SASS Wire Forum

Shootin Glasses

Johnny Harlan

Just wondering if any of you have nice shooting glasses and do they make a difference?  I have been using flea market glasses for my short time and am wondering if I am missing out on something.

Thanks in advance.

JH

I have always used affordable safety glasses because I am notorious for losing or scratching them. Last year I finally got around to buying a decent pair of Wiley X glasses with polarized lenses. Much better contrast and they fit correctly. Definitely worth it in my opinion and worth the effort to keep track of them. :)

8 minutes ago, Straight Arrow Hombre said:

I have always used affordable safety glasses because I am notorious for losing or scratching them. Last year I finally got around to buying a decent pair of Wiley X glasses with polarized lenses. Much better contrast and they fit correctly. Definitely worth it in my opinion and worth the effort to keep track of them. :)

I notice Deuce posted something on Facebook about the same set.  Where is the best place to get em?  Thanks for the info.

8 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Been using these for a spell-Best I've ever used.

https://wileyx.com/tactical/pt-1-sunglasses-pt-1s

Get'em here........

https://www.opticsplanet.com/shooting-glasses.html

OLG

Looks like there are several variations.  Which ones u reckon are the better?

Just now, Johnny Harlan said:

The one in my first link fits me--might not fit you.

You really need to try before you buy. 

I have the clear and grey lens.

OLG

Folks need to start thinking about their responses a bit more.  If you wouldn't say it to their face, perhaps the tone should change.

1 minute ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

My problem, lately, is I find a nice pair...that last me a couple of years...that I need to replace...only to find out that they were discontinued.

:angry:

They have to change designs so that you have to buy new ones...gotta keep up with the fashion trends ya know!

13 minutes ago, Johnny Harlan said:

I went to a gun shop that had a large selection and found what fits me. Good thing I did, because the model I was going to order didn’t fit as well as what I now own. (Wiley X Omega)

3 minutes ago, Straight Arrow Hombre said:

I went to a gun shop that had a large selection and found what fits me. Good thing I did, because the model I was going to order didn’t fit as well as what I now own. (Wiley X Omega)

Good info.  I will need to find a place I can try them on.  Thanks.

Ran into the same problem as Branchwater Jack. When I wore contacts I would find a pair that fit well and a couple years later go to get new ones and they would be discontinued, further the replacements never fit as well:wacko: Usually one of the Wiley X worked ok.

I currently use good single vision prescription lenses one set in clear and one in grey. I normally use bifocals but I do not know if they meet the ansi standards for shooting lenses so why take chances?

Protect your eyes my friends, you are only given one pair so please don't sacrifice them for a game.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I am issued Wiley X’s at work and have multiple sets. I prefer the older Romer II’s over the Romer III’s. But they are great durable glasses. In my personal time I prefer Oakley’s. 

Good info Gateway.  Much appreciated.

43 minutes ago, Straight Arrow Hombre said:

SAH, i will most likely not find a place to try these on in my location.  At the risk of someone harpin on me...lol... i have a pumpkin head and do not have a big nose.  I may risk it and go with some of these Wiley glasses.  Do u happen to have the same characteristics or could u suggets a pair to me?  Maybe I should call the company?  Thanks pal..

46 minutes ago, Straight Arrow Hombre said:

Hey Johnny.  As a suggestion, you might reach out to Scarlett Darlin.  I saw that she sells safety glasses and if you coordinated with her before a match (like if you were going to come down to Greenville again) I'm sure she'd be happy to bring some for you to try on in person.  I can send you her contact information if you need it, just let me know.

As we have shot together a couple of times, you know I am new to CAS but not to shooting.  While the "it's just your eyes..." comment above sounded flippant and unnecessarily rude, I would offer that somewhere beneath it is the message that the #1 priority should be eye protection.  There is way too much chance for us to get a ricochet or gun malfunction in the face to risk using anything not ANSI rated to protect our eyes (the Wiley appear ANSI rated).  Also I would recommend looking for UV protection.  Other than that it's all preference - clear, yellow, pink, smoke, frame/frameless...I have tried a bunch and they all have pros and cons. 

We use Oakley Radar Lock frames with the photo-chromatic lenses. They are clear until you get in the sun. They adjust perfectly to shooting light conditions without going too dark. We’ve used these for several years now. 

19 hours ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

Folks need to start thinking about their responses a bit more.  If you wouldn't say it to their face, perhaps the tone should change.

Good luck with that.  Some think that as long as they're right being an obnoxious know it all is perfectly fine.

To the OP - WileyX are great glasses, my wife and I both wear them.  My middle son wears high quality shooting glasses (can't remember right now what they are) over his prescription lenses.  You can get them at the places listed above and they're also on Amazon.

Remember, stuff may come at you from the sides, not just from down range, so you need good glasses WITH side protection.

3 hours ago, Smokey Bandit said:

Hey Johnny.  As a suggestion, you might reach out to Scarlett Darlin.  I saw that she sells safety glasses and if you coordinated with her before a match (like if you were going to come down to Greenville again) I'm sure she'd be happy to bring some for you to try on in person.  I can send you her contact information if you need it, just let me know.

As we have shot together a couple of times, you know I am new to CAS but not to shooting.  While the "it's just your eyes..." comment above sounded flippant and unnecessarily rude, I would offer that somewhere beneath it is the message that the #1 priority should be eye protection.  There is way too much chance for us to get a ricochet or gun malfunction in the face to risk using anything not ANSI rated to protect our eyes (the Wiley appear ANSI rated).  Also I would recommend looking for UV protection.  Other than that it's all preference - clear, yellow, pink, smoke, frame/frameless...I have tried a bunch and they all have pros and cons. 

Thanks SB.  Any chance you coming to Black Gold in KY?

4 minutes ago, Johnny Harlan said:

Thanks SB.  Any chance you coming to Black Gold in KY?

I wish I could!  Being my first year and all, I haven’t planned ahead so well. I’ll do better next year. Shot GA state and planning SC and NC this year. GA was a great time!  

Hey Johnny

One thing that I've found that may be a concern for you is the nose piece.  You mentioned that you don't have a "big nose."  I've found that most of the wrap around style glasses have a non-adjustable nose piece, although some of them have adjustable nose pieces.  I've got a narrow bridge to my nose and it's crooked/off center.  The non adjustable styles are usually always too wide to fit my nose properly.  They won't stay up, constantly sliding down.  Also, since my nose is crooked, the lenses aren't centered on my face/with my eyes.  The adjustable nose piece styles allow you to fit them to you.

Just one more thing to think about.  See ya soon!

Titus

1 minute ago, Titus A. Gnatsass, SASS #71705 said:

Hey Johnny

One thing that I've found that may be a concern for you is the nose piece.  You mentioned that you don't have a "big nose."  I've found that most of the wrap around style glasses have a non-adjustable nose piece, although some of them have adjustable nose pieces.  I've got a narrow bridge to my nose and it's crooked/off center.  The non adjustable styles are usually always too wide to fit my nose properly.  They won't stay up, constantly sliding down.  Also, since my nose is crooked, the lenses aren't centered on my face/with my eyes.  The adjustable nose piece styles allow you to fit them to you.

Just one more thing to think about.  See ya soon!

Titus

Good point Titus!  The different styles of Wiley X I've seen all had adjustable nose pieces. In fact those were the first, and only, parts to wear out.  The rubber cover wore off.

29 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

So are the Wiley X glasses. ;)

OLG

But only the cool guys wore Oakleys...... the original bada$$ glasses, just sayin.:lol::D:lol:  

But yes Wiley X are issued and are solid set of glasses. 

4 hours ago, Smokey Bandit said:

As we have shot together a couple of times, you know I am new to CAS but not to shooting.  While the "it's just your eyes..." comment above sounded flippant and unnecessarily rude, I would offer that somewhere beneath it is the message that the #1 priority should be eye protection.  There is way too much chance for us to get a ricochet or gun malfunction in the face to risk using anything not ANSI rated to protect our eyes (the Wiley appear ANSI rated).  Also I would recommend looking for UV protection.  Other than that it's all preference - clear, yellow, pink, smoke, frame/frameless...I have tried a bunch and they all have pros and 

Have you any experience with NYX glasses?  That is what Scarlett has.

Archived