SASS Wire Forum

APP; ffg or fffg?

John E.B. Rawton

I have a great deal of .38s (125 and 140 gr. rnfp) and .45s (200 gr. rnfp). 

I am thinking that the best way to use them up is to load APP instead of relubing for bp. 

Do you like 2f or 3f for these cartridges?

When I load APP, I use 3Fg for everything up to & including 45-70 & 12 gauge shot shells.
While I prefer real black powder, sometimes APP comes in handy.

-Dawg

I have found that I like bp myself and use it in my cap guns and shot shells. Once I use all the hard lube bullets up, loading mainly for my lady, I’ll start getting some big lube or cast. 

Get the 3F. It can be metered through a powder measure and like Dawg stated it works in everything including 45-70 and shotshells.

I am using up the 2F APP I bought in shotshells. Will not buy 2F ever again because it meters like aquarium gravel.

I just recently started to load .45 Colt for when I want to shoot BP (although I'm using my ROAs for the pistols just because) and I just worked out that for me, it's better to load 777 FFg by hand (which took me nearly an hour last Friday to load 10 rounds for testing yesterday) than to try and use the powder drop that I've set aside for my 9000s for making blackpowder shells and try and work out a way to switch between the two settings...

I do use real bp both in my cap guns and the cartridges that I’ve hand loaded. I have thousands of hard lubed bullets that need used up. I had melted off the lube and relubed but the .45s did not carry enough to get down the bore. 

I’m looking to cut out steps, until I use up all the bullets I have, and with me shooting primarily JWS with cap guns,, it will take us some time to clean up the stock. 

Not really interested in using fillers and wads in the cartridges. 

My goal ... K.I.S.S.

My first experience with APP was with 3F.  When I ran out all I could find locally was 2F so I bought a pound to get me by until I could find a new source.  I was concerned that it would not meter well but I went through that pound with no issues.

I recently bought several pounds of Black MZ since Sportsmans Warehouse has a good price on it.  I understand it is all 2F.  I’m not as wary of the courser granulation now but I might use it for shotgun and reserve the APP 3F for pistol ammo.

I should have noted that the 10 rounds I loaded were with Badman Bullets coated RNFP.  The rifle was hardly fowled at all when I went to clean it, and all 10 rounds fired fine.  I still need to do a full 60 round test, but I'll need to make up the rounds first which means cleaning up some brass.  (All me .45 Colt brass is currently loaded with 700X smokeless, and I all I have is spent casings from the last couple of events where I was using my one Ruger OMV in .45 colt...

Da De Da De Da Da Da.  First a DISCLAIMER:  I'm Lazy.  Second DISCLAIMER:  I don't like messing with "Lube."  I shoot GOBS of APP.  Very little BP. APP is wonderful stuff.  Really easy to clean up after.  Shoot bullets with any kind of lube you want ..... Or NO lube if you want.  APP makes it's own lube.  APP residue is not cumulative.  Each round thru the barrel cleans out the residue from the previous round.  I load my ALL BRASS 12 Ga with 2f APP.  I load my Cap Guns and Cartridge guns with 3f.  2f will meter thru a Dillon measure but you get a lot of bridging and need a powder alarm on your press.  for that reason I don't load 2F on my Dillon anymore.  3f meters just fine.  Once in a while it will bridge.  Not very often.  I load 3f in all the cartridges I load for including 38Spl.  I don't load "full" cases.  I load to an amount I like and top with Breakfast Food (Cream-0-Wheat). For a given charge, 2f will give you slightly less recoil and slightly more smoke.  3f is a little more potent.  Shooting smokeless lubed bullets is absolutely NO Problem.

Archived