SASS Wire Forum

Colt Custom Shop

El Hombre Sin Nombre

Howdy all,

For those of you that are interested in ordering from the Colt Custom Shop, they are taking orders once again. The web site doesn't say as much, and a call to the mainline also won't reveal how to place the order, but it can be done if you can get a hold of the right people. For those that weren't aware, Colt closed down taking orders for the custom shop a couple years ago. They purpose was to get caught up on the incredible backlog. I managed to place an order just a few weeks prior to them ceasing orders and I still haven't received mine yet. That was two and a half years ago now (though I am told that mine finally enters production next week and will be ready by the end of August). About a year ago, Colt opened up the custom shop for 1911 orders, but it stayed closed for SAA orders. Well it is now open again, but there is a catch. The starting price for any custom shop SAA is $3450. No that is not a misprint, and no that is not a special order with engraving, ivory, or anything else. That is just your standard 45 colt or 357. Any thing else just increases the price further. I was told that the purpose for this price hike was because the custom shop guns get twice the work that the shop floor guns get (whatever the heck that is supposed to mean) and to catch up with the backlog and insure that it stays low. These custom shop guns are supposedly finished in 90-120 days, though recently someone was quoted 8-12 month still. I am just passing on this information to anyone that is interested in ordering a Colt SAA from the custom shop and is willing to pay to get it done. I, for one, will continue buying my Colts on the used market. Good luck out there.

5 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Howdy all,

For those of you that are interested in ordering from the Colt Custom Shop, they are taking orders once again. The web site doesn't say as much, and a call to the mainline also won't reveal how to place the order, but it can be done if you can get a hold of the right people. For those that weren't aware, Colt closed down taking orders for the custom shop a couple years ago. They purpose was to get caught up on the incredible backlog. I managed to place an order just a few weeks prior to them ceasing orders and I still haven't received mine yet. That was two and a half years ago now (though I am told that mine finally enters production next week and will be ready by the end of August). About a year ago, Colt opened up the custom shop for 1911 orders, but it stayed closed for SAA orders. Well it is now open again, but there is a catch. The starting price for any custom shop SAA is $3450. No that is not a misprint, and no that is not a special order with engraving, ivory, or anything else. That is just your standard 45 colt or 357. Any thing else just increases the price further. I was told that the purpose for this price hike was because the custom shop guns get twice the work that the shop floor guns get (whatever the heck that is supposed to mean) and to catch up with the backlog and insure that it stays low. These custom shop guns are supposedly finished in 90-120 days, though recently someone was quoted 8-12 month still. I am just passing on this information to anyone that is interested in ordering a Colt SAA from the custom shop and is willing to pay to get it done. I, for one, will continue buying my Colts on the used market. Good luck out there.

If you ever get the opportunity to attend a Little Johns firearms auction up in the Anaheim area do so. I’ve bought some very nice Colts at very reasonable prices at this auction and the best part is you get to really inspect and fondle them before you bid.

1 minute ago, Yul Lose said:

If you ever get the opportunity to attend a Little Johns firearms auction up in the Anaheim area do so. I’ve bought some very nice Colts at very reasonable prices at this auction and the best part is you get to really inspect and fondle them before you bid.

If I ever get some free time when I am in Anaheim, I'll do that. The only times I get there these days is when I take the kids to Disneyland

1 minute ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

If I ever get some free time when I am in Anaheim, I'll do that. The only times I get there these days is when I take the kids to Disneyland

That’s what grandparents are for.:P.

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

And to think I'm selling some LNIB late 1st gens...but at a bit higher price.

:ph34r:

Why is this the first I’m hearing of it?

I love Colts but $3450.00 is outrageous!!!! When the word gets out that's gonna lift the used prices up! :o

10 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Why is this the first I’m hearing of it?

I don't sell on the Wire:o

I just sold a beautiful 1st Gen in the box with factory ivory steer head grips.

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I don't sell on the Wire:o

I just sold a beautiful 1st Gen in the box with factory ivory steer head grips.

I hate you!

17 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

The starting price for any custom shop SAA is $3450. No that is not a misprint, and no that is not a special order with engraving, ivory, or anything else. That is just your standard 45 colt or 357. Any thing else just increases the price further.

Wow!

I've done a lot better than that with some real nice 2nd Gens. I don't think I paid that much for a couple of 1st Gens, although they do have a bit of wear on them.

46 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

We'll have to get together sometime and share our collection!

;)

I somehow think that you'll get bored much quicker than I would, but sure. Anytime

7 minutes ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Wow!

I've done a lot better than that with some real nice 2nd Gens. I don't think I paid that much for a couple of 1st Gens, although they do have a bit of wear on them.

Those are my favorite kind

17 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Howdy all,

What is it that Colt is manufacturing that is taking up so much time that they have to raise the price of SAAs to a point that they

reduce demand?

Archived