SASS Wire Forum

To fix or not

Make do

I have a old Navy Arms 1858 stainless -the base pin has been difficult to remove and for some reason I looked at it last night (I have shot it many years) and noticed that the base pin is slightly off the hole in the rear of the frame requiring a good knock to get it in, My question is can it be fixed or is it even worth it? Other than not be able to easily remove the pin it seems to shoot fine- thanks

Italian "1858" repros can really be a pain to set up, and correct manufacturing defects.  Since you can't move the hole, the only thing you can do is chamfer the end of the cylinder pin a bit, to make it a little easier to remove.  Yep, just "Make Do".

It would be interesting to know how the hole alignment has gotten off?  It would indicate that the frame has racked somehow.   

Any chance the base pin is bent?  

A good way to fix it would be to use a reamer to get the holes to align again.  

I would polish the base pin with scotch brite(green).

Then use some copper anti-seize on the pin.

Worth a try.......

If that don't work-I would measure the dia of the pin with a micrometer, and buy a reamer about .001-.0015 bigger than the pin and pull it through with the cyl in place.

OLG

Good idea to check the pin - I will do that - checked it with another base pin same result - off about 1/16 of an inch

Archived