SASS Wire Forum

Dillon SL 900 Thoughts On This Reloader

Lefty Vaquero #39185

It's a very nice shotgun shell reloader that is probably overkill for the number of rounds we shoot for SASS.  If you are loading for multiple shooters or shoot a lot of skeet or sporting clays, you could probably justify it.   Dillon makes great reloading equipment but it ain't cheap.  I've got a shotgun reloading press and I still shoot factory loads.  I just don't save enough on reloading shotgun shells to justify the effort.  

At that price point, you can almost get a Ponsness Warren progressive, which most shotgunning folks like better than the Dillon.

A Mec 600 JR, a Mec Grabber, or a Hornady 366 are all fully capable of keeping several cowboys in shotgun shells.  And all are adjustable enough to make as light a load as you can make work.

Good luck, GJ

I like mine! I haven’t had it long, but I got it for $850 including the case feeder, which is a great deal. It’s faster than the Mec I had and doesn’t drop shot or powder unless there is a hull in place. It takes a bit to get it set up properly, but once you have it set up it will crank out the rounds.

As Bob said it may be overkill for some, but at the price I paid and loading for four CAS shooters it made sense.

I have one I got from my dad when he had to quit shooting. It is a great press, I like it and it is overkill for loading for two people. I dont think I could justify the price for CAS shooting only. He used to shoot lots of skeet and trap. It is amazing to watch everything happen as it works. It hasnt been too difficult to get set for cowboy loads and only occasionally hiccups- mostly primer feeds.

Imis

I got a used one very a very good price.  Took quite a bit of adjustment to get it to put out good shells, but once it was done, it was done.

It now produces great shells, at a high speed.  The case automatic case feeder is wonderful.

With the Dillon powder and shot measures, you can dial in exactly the charge/shot you want.

Still kept my MEC Grabber for black powder shells.  Having two presses is nice to not have to change back and forth for black powder/smokeless.

I highly recommend the SL900 if you can afford it and have a little mechanical expertise to understand it and adjust it. 

We scored one on Ebay in '06 for $600 complete! Probably 8-10 yrs old. Some parts were in need of replacing back then & got everything free from Dillon. At the time, I worked 3 miles from the Dillon store. It was my personal candy store! We have been loading both smokeless & BP subs for about 13 yrs since! Took it in & got an overhaul about 3 yrs ago. Only thing I didn't like with that experience was that the shot drop tube had been downsized to prevent occasional bending of the wads. We load only reclaimed shot, have for yrs, and there was occasional jamming in the tube with 1 1/8 oz. of shot for smoky loads. Called them, they found my original in the trash & sent it back. Love it and see no reason to change. Great loader!

DC

Just say NO. I've got one, when it works, very picky. Ol #4 has one he's trying to unload. Rum Walker has one, talk to him. They're a dog to get running and to keep them running. Powder falls out of the drop station all over the floor/bench. If I had to do it again, I'd look for a different one.

Archived