SASS Wire Forum

Cavalry Attire

Jarred Cope

It's really hard not to respond with... "the Quartermaster's tent!"  So let's pretend I didn't! :P

The places Rafe mentioned are excellent. I'll add this one if you're on a tighter budget. Their value line stuff is decent but even they'll tell you that some buttons will need to be secured better. For the price difference i'm happy to throw on a few stitches myself. They also have better quality stuff but it reflects in the price.  

https://www.ccsutlery.com/store/ccsutlery.html 

I would not advise using Milk Creek. Had a very bad experience with them. C&C Sutlery and Regimental Quartermasters is a good place to go. When I wear blue, I go Indian Wars garb or John Ford westerns. Major B. S. O'Rourke

8 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

How about 1870-1885?

That is too big of a gap...The blue flannel overshirt didn't start replacing the service coat until around 1881. The 1883 service/campaign shirt was a new design and would have been commonly worn in the Span/Am war.

So you are dealing with a couple different military standards in that gap.

4 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

That is too big of a gap...The blue flannel overshirt didn't start replacing the service coat until around 1881. The 1883 service/campaign shirt was a new design and would have been commonly worn in the Span/Am war.

So you are dealing with a couple different military standards in that gap.

Ok, let's shrink the gap to 1871-1878

6 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Ok, let's shrink the gap to 1871-1878

So the 1874 shirt was in Gray flannel. 1875 introduced the blue flannel option shirt, but the same basic pattern as the 1874 shirt. 1877 gray flanel pattern shirt basically cut off the collar of the previous design.

Archived