SASS Wire Forum

Hussars, Polish winged cavalry

The description of Napoleonic cavalry poked some lighthearted fun at Hussars. A few hundred years earlier Polish Winged Hussars were frequently victorious culminating with defeating the vastly superior numbers of Muslim Turks of the Ottoman Empire at the Battle of Vienna, Sept 12, 1683.

the wings served a defensive function of thwarting slashing weapons from the rear and the use of lassoes.

Polish - Lithuanian Winged Hussars were THE heavy cavalry in Europe for nearly 300 years.

I should know, I'm a descendant of one. 

To think, we all have ancestors that lived through those times.

I'm glad society today is not nearly as barbaric.

14 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

The description of Napoleonic cavalry poked some lighthearted fun at Hussars. A few hundred years earlier Polish Winged Hussars were frequently victorious culminating with defeating the vastly superior numbers of Muslim Turks of the Ottoman Empire at the Battle of Vienna, Sept 12, 1683.

the wings served a defensive function of thwarting slashing weapons from the rear and the use of lassoes.

They saved all of Europe from the Turks. Full stop. We did a fine job repaying the Polish for their valiant deeds at the end of WW2..... we gave them to Stalin.:(

13 hours ago, Brazos John said:

I'm glad society today is not nearly as barbaric

9 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

You have a gift for irony.

I was thinking that he must not live in a big city.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I was thinking that he must not live in a big city.

I live just North of Houston. The headlines include, not just ordinary evil-doers, but imported gangs from the South and elsewhere.

Gang killings, honor killings, road rage killings, and state-sponsored killings.

Harris County sentences more folks to die in Huntsville than any other county in the US.

So yes, my comment was meant to be an observation of how technology has made the act of killing each other much more efficient.

Just point and click, so to speak.

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Son?  Grandson?  :lol:

Little further down the descendant line........

Archived