SASS Wire Forum

AR pistol in 22 long rifle thoughts

Trigger Mike

In my research for determining if i should get an AR pistol or not I stumbled on an AR pistol in 22.  It was a brand I never heard of so probably won't get that one but it brought some other questions to mind.

1.  How effective would an AR pistol in 22 long rifle be?

2.  if kept in the car and used there I know it would not be effective but if dismounted and properly aiming due to volume of fire from a 30 round magazine, it seems that it might be better than nothing ?

3.  I'm thinking it would possibly be safer from the standpoint that any round that missed would likely not cause great harm further downrange.  Is that correct?

4.  I sometimes carry a baby Browning 1911-22 since it is pocket size, and ease to keep hidden, to hold me over until a bigger pistol can be obtained, or the AR pistol in 22.  the AR pistol in 22 is so much smaller than the normal AR pistol that it is small enough to maneuver in a car.

2 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

In my research for determining if i should get an AR pistol or not I stumbled on an AR pistol in 22.  It was a brand I never heard of so probably won't get that one but it brought some other questions to mind.

1.  How effective would an AR pistol in 22 long rifle be?

2.  if kept in the car and used there I know it would not be effective but if dismounted and properly aiming due to volume of fire from a 30 round magazine, it seems that it might be better than nothing ?

3.  I'm thinking it would possibly be safer from the standpoint that any round that missed would likely not cause great harm further downrange.  Is that correct?

4.  I sometimes carry a baby Browning 1911-22 since it is pocket size, and ease to keep hidden, to hold me over until a bigger pistol can be obtained, or the AR pistol in 22.  the AR pistol in 22 is so much smaller than the normal AR pistol that it is small enough to maneuver in a car.

Hard to say, never shot one. Most of that crap is a gimmick, probably better off the get a Ruger. One of my nephews once traded off a decent Ruger 9mm for this POS dreaded Tec 9. I shot it a time or twa. You'd do well to hit a refrigerator past 15 feet with it. I'd rather have one or my cap and balls or single shot silhouette pistols in a real gunfight. A .22 would not be my weapon of choice, but a a .22 at your side beats a 45 back home in the safe.

JHC

My son wanted to build an AR pistol, and I tried talking him out of it, telling him they were obnoxiously loud and not as accurate as a rifle. He opted with a 22 conversion kit and now that's one the funnest to shoot on the property.

I wouldn't count on any .22 cal AR as my go-to gun.  For the same footprint you can get the same AR in 5.56 with the same round capacity.  As far as downrange safety of missed shots, don't pull the trigger unless you know where the round is going.  Never unleash any round thinking that it will cause little damage.

Howdy,

Check out the factory cut down 10/22 thing.

Or a mares leg 357.

or a real contender, ruger 9mm revolver with 

quick change moon clips.LCR I believe they are.

But for accurate .22 its hard to beat a Ruger Mk II gummint.

Best

CR

Archived