASS.From that time on I have never had a bad dealing with a cowboy or cowgirl.There are people on the wire that I may never meet that are really good friends and I truly love them.There is a cowboy that I may never meet that has given so much to me and to the SASS world.There are gun smiths that have done work for me that I will never forget,Great cowboys and great smiths.There are cowgirls that have helped me get through some very had times.I love these ladies.There is a cowboy it seem like not a lot  like that much that is one of the nicest cowboys I have met.I am closer to my SASS family that I shoot with than I am some of my own family.If I never shoot a match I will go to matches just to see these cowboys and cowgirls.I am sure there are some rotten cowboys and maybe cowgirls also.But 99% of the one I have meet or dealt with have been great people.I have had run ins with people at shoots  but most of the time it has been taken care of.I love SASS and most of the people in it.Pit Bull Tex

1 hour ago, Tennessee williams said:

I think I've disagreed with both of them. I've by far agreed with both of them though. I'd help either one if they needed it in a heartbeat. I'd sure like to sit down and play a few hands of poker with them both. Ty, you may be on to something...

I wouldn't play poker with them.

One would call me a Cheat and the Other would shoot me.

And they both are great shooters so I would become ..... Hisssssss Tor Rie.

:lol:

..........Widder

5 hours ago, Kirk James said:

Preacher Kid is an incredible individual and world class shooter.  He is everything I think of when we refer to the cowboy way.   Please, read the topic and then go down through the responses and see if we are on track.  My kids and I have been with SASS for nine years now and have seen so many drop off the wire.  Great shooters that are an incredible source of information.  Don't get me wrong.  When I go to shoots my family is around the best individuals I have ever been associated with.  They are kind and respectful and will do anything for anyone.   I lost my brakes at EOT going to day 2 .  If it wasn't for Preacher Kid's family, Old Short Tom, Little Red Sure Shot's family and my older son Kirk I would have been stuck in Moriority for an extra two days and missed a medical procedure I have been waiting a long time for.  Everyone worked together to assist me in getting my truck back to the hotel.  My son jumped on a train at 2am and brought parts from Flagstaff using a car he keeps in Belin New Mexico and together we fixed problem allowing me to get home.  I have utmost respect for SASS shooters and value the input from Preacher Kid.  Thanks for standing up and telling us how you feel and thanks for sharing your faith. 

I appreciate the kind words, and enjoy spending time with you and your amazing family. I hate it that we don’t get together more often! In response to my original post...I think the SASS community is amazing and some of my most favorite people and best friends are shooters. I would do anything for them on and off the range. Anyhow, thank you for the post and everything you do. You guys are true ambassadors for SASS and the kingdom. 

Hi Folks,

Seriously, having the last word isn't all it is "cracked up to be" unless you're a moderator and can lock the thread after having the last word.

Otherwise, it can go on and on to the point that people start picking sides. We don't need that in a gun sport. We have enough outsiders who don't like us to risk alienating people who share our views on something as important as the Constitution and its Amendments.

Might I, pretty please, ask to stop the animosity that I see this thread turning to.

Regards,

Allie Mo

18 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Hi Folks,

Seriously, having the last word isn't all it is "cracked up to be" unless you're a moderator and can lock the thread after having the last word.

Otherwise, it can go on and on to the point that people start picking sides. We don't need that in a gun sport. We have enough outsiders who don't like us to risk alienating people who share our views on something as important as the Constitution and its Amendments.

Might I, pretty please, ask to stop the animosity that I see this thread turning to.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Allie I love ya, but... There's always a but, right? I feel like there may have been some progress coming along and sometimes threads get deleted a bit quick. (I understand and agree with deleting a personal attack and some of it needed it). It's kind of like kids in school now. Back in the day you argued and got it out of your system and may become friends. Nowadays, two kids argue and the school keeps them separated until tempers build up too much. That's when bad stuff happens. 

I agree TW. We were getting to the heart of something, positions had been taken, it was a question of fact, which could be established, and bang, down the memory hole, back to square one.

Doesn’t matter, the OP had it right. SASS people have something special, it’s nothing to do with genetics, and it’s not even really about shooting, it’s shared values, community, and priorities.

Not all get it, but the vast majority do. 

On 7/2/2019 at 5:21 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

If you're referring to me calling Krazy Kajun a 'CoonAss', then I'm guilty to the n'th degree.

And I'll still be guilty of it tommorrow..... :lol:

Matter of fact, Krazy Kajun is one of the finest CoonAss pards anywhere.

Yadda yadda some other stuff

I can tell you one thing...... That CoonAss Krazy Kajun understand it..... :D

..........Widder

There I wuz minding my own business and Widder called my name, and called me a name! :lol: Folks that know me know I'm more than proud to be called a coonass, its my heritage and I celebrate it every chance I get.  I tell you I'm Krazy right up front in my alias and if'n yore Franch is gud you'd call me Couyon Acadiens.  CBB and other folks that mentioned my name are all pards and we have an understanding, we all don't take ourselves too seriously.  If you do you're just gonna be disappointed and life is too short to let anyone steal your joy!

WWJD....I think He'd tell you to remember to treat others as you'd like to be treated.  It don't always happen that way and if someone treats you wrong sometimes just give them a little grace and let it go.  If it gets to be a habit with them then you'd need to deal with it in an appropriate manner remembering to be gentle with your rebuke and kind with your words.....I think that's what Jesus Would Do!

Kajun

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Hi Folks,

Regards,

Allie Mo

I agree with you. Honestly, I very rarely even get on the wire because it usually goes sour...I probably wont be back on after this for a while. To go back to the original post....this has been on my mind for years. I am tired of putting it to the side, so I made posted what I felt. I hear a lot of posters saying, well the vast percentage of shooters are not that way...but remember, poor behavior is contagious. It may start out with a handful of folks but before you know it, a disease has spread. 

Pk

9 hours ago, McCandless said:

this guy working in a gun store named Royal Barnes...

but...Bill was a homicide detective.

9 hours ago, Choctaw Jack said:

the Cowboy community helping its' members in times of need.

there was a time we had a very active Cowboy construction crew.  People needed something built or fixed, we got it done.  We share what we have, including skills.

On FB I am in jail a lot.I am in jail now for talking about OBAMA and muslims and democrats..I have always said what I thought and it get me in trouble some time.I still think SASS people folks are some of the best people in the world.I guess I am some what like Phantom is some ways..Wish I shot as fast as him.I like him and have talked to him at some shoot.He is really a nice man.Phantom,I am not sucking up just saying what I think.

12 hours ago, MizPete said:

but...Bill was a homicide detective.

And the Lt. in charge of Raleigh's SWAT team.  I used to love to sit around after a Creedmoor match and listen to him and Sandhills Slim swap stories.

I :wub: Phantom, Bill, and PK for different reasons and the same reasons. (Read between those lines. ;) )

I've only met one of them. That is the type of bond that our beloved sport will create. It makes me very :( to see dear friends tear each other apart. Arguing is okay. I'm saddened by animosity.

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 6:37 PM, Tennessee williams said:

Allie I love ya, but... There's always a but, right? I feel like there may have been some progress coming along and sometimes threads get deleted a bit quick. (I understand and agree with deleting a personal attack and some of it needed it). It's kind of like kids in school now. Back in the day you argued and got it out of your system and may become friends. Nowadays, two kids argue and the school keeps them separated until tempers build up too much. That's when bad stuff happens. 

Hi TW,

My post wasn't a request to have the thread locked. It was intended to make a point to Phantom and Bill. I've had many conversations with both of them and hoped they'd stop the hijack of PK's thread.

Regards,

AM

45 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Hi TW,

My post wasn't a request to have the thread locked. It was intended to make a point to Phantom and Bill. I've had many conversations with both of them and hoped they'd stop the hijack of PK's thread.

Regards,

AM

I gotcha. I just thought since it followed the deleting of most of the thread...that's what I get for thinkin'.

21 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

I gotcha. I just thought since it followed the deleting of most of the thread...that's what I get for thinkin'.

Go have a cold ice cream at DQ.   That's help clear up those cobwebs................ well, atleast it does for me.

:D

and as a Southern Gentleman (?), try to remember to address Allie Mo on this Wire with atleast one :wub: in your reply.

;)

..........Widder

On 7/2/2019 at 7:09 AM, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

My first big match was the Plainfield Raid outside of Sacramento, CA run by Diamond Dick and company.

Those guys were AWESOME! Welcomed me in as a new cowboy...

My wife and I are new SASS members, and today will be attending our 3rd match at Diamond Dick's.
We have also been greeted and made to feel welcome.

If I was going to guess, I'd say that brusque treatment on social media is probably a response to the endless repeating noob questions that come up.
After doing something all day, every day for 45 years, I forget my level of skill far exceeds that of the noobs.
I catch myself doing this when I am presented with noob computer questions.

Whenever I need my head deflated, my wife puts me in front of her 8 bobbin serger and says, "Ok smart guy... make it work."
That does the trick..

On 7/5/2019 at 9:24 AM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Hi TW,

Regards,

AM

I'm sorry. I still love ya!:D:wub::):lol:;)

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Go have a cold ice cream at DQ.   That's help clear up those cobwebs................ well, atleast it does for me.

:D

and as a Southern Gentleman (?), try to remember to address Allie Mo on this Wire with atleast one :wub: in your reply.

;)

..........Widder

This is an A and B conversation so C your way out of it. Make like a tree and Bark. You slow-shotgunnin' lowdown yankee kitchen table gun butcherin dog you. (Typed in my best Ron Wright trash talking pvoice).:ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

This is an A and B conversation so C your way out of it. Make like a tree and Bark. You slow-shotgunnin' lowdown yankee kitchen table gun butcherin dog you. (Typed in my best Ron Wright trash talking pvoice).:ph34r:

I can 'Bark' like a tree.

I'm slow and lowdown.

And I have great pride in my kitchen table gun butcherin work.

And I have been called a dog.

But the 'yankee' part is insulting..... ;)

I hope your next DQ Blizzard melts before you get the first bite..... :D

..........Widder

3 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

You forgot to add NimbleSOB! :lol:

Kajun

1 minute ago, Krazy Kajun said:

You forgot to add NimbleSOB! :lol:

Kajun

Thank you Krazy.   I worked hard to earn that name.

But some interloppers will try to lecture you on appropriate wire behavior and respect

when they know little to nothing about friendships, etc.....

Ya know, it ain't to often ole 'JawBone'  down in Florida can pen a worthy name on

a feller Cowboy. 

..........Widder

Archived