SASS Wire Forum

more on the assault on my neighbor

Trigger Mike

the victim evicted the alleged assailants family from the house they lived in at the end of my driveway.  Their 9 year old son and 4 year old daughter play with my children.  I often had them come here instead of their house due to the father.  My son tells me they have no where to go.  The victim told me he gave them 10 days to vacate the premises.  He is still in jail.  He was charged with aggravated assault, criminal trespass , and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime.  

In GA upon conviction, for aggravated assault (the charge for shooting the vicim in the leg) has a minimum of 1 year in prison (BUT) in cases where the victim is over 65, and the victim is over 70 from my understanding; the minimum is 3 years.  

My family feels sorry for the wife and children.  My 14 year old wants me to rent them a house but I don't have one open right now.  I'm not sure that I would want to.  meanwhile my children are playing with their children as often as they can these days.  

I am using this incident to teach my sons to stay away from drugs and alcohol since it changes your personality and thinking.  

The victim said that he is rethinking a lot of what he thought he knew before the shooting.  One of the things he is thinking is that it is not easy to use deadly force.  

I am trying to learn from the incident and evaluate tactics and weapons.  The victim used an AR pistol.  He hit the other guys Silverado truck 27 times, but not effectively.  That is also playing in to my evaluation of an AR pistol, that it has been used and has missed.  When I first posted about getting an AR pistol I had thought that it was in the victims car but I hear that it may not have been.  It has also stirred up past memories that I had mostly set aside.  It has also excited my sons, especially the older one.  I am noticing a good trait in my 14 year old during this time.  When my camera goes off on the driveway due to a car coming, he runs to the door.  When my neighbor reported more shots fired last night, my 14 year old went outside to hear it and asked if we should go check it out.  In other words he is not afraid to run to the sound of the guns.  I want brave sons, willing to face trouble and confront it.  Hiding in fear does not save families.  I also want smart ones so I am trying to teach him to use wisdom on when to investigate and when to watch and pay attention at home.

Trigger,

Have you ever watched any of Paul Harrell's videos?  I personally have found a lot of common sense in his discussions on various weapon choices.

19 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

Sorry. My neighbor is back to work but limps from being shot.  The guy who did it is still in jail after a couple of weeks.  

Oh, okay. At first I thought your neighbor was in jail. 

What you mentioned about using using this as a teaching tool for your kids is a good thing. The glorification of drugs and alcohol in this country is ridiculous. Your kids seeing first hand what it does to people is good experience for them to help them make better choices in life. I sure wish my old man had been more like that. 

Archived