SASS Wire Forum

Matt Black breaks World Record! 11.92

Congratulations Matt (and Colt)

I have been a staunch and long time member of the Rattlesnake Wrangler ne Matt Black fan club.  I continue to be impressed by this young man in ways that are no way limited to his shooting.

Always enjoy seeing new posts and was happy to see you both at EoT.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Shifty Jack, SASS #65353 said:

Great minds think alike?

Seriously man, works of art.

Last Christmas Sly contacted me and asked if I’d do something special for his wife Jennifer. Here is an ensemble I made for her. It’s white ostrich inlay 

D1389AEB-E420-476A-8ECD-BF339EFEE8EC.jpeg

4743FB18-44CE-44E6-9AC4-6473C03FA9DA.jpeg

F47A5DAC-EB07-40FF-AB99-95F0FA5CCA0D.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

Thanks for posting this video of a master of our sport! Got to watch him at Land Run last spring on a couple of stages and was just awed at the smooth transitions and  how smoothly he handled his guns, such a pleasure to watch ! That is some great leather work on that rig Colt, true artwork!!    SCJ

Thank you sir! 

22 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Congratulations Matt (and Colt)

I have been a staunch and long time member of the Rattlesnake Wrangler ne Matt Black fan club.  I continue to be impressed by this young man in ways that are no way limited to his shooting.

Always enjoy seeing new posts and was happy to see you both at EoT.

Thank you my friend and it’s always a pleasure seeing you! 

39 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

The targets don't look really big, close or close together.   I'd be interested in knowing these details.  I'd go to the range and duplicate the stage just to compare my time. 

here ya go 

http://www.spencerhoglund.com/files/StandardWRStageSweeps6.2008.pdf

6 hours ago, Colt Faro, SASS #54579 said:

That’s for sure! I have him beat in that department lol. I just built him a new rig. He’s shot the same one for over 9 years now.  Here is his new that he hasn’t used yet. It has a crocodile inlay. 

E6F44053-3DC2-4509-9677-8F9DB9430778.jpeg

DF19567C-AEFC-46F1-B79D-A22D5F32B38A.jpeg

FEDBEA29-D1C1-4C88-9D7D-B76E6FCDF081.jpeg

Send this one to me, it may slow him down. ;)

3 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

The targets don't look really big, close or close together.   I'd be interested in knowing these details.  I'd go to the range and duplicate the stage just to compare my time. 

2 hours ago, Colt Faro, SASS #54579 said:

Thanks! 

Dang thing is he makes it look so smooth and easy. Great shooting Matt!!

1 hour ago, Johnny Meadows,SASS#28485L said:

One of the only things that outshines his shooting is his personality.

Good job Dylan

Thank you Jim! We sure do appreciate you very much all these years. 

1 minute ago, Doc Shapiro said:

When Lead Dispencer and I put that stage together, it was a little more representative of target size and distance at the time. 

Doc

And that’s the reason Dylan wanted to shoot this stage to see how he would stack up to the way things used to be. Dylan was around pretty early on and remembers as well as appreciates how the targets and scenarios used to be. He was pretty young back then so he wasn’t as competitive because of his age, experience and size at the time. He’s always had much respect for how it used to be. He never wanted to be a one trick pony and just be able to big and close. In fact he doesn’t really like shooting stages like that these days. He enjoys the challenge of further stages with more movement as well as ones you have to use your head on. He really hates a stand and deliver big and close speed stage like the one I posted above. Often on practice days  he will shoot the rifle targets with his pistols just for fun.  Lol

Way to go young man.Matt has been fun to posse with when he was smaller.He has aways been fast .Good

job young man.

34 minutes ago, Holy Smoke said:

Great shooting Matt, and outstanding leather work Colt. I appreciate all you guys do for cowboy shooting.

Thank you so much for your kind words. We always enjoy seeing you and visiting at the matches. 

Here is a pretty cool compilation video from the California State Match. 12 stages and 12 stage wins.

Perfect match. 

He shoots this entire 12 stage match in under 4 minutes. It takes longer to watch than it took him to shoot! Lol

7 hours ago, Colt Faro, SASS #54579 said:

And that’s the reason Dylan wanted to shoot this stage to see how he would stack up to the way things used to be. Dylan was around pretty early on and remembers as well as appreciates how the targets and scenarios used to be. He was pretty young back then so he wasn’t as competitive because of his age, experience and size at the time. He’s always had much respect for how it used to be. He never wanted to be a one trick pony and just be able to big and close. In fact he doesn’t really like shooting stages like that these days. He enjoys the challenge of further stages with more movement as well as ones you have to use your head on. He really hates a stand and deliver big and close speed stage like the one I posted above. Often on practice days  he will shoot the rifle targets with his pistols just for fun.  Lol

Hey Colt,

I shot a rifle target with my Pistols once......... and they gave me a 'Miss'.

:lol::D

..........Widder

44 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Hey Colt,

I shot a rifle target with my Pistols once......... and they gave me a 'Miss'.

:lol::D

..........Widder

Well you have to make sure and do it during practice not a match. Lol 

11 hours ago, Colt Faro, SASS #54579 said:

Sounds like how Bud and I used to practice.  We once practiced shooting empty 38 cases off the top of the pistol targets - at 10 yards.  My eyes ain't what they used to be!

Sounds like he'd enjoy our 5th weekend matches.  We often have props, pistol targets at the end of the bay, lots of movement, and even some up close and personal.  A great big mix of stuff.  Sometimes there will even be Steel Challenge stages.

If you're ever in the Sacramento area, make sure to let me know. 

• 4 weeks later...

Colt, thanks for sharing the videos and the rigs.  That full match video is sick, so smooth and so fast.

I did not see any videos of his 2019 EOT match, either here or on Facebook.  Is there any video of this years EOTwin?

Thanks,

Robert

Wow, that is awesome, Matt. Congratulations on EOT, too. Colt, I was as impressed with how polite and helpful Matt was years ago. Character is a quality that is in short supply today. You have done a wonderful job in raising him. BTW, your leather craft is museum quality.  

Congrats to Matt on EOT!  That is an amazing stage to beat Spencer!  Keep up the great work!  Should be a sub 10 second stage coming up!  (would not surprise me)  LOL

That young man CAN shoot!!!  Smooth as silk.  That's a record likely to stand for a while. 

Sincere Congrats to Matt on his accomplishment(s) and to you for raising him up.

---And you shouldn't need to deal with unfriendliness here.  All of us will enjoy watching the video multiple times.  Thank you v. much for sharing.  

Archived