SASS Wire Forum

My take on EOT and SASS

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, BootStrap Phil said:

not to many as it goes.

IDK.  I watched AMA legislate all the fun out of racing toy airplanes & I'd hate to see that happen to us.  We did ok when the deciding factor was "What would Roy/Hoppy/Mr Dillon do?"

7 minutes ago, MizPete said:

We did ok when the deciding factor was "What would Roy/Hoppy/Mr Dillon do?"

Well was not around back then, but seems it was LARP’ing (Live Action Role Playing) with a bang and not so much a sport, but again did not shoot back then and you are obviously passionate about no rules or at least ah a lot less of them.

No worries though we all have thoughts on the matter, just fun banter as ultimately not up to us. Unless I start a Cowboy 3 gun nation, wait is that out there? :lol: http://www.shootingusa.com/TV_SCHEDULE/SHOW_28-12/show_28-12.html  

Congratulations to Long Hunter for his post to start this discussion. A healthy discussion of our sport is excellent and essential to its successful future. It’s healthy to look at an organization's history, purpose, and future because self-assessment can lead to Continued Improvement. There are opportunities for Continuous Improvement in the game, and so SASS should hear from a balance of participants in age, experience, skill set, geographic location, and interest.

I would gladly volunteer to participate in regular online sessions or teleconference meetings to find ways for Continuous Improvement. For example, target variations, making DIY videos about stage setups, scoring variations, or organizational changes to improve membership, etc. We are a group of people who come to this sport with a wide range of life and work experiences – certainly we can find ways to enhance stages/matches.

The recent Hell on Wheels was an example of what makes this sport fun - the Border Vigilantes put in a tremendous effort, the Match Manger (Assassin) and Range Manger (Hawkeye Sam) where helping in all areas, the setups were balanced, and safety was paramount. It was the posses and the shooters that added the special delights. People were friendly, involved, helpful, and spirited. My Posse Leader - Phantom really set the stage (pun intended) and we all pitched in.

22 minutes ago, BootStrap Phil said:

no rules or at least ah a lot less of them

Not what I'm saying.  I tend to prefer common sense and The Cowboy Way over a manifesto.  Case in point (and I shouldn't even tell you this story):  I was scoring a match; we'd already had one shooter with a long barrel just about fall off a prop trying to move to the next shooting position.  Then we had an older shooter in the same situation literally fall on his face with a long gun in his hand.  We picked him up, dealt with the blood on his face.  The TO looked at me & I at him.  Did we MDQ him?  No.  Against the rules, but it was the right thing to do.

27 minutes ago, MizPete said:

Not what I'm saying.  I tend to prefer common sense and The Cowboy Way over a manifesto.  Case in point (and I shouldn't even tell you this story):  I was scoring a match; we'd already had one shooter with a long barrel just about fall off a prop trying to move to the next shooting position.  Then we had an older shooter in the same situation literally fall on his face with a long gun in his hand.  We picked him up, dealt with the blood on his face.  The TO looked at me & I at him.  Did we MDQ him?  No.  Against the rules, but it was the right thing to do.

Common sense and "The Cowboy Way", even in our game, are not dependable nor consistent.

15 hours ago, Tequila Chase said:

And this is why I don't post on this forum.  Thanks for the sarcasm. 

I apologize to you if you took offense for my post. I'm a smart ass with a wry sense of humor. It wasn't a ill wishing post and I'm sorry if you took it the wrong way. The small caliber vs large caliber has been discussed here ad nauseam. It still is not an excuse for rude behavior....once again, I apologize.

Sun

9 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Tequila,

There are times WE ALL become a target on this Wire.   When ya start reading and posting

your .02,  ya just gotta remember that we are all sitting at the lunch table trying to

carry on a good discussion while eating a burger and washing it down with your favorite

beverage.

If somebody, like that CoonAss Krazy Kajun, gets on the Wire and says.... "Widder, your crazy",

it would be no different than me and Krazy sitting at the lunch table and he says I'm crazy.

Hang with us.  Whether folks agree or not with your comments, you are entitled to post them

as much as anyone.

Have a great day.

..........Widder

Widder, as usual you are correct. I meant no disrespect to Tequila. When it comes to the Wire, I feel like I'm talking with friends at the match. I will have to remember that sometimes the words you write do not come out the way everyone reads it. Anyway, I was a smart ass.....it's in my nature. No excuse however for being rude. For that, I apologize.

Sun 

1 hour ago, MizPete said:

Why would falling warrant a MDQ?  You said he had gun in hand, unless he dropped it, or broke the 170 he should be ok in terms of rules.

4 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

So many people have no idea what actually happened with the "hot coffee". There is a documentary by the same name that is worth watching so that you can get the true story, but the gist is that it wasn't just that the coffee was hot, but rather very hot and a very flimsy cup. The woman didn't get a little burn. She had 3rd degree burns and literally melted genitalia.

In college, 45 years ago, two of my good friends DIED as a result of hot coffee burns at a restaurant, when a glass coffee flask broke above them.  Third degree burns over 60+%, infection, and death occurred in about a week, but no pain - - nerve endings were dead. 

No lawsuits were filed.  They had no dependents, and In those days, people understood the world not to be perfect, and there didn't always have to be somebody to blame for everything that went wrong. 

Sadly, that isn't the case today.  

44 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I apologize to you if you took offense for my post. I'm a smart ass with a wry sense of humor. It wasn't a ill wishing post and I'm sorry if you took it the wrong way. The small caliber vs large caliber has been discussed here ad nauseam. It still is not an excuse for rude behavior....once again, I apologize.

Sun

@Cypress Sun  Sun - I appreciate the apology, that is the problem with talking by typing, you don't get to see body language or hear someone's voice.  It wasn't my intention to kill a dead horse, this is my first year of this game and I'm trying to catch up on some of the conversations.  This is a fun game, a different kind of shooting than I was trained in so my hope is to bring a different perspective, although I guess not always a new perspective.  I truly hope we get to meet one day so that I can shake your hand and do some shooting.

On 6/30/2019 at 8:51 AM, Arcadia Outlaw SASS#71385 said:

I’ve met Longhunter a couple of times super nice guy and one heck of a shooter, etc.

Here is my take I’m out of Florida, every once in awhile we incorporate the world record stage, the fast guys liked it somewhat but the majority of the shooters hated it, so that’s what I think about when sitting up a match, people spend a lot of money to make their rifles fast and they want to be able to make them sing. So I think Phantom’s position holds a lot of water on this thread and the one about EOT stages.

Gun mods I’m no lawyer but the transfer bar removal is for dependability not to make the gun faster. Colt Faro said Matt Black’s Ruger’s still have transfer bars in place, Deuce Stevens has said he does care for the short stroke for me personally the splits are about the same, between SS & not for Rugers. The 73 has a lever safety the 66 did not come with one.

I don’t like a manipulation match but you can have a happy medium and keep the majority who basically pay for the matches to keep them going.

AO

That is correct Matt Blacks Ruger Vaqueros have transfer bars. They are not short stroked and I just changed the main spring, trigger spring, sure hit sights and gunfighter grips and that’s it. He also pulls the trigger on every shot no slip hammering. His rifle is a 20” border deluxe Taylor’s with a 4th gen kit. We don’t take our guns to the edge. He loved the match at EOT this year. He said the stages were awesome and nothing was out of line at all. In fact his total time was only .44 of a second longer than last year when it was set up big and close. He did have a few more bobbles last year though. 

5 hours ago, Colt Faro, SASS #54579 said:

That is correct Matt Blacks Ruger Vaqueros have transfer bars. They are not short stroked and I just changed the main spring, trigger spring, sure hit sights and gunfighter grips and that’s it. He also pulls the trigger on every shot no slip hammering. His rifle is a 20” border deluxe Taylor’s with a 4th gen kit. We don’t take our guns to the edge. He loved the match at EOT this year. He said the stages were awesome and nothing was out of line at all. In fact his total time was only .44 of a second longer than last year when it was set up big and close. He did have a few more bobbles last year though. 

Colt..Any chance of a slow-mo video of Matt shooting the pistols ?..thanks

2 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

I’ve never taken any slow motion vids of him shooting his pistols that show technique. I will try to remember to do it next time we shoot. 

2 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

YouTube has a playback speed feature that will let you set speeds from .25x to 2x.  But you're probably wanting to see just a close up of his hand movements.  

8 hours ago, Colt Faro, SASS #54579 said:

He also pulls the trigger on every shot no slip hammering. 

He is so darned fast that without you telling us, it would be impossible to know.  Unbelievable young shooter!!!  Most of us mortals would go to matches just to watch him in action.  

58 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

He is so darned fast that without you telling us, it would be impossible to know.  Unbelievable young shooter!!!  Most of us mortals would go to matches just to watch him in action.  

If you ever get the chance to posse up with him, do so. 

32 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

YouTube has a playback speed feature that will let you set speeds from .25x to 2x.  But you're probably wanting to see just a close up of his hand movements.  

Yeah it would be better to get a close up of his hands. My iPhone has a slo mo setting and I can probably get a good video of it. 

One of the places that he makes up time is in his transitions. For example last week we looked at his splits from the last shot on 1st pistol to the first shot on his 2nd and it was consistently between .69 to .76 

11 minutes ago, Colt Faro, SASS #54579 said:

One of the places that he makes up time is in his transitions. For example last week we looked at his splits from the last shot on 1st pistol to the first shot on his 2nd and it was consistently between .69 to .76 

we need a wow button

20 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Why would falling warrant a MDQ?  You said he had gun in hand,

He did not break the 170 but when we picked him up the gun was on the floor.  It got scooped up pretty quick.

21 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Common sense and "The Cowboy Way", even in our game, are not dependable nor consistent.

I do understand that.  I just try to go to places where they are.  And, don't get me wrong; I believe we all need to play by the same rules, and it ruffles my feathers to see people trying to take advantage.  But, as I said before, I have seen other sports ruined by nit-picking legislation & don't want it to happen to us.

7 minutes ago, MizPete said:

He did not break the 170 but when we picked him up the gun was on the floor.  It got scooped up pretty quick.

Thanks.  I understand now.  When you said gun in hand I thought you meant he retained control in which case no penalty (assuming he didn't break the 170). 

Archived