SASS Wire Forum

Hell on Wheels!!

Phantom, SASS #54973

Great match and thanks to all the Border Vigilantes for putting on a fun match.

Fun variety of stages...

Great food

Lots of shooting!!

Fantastic shooter prizes!!!!

Nice awards and an award ceremony that didn't take half a day to complete.

Looking forward to next year!!!

Phantom

PS: Posse 8 was AWESOME!!!!!!!

Thanks for the kind words.

Thanks Phantom for running the Top Gun Shoot Off. We received lots of positive feed back and it helps to hear that when one is on the verge of burn out. Many of the shooters stepped up to help us out and I truly appreciate all the help and support from everyone. 

Assassin 

Phantom,  knowing you as little as I do, I would say that you could go anywhere and they'd have to put extra help on to detract from your fun.  That said, it's gratifying to hear that they didn't!  :P  You make it sound like a place I'd like to shoot!  Err... a MATCH I'd like to shoot!

I really have to go to that match someday. It sounds like it has a lot of variety and a little something for everyone. And the TV show is a really big reason I got into sass in the first place. 

42 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I really have to go to that match someday. It sounds like it has a lot of variety and a little something for everyone. And the TV show is a really big reason I got into sass in the first place. 

Careful what you wish for or you might run into this feller up there.

A1BE8914-0752-4A86-A2BA-2C5873B368DC.jpeg

Just now, Yul Lose said:

Careful what you wish for or you might run into this feller up there.

A1BE8914-0752-4A86-A2BA-2C5873B368DC.jpeg

Now that's a scary thought. Especially since the man recommended my favorite shooting rig and saved me $50 on it just by dropping his name. On the other hand, well he is Phantom......

1 hour ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Now that's a scary thought. Especially since the man recommended my favorite shooting rig and saved me $50 on it just by dropping his name. On the other hand, well he is Phantom......

He’s got his warts but underneath it all he’s a good pard.

I tip my hat to Assassin and Belle and the few hard working, tired, and burnt out folks that made H.O.W. as good as it was. I think Assassin has hit the mark on stage design. Targets weren't real close or too far. Movement within the stage was not too much or too little. Challenging and fun to shoot. Even though I didn't shoot that well, I certainly enjoyed my time on the plains of Wyoming! Here's to you Cheyenne Regulators!

58 minutes ago, Sandhill Ruston SASS #31383 said:

I tip my hat to Assassin and Belle and the few hard working, tired, and burnt out folks that made H.O.W. as good as it was. I think Assassin has hit the mark on stage design. Targets weren't real close or too far. Movement within the stage was not too much or too little. Challenging and fun to shoot. Even though I didn't shoot that well, I certainly enjoyed my time on the plains of Wyoming! Here's to you Cheyenne Regulators!

We're not the Cheyenne Regulators, we're the Border Vigilantes!

4 minutes ago, Assassin said:

We're not the Cheyenne Regulators, we're the Border Vigilantes! We do appreciate all the positive feed back. 

This was my first HoW.  I really hope it won't be the last.  Posse 11 rocked!  Can’t wait to come back.  If you're on the fence about the trip, this is a fun place to shoot.  You won't regret coming out.  #HoW2020

My first HOW as well, I will certainly be back! I'll try and bring a bit more of the Iowa contingent with me next time. Great stages, posse 9 was alot of fun and the weather was amazing!

Thanks Assassin and the Border Vigilantes!  

HA! I get to praise the Border Vigilantes, Assassin, and Phantom all in the same Post. I am 1 year into SASS and I have shot at 6 different clubs in 3 States and this Hell on Wheels was my very first major Match. The run-up to HOW was fantastic in terms of organization and notifications. I went up on Wednesday for RO 1 training and saw volunteers putting the finishing touches to the stages and Gun Range in a well planned approach. Thursday was practice and it pulled me right in. The fastest rifle and pistol stage was a blast. I had never been to a major match and was a bit hesitant to participate, but everyone was friendly and encouraging so into the pool I jumped.

I was in Posse #8 with Phantom as Posse Leader. He was outstanding! He set a positive tone, encouraged each of us to participate, made fun of himself to break the ice, and answered questions, and made sure we knew he wanted us to have an enjoyable and safe time. After the first 2 stages we were all working together, laughing, helping keep things moving, and drinking as much water as possible. For the next two days it was everything Cowboy Action Shooting should be and at the end we were a tightly knit posse having a real blast. It was a holiday and competition all rolled into one.

4 minutes ago, Russ The Red said:

HA! I get to praise the Border Vigilantes, Assassin, and Phantom all in the same Post. I am 1 year into SASS and I have shot at 6 different clubs in 3 States and this Hell on Wheels was my very first major Match. The run-up to HOW was fantastic in terms of organization and notifications. I went up on Wednesday for RO 1 training and saw volunteers putting the finishing touches to the stages and Gun Range in a well planned approach. Thursday was practice and it pulled me right in. The fastest rifle and pistol stage was a blast. I had never been to a major match and was a bit hesitant to participate, but everyone was friendly and encouraging so into the pool I jumped.

I was in Posse #8 with Phantom as Posse Leader. He was outstanding! He set a positive tone, encouraged each of us to participate, made fun of himself to break the ice, and answered questions, and made sure we knew he wanted us to have an enjoyable and safe time. After the first 2 stages we were all working together, laughing, helping keep things moving, and drinking as much water as possible. For the next two days it was everything Cowboy Action Shooting should be and at the end we were a tightly knit posse having a real blast. It was a holiday and competition all rolled into one.

What was he making fun of? You know, just in case I need ammunition for next time.

Congrats to Assassin and his crew for a great match. I experimented with a bit of black but my lovely Kathouse Kell cleaned up once again, two years in a row for overall lady.

We both had a great time, and now headed back to Oz unfortunately, but will will be back some time again.

That was a real good turnout!!

4 minutes ago, Jackaroo, # 29989 said:

Congrats to Assassin and his crew for a great match. I experimented with a bit of black but my lovely Kathouse Kell cleaned up once again, two years in a row for overall lady.

We both had a great time, and now headed back to Oz unfortunately, but will will be back some time again.

Great to see you two...wish you'd be able to stay here in the States more...

Phantom

27 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Great to see you two...wish you'd be able to stay here in the States more...

Phantom

Phantom, I was pleased to see how well our posse was represented in the top shooters. As I said in another Post, you ran a good Posse and Samual Dunbin Hadley (#2 Overall) was a big help. Just one miss away from being the number one shooter. I look forward to shooting with you again and I appreciate what I am learning.

9 minutes ago, Assassin said:

So, the 8 inch square targets weren't too bad. 

They were fine!

What were they set at??? 3 or so yards???

But the big dump plate on that stage was missed a lot.

Go figure :lol:

They were set out at 3.5 yards, half the distance recommended for a 16 inch plate. There were more misses on the 24 inch square set at 7 yards and that particular stage was fun to watch. It was even more fun watching shooters walking around before the match thinking they would have to shoot those 8 inch plates at 7 yards.

Just wait until next year.

7 minutes ago, Assassin said:

They were set out at 3.5 yards, half the distance recommended for a 16 inch plate. There were more misses on the 24 inch square set at 7 yards and that particular stage was fun to watch. It was even more fun watching shooters walking around before the match thinking they would have to shoot those 8 inch plates at 7 yards.

Just wait until next year.

Oh lord help us...

:lol:

Had a great time at the shoot. shooting, food, fun, and a great range to shoot at.

Assassin  and his wife work so very hard

The result is a great shoot, with people who are friendly and go out of there way to be helpful adds up to a wonderful experience,

Looking forward to next year

Great to see our Aussie pard 'Charlie Wagon 2nd o'all & 1st in 49er...doesn't make up for his SDQ at EOT but would ease the pain a little..maybe not  I will have to ask when he gets back !

My deepest apology for the brain fart...

I tip my hat to Assassin and Belle and the few hard working, tired, and burnt out folks that made H.O.W. as good as it was. I think Assassin has hit the mark on stage design. Targets weren't real close or too far. Movement within the stage was not too much or too little. Challenging and fun to shoot. Even though I didn't shoot that well, I certainly enjoyed my time on the plains of Wyoming! Here's to you Border Vigilantes!

14 hours ago, Sandhill Ruston SASS #31383 said:

My deepest apology for the brain fart...

I tip my hat to Assassin and Belle and the few hard working, tired, and burnt out folks that made H.O.W. as good as it was. I think Assassin has hit the mark on stage design. Targets weren't real close or too far. Movement within the stage was not too much or too little. Challenging and fun to shoot. Even though I didn't shoot that well, I certainly enjoyed my time on the plains of Wyoming! Here's to you Border Vigilantes!

A little less movement distance would be nice, especially for us old farts. It's easy for Assassin at 6' 2" he only needs 4 steps whereas we all need 10 plus.LOL.:D

8 hours ago, Jackaroo, # 29989 said:

A little less movement distance would be nice, especially for us old farts. It's easy for Assassin at 6' 2" he only needs 4 steps whereas we all need 10 plus.LOL.:D

When I picture Aussies they’re all the Crocodile Dundee types and now yer telling me they ain’t!!!:P.

9 hours ago, Jackaroo, # 29989 said:

Kelli appeared to navigate the stages quite easily. Perhaps, you need to duplicate her exercise regime. :D

I did think about reducing the amount of movement, it was a short thought. 

Shooters know what to expect when they attend HOW, it isn't for everyone. 

Considering I made it through the event without having Belle kill me made it successful.

Belle worked very hard to keep things organized, I just write scenarios and carry heavy things. 

Now we have to deal with Cowboy Iron Man this weekend, and we'll be done. 

Once again, thanks everyone for the kind words about HOW. It's a lot of work and worth it when we get good reviews. 

Assassin

3 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Kelli appeared to navigate the stages quite easily. Perhaps, you need to duplicate her exercise regime. :D

I did think about reducing the amount of movement, it was a short thought. 

Shooters know what to expect when they attend HOW, it isn't for everyone. 

Considering I made it through the event without having Belle kill me made it successful.

Belle worked very hard to keep things organized, I just write scenarios and carry heavy things. 

Now we have to deal with Cowboy Iron Man this weekend, and we'll be done. 

Once again, thanks everyone for the kind words about HOW. It's a lot of work and worth it when we get good reviews. 

Assassin

Assassin, sorry we missed this one, but just could not get away. Sounds like it was the best one yet! Missed seeing you and Belle....hopefully next year....

JC

Archived