Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Preacher Kid

Promoting SASS Via Good Sportsmanship VS Poor behavior

Recommended Posts

I have noticed a trend in CAS in the last couple of years where shooters are attacking other shooters, mostly on social media...

 

Wether it be posting a video in poor taste just to stir the pot, calling someone inappropriate names, accusing others of cheating off the range instead of handling it like adults while at an event, starting false rumors about others,  or even make threatening comments to another shooter. 

 

I believe that if we all want to continue to play this game...we should be promoting SASS through respect and good sportsmanship before shooting skills and titles. We need to grow and encourage youth and families to join for the next generation of cowboy shooters. When you post negative comments about others online, people who may become interested in CAS could possibly be steered away because of what they see. Let us show the world how much fun they are missing out on! 

 

Be nice to folks and they will do the same in return....

 

If you have a problem with someone, talk to them about it before creating a false reputation for that person...(BE AN ADULT) 

 

We should all be friends and cheer our competitor on when they are doing well and we are not, because at the end of the day...we are just there to visit with our cowboy family.....at least thats why I continue to be involved. 

 

Love one another like Jesus does, shoot your best, and always have fun! 

 

Your friend on and off the range, 

 

PK

  • Like 14
  • Thanks 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a first year shooter in CAS, I was pleased to see how much comradery and fellowship there was, and the lack of "elitists", that seem to plague most other sports/activities I've been involved with.

 After joining in on a few social media pages, I'm starting to see that this group is much smaller, but still exists in CAS.

Let's be as good to one another online, as we are at a shoot!

 

Chertrock

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PK, I've noticed you have well over 100 views but I'm only the 2nd reply. Do we have guilt? I do.

I joined SASS coming from a practical pistol discipline mostly due to the great attitudes everyone had.

My first big match was the Plainfield Raid outside of Sacramento, CA run by Diamond Dick and company.

Those guys were AWESOME! Welcomed me in as a new cowboy and one pard even loaned me his 1885 High Wall and 20 45/70s for a long range match.

I was hooked! I know you are going to have those that competition gets the best of and they get a little "edgy" in their attitudes, but attacking others on the wire and other places shows anyone watching that we need to get back to better attitudes. I'm guilty and I'm sorry for anyone I've been short with on the wire.

I'll try to do better.     Thanks PK, many of us can do better.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We live in a culture that is based upon competition, at work or at play.  As Americans losing is unacceptable and it is all about  the win.  There are those  few which just get nasty in the course of competition.   Within this venue it is completely unacceptable.  The spirit of the game must prevail and always be in the forefront of all that we do and represent.  I find that type of behavior, especially behind the shroud of social media is especially cowardice. If you have a problem with me, tell me to my face.  The overwhelming majority of those in CAS   are of the highest personal character, although I have seen those few that are marginal on a good day.  Personally I just call them on it when I witness it, remember it is just a game, it is about the fun and the friendships.  I have yet to see someone win a $75,000 Ram at any shoot I have been to.  Just enjoy the ride and 99% of you'all do.  Proud to be a part of it all.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well said PK. It’s so easy to get snarky on social media, especially when somebody says something negative. It’s in our (sinful) nature to bite back!  I try to remember these 2 truths 

 

1) just because a jackass brays at you it doesn’t mean you have to bray back. 

2) never argue with an idiot. He will just drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience. 

 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Preacher Kid said:

I have noticed a trend in CAS in the last couple of years where shooters are attacking other shooters, mostly on social media...

 

Wether it be posting a video in poor taste just to stir the pot, calling someone inappropriate names, accusing others of cheating off the range instead of handling it like adults while at an event, starting false rumors about others,  or even make threatening comments to another shooter. 

 

I believe that if we all want to continue to play this game...we should be promoting SASS through respect and good sportsmanship before shooting skills and titles. We need to grow and encourage youth and families to join for the next generation of cowboy shooters. When you post negative comments about others online, people who may become interested in CAS could possibly be steered away because of what they see. Let us show the world how much fun they are missing out on! 

 

Be nice to folks and they will do the same in return....

 

If you have a problem with someone, talk to them about it before creating a false reputation for that person...(BE AN ADULT) 

 

We should all be friends and cheer our competitor on when they are doing well and we are not, because at the end of the day...we are just there to visit with our cowboy family.....at least thats why I continue to be involved. 

 

Love one another like Jesus does, shoot your best, and always have fun! 

 

Your friend on and off the range, 

 

PK

I can't disagree with any of this.  Your idealism is admirable.  Unfortunately any time you get a large enough group of people together you're going to get some who are, shall we say, 'unsociable' or maybe 'poorly raised.'  SASS has a lower proportion of these people than the general population, but they are still among us and probably always will be.  I do my best to ignore them, though sometimes I fail.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Preacher Kid said:

I have noticed a trend in CAS in the last couple of years where shooters are attacking other shooters, mostly on social media...

 

... calling someone inappropriate names,

 

If you're referring to me calling Krazy Kajun a 'CoonAss', then I'm guilty to the n'th degree.

And I'll still be guilty of it tommorrow..... :lol:

Matter of fact, Krazy Kajun is one of the finest CoonAss pards anywhere.

 

And I've been called one of the best "Kitchen Table Butchers", of which I proudly admit.

 

Ya see, some of the stuff on this Wire is back and forth banter that often is stated in public,

face to face, etc.....  

The problem is that some folks have taken it upon theyowndangself to pass judgements on

things they no little about.

 

This Wire is full of Friendships..... tight, life long friendships.

If Phantom wants to tell me I'm crazzzzzzy,  it would be in the same spirit as telling me

I'm crazy at the lunch table as we dine together as friends.

 

But most folks don't see that nor do they understand some of these things.

 

I can tell you one thing...... That CoonAss Krazy Kajun understand it..... :D

 

..........Widder

 

  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My post got pulled (as I expected), because I gave the background on the OP's post and yes, it got a bit personal. 

 

Fact is that folks on the WIRE and FB...etc, are kidding themselves if they think that what a person posts on a Social Media platform is representative of their true self. For good or for bad, we simply do NOT know each other unless we've actually spent some time with each other.

 

We do nothing but pump ego's up...telling folks how great they are when we know NOTHING of them. Oh, wait...I spent 2 minutes at a match talking with them...they were soooooo nice...they must be good folks!

 

I know a lot of you dislike (or worse), me and others for how they respond on this forum. Just as you "LIKE" someone based on what is said on this forum...it's unfathomable how you can do that without actually KNOWING these folks.

 

That's my rant...like imaginary folks if it's that important to you...I'll reserve judgement till after I have truly gotten to know someone...

 

Phantom

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My contribution;

remember the medium that we are using to communicate with each other. Several people have said "most people don't know..." and they are correct. Most people don't know your inside jokes or your crass sarcasm over the Internet - so you might consider not using it in this format. Be considerate of Most People.

 

You are not at the lunch table together, and there are no additional social ques on the black and white keyboard to give anyone context. Keep those conversations at the lunch table - the Internet doesn't understand them, neither do most people.

 

and the rest of you should learn to read the text as written.  

If the writer says "fish" there is a pretty good chance he means "fish". I'm amazed at how some can jump to conclusions and bash the writer for say "the world is coming to an end and I'm offering you " when the writer really just wanted to say "fish".

 

now you're going to mock me and bully my comments, but let me remind you that if I yell "Fire" in a crowded theatre, people could get hurt, or they could assume I was just joking around with my friend and ignore it - what do you really think would happen ?!? Consider where you are - on the Internet.

 

and if I'm around the campfire, and someone calls Kajun those names to his face, I'm walking away.

 

Really, WWJD ?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

 

That's my rant...like imaginary folks if it's that important to you...I'll reserve judgement till after I have truly gotten to know someone...

 

Phantom

I didn’t know that in addition to your other skills you are a comedian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Captain Bill Burt said:

I didn’t know that in addition to your other skills you are a comedian.

You are painfully mistaken if you think I've judged you...I'll wait until we meet.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, T-Square said:

My contribution;

remember the medium that we are using to communicate with each other. Several people have said "most people don't know..." and they are correct. Most people don't know your inside jokes or your crass sarcasm over the Internet - so you might consider not using it in this format. Be considerate of Most People.

 

You are not at the lunch table together, and there are no additional social ques on the black and white keyboard to give anyone context. Keep those conversations at the lunch table - the Internet doesn't understand them, neither do most people.

 

and the rest of you should learn to read the text as written.  

If the writer says "fish" there is a pretty good chance he means "fish". I'm amazed at how some can jump to conclusions and bash the writer for say "the world is coming to an end and I'm offering you " when the writer really just wanted to say "fish".

 

now you're going to mock me and bully my comments, but let me remind you that if I yell "Fire" in a crowded theatre, people could get hurt, or they could assume I was just joking around with my friend and ignore it - what do you really think would happen ?!? Consider where you are - on the Internet.

 

and if I'm around the campfire, and someone calls Kajun those names to his face, I'm walking away.

 

Really, WWJD ?

These guys are buds T. I grew up around and with Cajuns, got plenty of that Cajun in me too on the French side. Coon a** is not an insult from one to the other or between friends. 

 

I still remember when my grandfather Burt moved to the LA bayou. His nickname was Cooney. Plenty of laughs out of that.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

These guys are buds T. I grew up around and with Cajuns, got plenty of that Cajun in me too on the French side. Coon a** is not an insult from one to the other or between friends. 

 

I still remember when my grandfather Burt moved to the LA bayou. His nickname was Cooney. Plenty of laughs out of that.

If. You really want to risk up a Cajun just say “he couyon Him”. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually ask myself wwwd? Then, iffen someone aint badmouthin' me or mine; I don't worry about it. That way I don't have to figure out if they're calling someone a salamander out of hate or just funnin'.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

These guys are buds T. I grew up around and with Cajuns, got plenty of that Cajun in me too on the French side. Coon a** is not an insult from one to the other or between friends. 

 

I still remember when my grandfather Burt moved to the LA bayou. His nickname was Cooney. Plenty of laughs out of that.

 

Thanks Capt.

It is a perfect example how folks like to tell others how we should converse in our friendships without knowing

about those friendships.    And then try to dictate how we should present ourselves on media forums

without knowing these things are actually done in respect.

 

I'm hurt that no one was bothered that I've been called a "Kitchen Table Butcher"..... :lol::D

But TN Williams has probably called me worse..... ;)

 

WWJD?    Well, HE told his disciples not to concern themselves with things HE hadn't instructed 

them to do.    AND... he basically told Martha to get back in the kitchen and stop concerning herself

with the doings of Mary.

 

..........Widder

 

Edited by Widder, SASS #59054
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I only judge others negatively based on first hand experience with how they treat me.

Me too. I think for some people the Internet is like booze, inhibitions go away.

 

A drunk man’s words are a sober man’s thoughts.

 

I don’t have a lot of filters, so Internet or in person, as Fast Eddie once told me ‘people always know where they stand with you Bill.’

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

 

Thanks Capt.

It is a perfect example how folks like to tell others how we should converse in our friendships without knowing

about those friendships.    And then try to dictate how we should present ourselves on media forums

without knowing these things are actually done in respect.

 

I'm hurt that no one was bothered that I've been called a "Kitchen Table Butcher"..... :lol::D

But TN Williams has probably called me worse..... ;)

 

WWJD?    Well, he told his disciples not to concern themselves with things HE hadn't instructed 

them to do.    AND... he basically told Martha to get back in the kitchen and stop concerning herself

with the doings of Mary.

 

..........Widder

 

You can ‘butcher’ a Henry or Marlin for me anytime! Heck I’ll pay for it.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tennessee williams said:

I usually ask myself wwwd? Then, iffen someone aint badmouthin' me or mine; I don't worry about it. That way I don't have to figure out if they're calling someone a salamander out of hate or just funnin'.

You two fellers do eat a large amount of DQ ice cream, just sayin.......

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

i had some today too. Is that poor behavior?

Edited by Yul Lose
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all, let me say I would be proud to be a CoonAss if I were so fortunate as to be one.

And I keep hoping this is a forum where we can say what we feel without somebody's ex-husband/wife nerve getting stepped on.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every family has its black sheep, and we're no exception.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

WWJD?    Well, HE told his disciples not to concern themselves with things HE hadn't instructed 

them to do.    AND... he basically told Martha to get back in the kitchen and stop concerning herself

with the doings of Mary.

 

..........Widder

 

 

11 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

I usually ask myself wwwd? Then, iffen someone aint badmouthin' me or mine; I don't worry about it. That way I don't have to figure out if they're calling someone a salamander out of hate or just funnin'.

WWWD...………...What Would Wyatt Do:huh:;)  Sometimes I'll follow his lead as long as there ain't no Black Stars involved:D

 

Jefro:ph34r:Relax-Enjoy

Edited by Jefro, SASS#69420
add

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy JEDI Jefro.

I usually ask myself.... "What Would Ben Cartwright Do"?

 

Ride into town, have a short argument with his good friend Sheriff Coffey,  head over to the Saloon and have

hisowndangself a cooooooool beverage and go back home.  

 

..........Widder

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Howdy JEDI Jefro.

I usually ask myself.... "What Would Ben Cartwright Do"?

 

Ride into town, have a short argument with his good friend Sheriff Coffey,  head over to the Saloon and have

hisowndangself a cooooooool beverage and go back home.  

 

..........Widder

 

Howdy JEDI Master Widder, long time no see, may be up your way in the fall. Good Luck:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

We do nothing but pump ego's up...telling folks how great they are when we know NOTHING of them. Oh, wait...I spent 2 minutes at a match talking with them...they were soooooo nice...they must be good folks!

No worries, my meme was pulled also-oh well. Well said, here though scarily accurate. 

 

I have steered clear of the wire for the most part due to the amount of one uppers, comments, tones, and the fact I use pop culture references memes, and funny $&*@ in general that does not translate well here. For the most part just not good with this social on line happenings, however thought I would dip my toe in the pool and interact with some folks to get more knowledgable of the community (and its working I don't think your a A$$ any longer :D-to soon?).

 

Long story longer I agree with you just not going to know someone from on online engagement. 

 

Now on to building my rock star persona :D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jefro, SASS#69420 said:

Howdy JEDI Master Widder, long time no see, may be up your way in the fall. Good Luck:)

 

Come on up.   If ya come to the TN State, you'll probably get to meet the infamous Red Knee

from Oklahoma.   Be sure to bring him a Snicker's candy bar..... ;)

 

..........Widder

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

 

WWJD?    Well, HE told his disciples not to concern themselves with things HE hadn't instructed 

them to do.    AND... he basically told Martha to get back in the kitchen and stop concerning herself

with the doings of Mary.

 

..........Widder

 

 

He was also known for turning over tables and coming after you with a whip.

 

Speaking of promoting SASS....

 

Heck, I would find it interesting to even see SASS promoting its own dang self.

 

Anyone look to see when the last time that SASS added anything from their World Championships to their YouTube Channel?

 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZn3ZFUyLC1Pkt5F7gIxzTQ

 

FOUR YEARS AGO!

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

   That's a good point, Branch. Some things need to come from the top. If people come to a shoot and talk with most of us they will stay and start shooting. Something has to get them here in the first place though. Word of mouth is good but will only go so far. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pure luck I ever even heard of SASS.  Read about it in Guns and Ammo and had to find out what it was like. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Pure luck I ever even heard of SASS.  Read about it in Guns and Ammo and had to find out what it was like. 

 

Same here, except it was Shooting Times.   An article about EoT by Mike Venturino.   1999 or 2000... I think.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Preacher Kid is an incredible individual and world class shooter.  He is everything I think of when we refer to the cowboy way.   Please, read the topic and then go down through the responses and see if we are on track.  My kids and I have been with SASS for nine years now and have seen so many drop off the wire.  Great shooters that are an incredible source of information.  Don't get me wrong.  When I go to shoots my family is around the best individuals I have ever been associated with.  They are kind and respectful and will do anything for anyone.   I lost my brakes at EOT going to day 2 .  If it wasn't for Preacher Kid's family, Old Short Tom, Little Red Sure Shot's family and my older son Kirk I would have been stuck in Moriority for an extra two days and missed a medical procedure I have been waiting a long time for.  Everyone worked together to assist me in getting my truck back to the hotel.  My son jumped on a train at 2am and brought parts from Flagstaff using a car he keeps in Belin New Mexico and together we fixed problem allowing me to get home.  I have utmost respect for SASS shooters and value the input from Preacher Kid.  Thanks for standing up and telling us how you feel and thanks for sharing your faith. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Stump Water said:

 

Same here, except it was Shooting Times.   An article about EoT by Mike Venturino.   1999 or 2000... I think.

For me, there was this guy working in a gun store named Royal Barnes...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To the wire;

I haven't  been an active CAS shooter for all that long but it still impresses me when I read stories like Kirk James' ,of the Cowboy community helping its' members in times of need.

I've been in those spots more than once myself, on both sides of the situation.

Like any other family we have our differences and disagreements, but at the end of the day we all seem to be pulling in the same direction.

In my book you can't ask for much better.

I'm happy to be a member of such a group.

Choctaw Jack 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.