SASS Wire Forum

AR 15 pistol idea revisited

Trigger Mike

since my neighbor used his AR15 pistol to defend himself after he was shot it got me to looking at getting one.  I found a Ruger for 750 but that store did not have any sights for it.  I went to another one and they had the Springfield version and the Ruger version as well as a local brand.  The Springfield Saint had a fully extended arm rest while the ruger could be adjusted.  the local brand had a thick area for the buffer spring the extended the same length.  with way they were all the same length .  5 .5 inches shorter than a full size one.  A mossberg shockwave in 410 is a hair shorter.  I already have that for riding the ATV.  I decided not to get one.  they are still hard to maneuver inside a vehicle.  harder still to conceal while not in the vehicle and yet keep handy.  the place that had sights had the see through optic with a red crosshair and did not have a laser which meant you would have to mount it on your shoulder to use properly.  while aiming is the only way to shoot, there have been times where the ATF has said that you can not mount it on your shoulder and that day is likely to come again.  All it takes is for the country to do what she always does switch back and forth between the two parties.  While my neighbor did fire his at his assailant and hit his vehicle multiple times, I figure a pistol is better or a full size rifle or the shockwave in 410 if I think I really need something in my car.  the only AR pistol significantly smaller was a 22 long rifle caliber version from a company out of california that I never heard of.  it was indeed handy but 22 Long Rifle is not ideal for defense even with 30 rounds if you have to engage vehicle occupants  I may see if S & W makes a AR pistol in 22 long rifle just for fun .  

35 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

I also like run on sentences sometimes since I can't figure out when to put a period and my thoughts flow as I type so I keep right on typing and throw a period way down the line. :)

Some people are just rude don’t worry about it

My AR pistol is a step from my bed. It has a Vortex Strikefire red dot and witnessed iron sights. I assembled it myself and have less that $400 in the pistol and $125 in the red dot. 3 30 round mags complete the package.

Mike, What Lawman Mark says is the way to go. Build it yourself. I am just finishing an AR that I have been building for a year. I decided to buy all quality parts “on sale” and I was in no rush so that is what I did. Of course, because of 2 slight errors I made the price went over my self imposed  $600 limit for my project.

The first error was buying a lightened bolt carrier group which meant buying an adjustable gas block which wasn’t that cheap.

The second error was moving to California. I had to decide on featureless or conglomeration so I went featureless but had to but a proper stock so my self imposed budget went out the window. 

Get yourself a “pistol” lower receiver. If you are building a pistol you need to designate the lower a “pistol receiver” when you purchase it in some states. BUT, BUT, BUT...this is very important! Per the ATF, if you buy a receiver and make it into a rifle you cannot legally take the lower receiver and make it into a pistol. You can make a pistol receiver into a rifle but not vice versa!

Here are a couple of links to explain what you can or shouldn’t do:

https://www.itstactical.com/warcom/firearms/considering-building-ar-pistol-heres-411/

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/7/14/building-ar-15-pistols-at-home/

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/keeping-your-ar-15-pistol-build-within-legal-limits/

Now, how get the goods to make your toy.

There are many online stores for buying quality parts to make an AR pistol or rifle.

Myself, I prefer Primary Arms out of Texas. Wonderful customer service and smokin’ hot deals. Visit their sight, create an account (register your email) and every week you will get sales emails and the other thing I like is you can search their webpage for sales of specific types of parts by filtering “sales” in your searches.

Here is a link to their site:

https://www.primaryarms.com/

There are other sites that also sell AR and other parts but they are my favorite. Of course there is Midway USA and Brownells.

Here are a some to check out:

https://ar15depot.com/

https://ar15discounts.com/

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/ar-15/parts.html

There are definitely others, including eBay and Amazon, believe it or not.

But, anytime I need something and look on other sites Primary Arms usually has it and has it for less. I have bought dozens of items from them and only had one problem regarding shipping. Turns out the post office delivered my package to the wrong place but before we knew that Primary Arms overnighted a replacement for me to make sure I had what I needed. Once the USPS fixed their mistake and properly delivered my package Primary Arms told me not to worry about shipping it back and to keep the items. Really nice people to deal with.

Anyway, think about building your own. 

Oh, one more thing, go look for websites on building a pistol and read a few of them. Steer clear of giggly-boy forums until you get an idea on what you want. Some of the “tacti-cool” forums will get you all spun up and confused.

One thing I would do though, go find someone that owns an AR pistol and get them to let you shoot it. I highly recommend this. You need to know if you really want one before committing to building one.

KAK industry for decent budget barrels: https://www.kakindustry.com/

Primary Arms, Red Barn Armory, Palmetto State Armory are all good places to get parts. ALG Defense has some good budget triggers and maybe the best budget handguard. 

CMC triggers are some of the best drop in trigger groups if you want to spend a little extra: https://www.cmctriggers.com/

Some people turn there nose up at Anderson Manufacturing but I've never had any issue with their upper or lower recievers. These can be found for less than $50 + transfer fee.

My next build will be another 9mm for PCC and then I'm thinking a AR15 pistol in 9mm for the truck.

Primary Arms has a great red dot sight as well if go that route.

55 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Some people turn there nose up at Anderson Manufacturing but I've never had any issue with their upper or lower recievers. These can be found for less than $50 + transfer fee.

My last lower and upper were Anderson. They fit really tightly with no gaps. 

14 hours ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

Paragraphs.  An incredible part of writing.

40 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

As a TG I'm going to ask ROC if we can formally recognize "Paragraph Police", sheeesh.

Simple solution. 

Don’t read it. 

Absolutely. There was a guy here several years ago. He wrote in one sentence, with no capitalization, no punctuation of any sort, and with about half of the words deliberately misspelled

When questioned as to why he posted like that, he replied that "that's how real cowboys did it", since real cowboys were all illiterate (that ain't so - my parents were married. To each other!)

So when I got the one of his posts, I just skipped it and went on to the next guy. It was just too hard trying to figure out what he was attempting to say.

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

Absolutely. There was a guy here several years ago. He wrote in one sentence, with no capitalization, no punctuation of any sort, and with about half of the words deliberately misspelled

When questioned as to why he posted like that, he replied that "that's how real cowboys did it", since real cowboys were all illiterate (that ain't so - my parents were married. To each other!)

So when I got the one of his posts, I just skipped it and went on to the next guy. It was just too hard trying to figure out what he was attempting to say.

Yup. He was really hard to understand.

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

I'll work on improving my writing.  I do better when not using my phone to post. On a computer I can tell better a paragraph is needed. 

On the phone I forget to hit the return button.  

Phones are really bad to compose anything on. Fortunately I get no service unless I’m in town so I do things on the desktop or tablet. Really hard for me to see little things on the phone. Maybe if I had 20 year old eyes again...

I prefer my Ruger Charger with a green dot sight for anything within 75 yards and under 150 pounds.  A mag full of CCI Stingers can make a serious statement.  Farther or bigger deserves a full-size AR or levergun with stout loads.

36 minutes ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Henry don’t get me started. I’ve read thousands of police reports over they years and cops love run on sentences. 

Yeah. And being a stickler for grammar, structure and spelling it drove me nuts!!

42 minutes ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Henry don’t get me started. I’ve read thousands of police reports over they years and cops love run on sentences. 

Which has nothing to do with being rude enough to criticize someone on a public forum. My parents taught me better.

I took it in the helpful manner it was likely meant to be received.  no harm here.  I thought it was funny and told my wife about it.  I will try to post from the computer more instead from now on.

I hope Muleshoe Bill knows I appreciate his efforts to help me realize my post was hard to read due to its format.  Sometimes I get something on my mind and I start typing as fast as it will come and forget about structure.  

9 hours ago, Alpo said:

6 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Yup. He was really hard to understand.

I remember that guy too. He finally made a post that A School would have loved. He said he did it just to prove that he wasn't as illiterate as he appeared to be. I don't remember hearing from again.

As for the AR pistol, I just don't see it. It's too big to carry in any practical manner, and you can't shoot it like a rifle. 

If I wanted a 556 in a small package, I'd look for a folding stock rifle, like a Ruger Mini 14, a Kel Tec folding rifle, or even an AK 47 folder.

Heck, you can get several different folding stocks for a 10-22, if you want to go that way.  

the more i think on it i still am having a hard time justifying an AR pistol .  one reason is while the ATF CURRENTLY allows you to put it on your shoulder , they could change that at any time.  a pistol aimed from the hip is not likely to hit at ranges further out.  if I had the money I think a suppressed short barreled rifle would be better.

I have an ar pistol I like it, only bought it for the house or behind the back seat of the truck when I go out into the dessert 

Don’t get me wrong, I like sights when shooting targets.  But in a defensive situation I think they are overrated. Seven yards or less, a second to react, maybe less, the sights don’t enter the picture, it’s a matter of putting lead on center of mass, line up the gun, shoot. I don’t get much farther than lining up the barrel.  For a head shot, yeah I’d pause to use the sights. Those movie bozos who turn their guns sideways, bozos is too polite but this is a family forum, they aren’t gonna miss anyway unless it’s in the script.

if I’m talking long guns it’s not defensive.

21 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

the more i think on it i still am having a hard time justifying an AR pistol .  one reason is while the ATF CURRENTLY allows you to put it on your shoulder , they could change that at any time.  a pistol aimed from the hip is not likely to hit at ranges further out.  if I had the money I think a suppressed short barreled rifle would be better.

You can actually fiore the AR pistol more effectively from shoulder level, not actually using the shoulder. Think of it as justr a really big pistol. Shooting from the hip is about the most inaccurate way to do it.

Not that I'm in favor of the AR pistol.

The only way I have found that I can shoot an AR pistol (firing friend’s gun) was gripping the pistol grip with my right hand and gripping the front of the mag well with my left. The one I shot didn’t have a brace of any kind. 

I tried hip shooting and darn near got a nose bleed from the concussion caused by the flash hider. 

30 round mags made it awkward. I’ll bet a 20 rounder or even a 10 rounder would have been better for handling.

Marshall you are right about the sights.  back in infantry school they taped our sights and had us walk and fire without aiming.  I recall not using sights other times as well.  

The more I study it and think about it, an AR pistol is not the answer I need.  I will deal with it with what I have. I 45 auto served me well as an officer.  

Meanwhile his wife told me that he has a bond hearing tomorrow.  She said that she is all that he has and added that whether he gets out of jail or stays in jail, she loses either way.  She has been married to him for 11 years.  been with him for 21 years.  met him when she was 13.  from her words and from knowing he put a gun to her head a couple of months ago I perceive she is a battered woman who won't leave her man.  she has to find a new home by Friday but rentals are few and far between here lately.  I am even full up and even if I wasn't Ii don't want to rent to him, her maybe and her children but not him.  they have 4 dogs too and I require $300 deposit per pet as I have been burned before.

Some have already said that he is going to be livid when he sees the 27 bullet holes in his truck.  

Archived