SASS Wire Forum

Brass shot shells

Don Jorge

What is a reasonable shelf life of reloaded brass ((black powder) shells that have been sealed with water glass?

ymmv based on the conditions they were stored in. if there's no corrosion on the primer or hull i'd say they're still good to go.  if they were stored in a controlled climate like in the house i'd say they're probably good for decades. If stored in a shed, basement, or garage that isnt climate controlled probably much less. If there's concern pop them apart, reuse what's good like the shot and brass, to load new.  I'm no expert on the subject but i've shot ammo that my grandpa had loaded before he passed with no issues probably 15 years after he passed and not telling when they were loaded before that. Those were all stored in his gun room (spare bedroom) 

"how much waterglass" ?  Might make a difference.  I just know when I used to use waterglass, the seal would dry out after a some months.  I would re-apply if I hadn't shot them for a number of months.  I discovered this once when the recoil from the first shot loosened the overshot card in the second barrel and shot started rolling out the barrel.  But I was not using much.  

I'm just thinking that if the seal dried out, it might be more likely to let in moisture depending on where they are stored.  But I'm thinking that could take years.

As the others have already stated, it depends on how it was stored and the climate.

I was given 5 or 6 12 gauge brass shells from a friend who left cowboy shooting.  By appearances they had been loaded quire some time ago and it took 2 hits on each before the primer would fire.  So I would suggest  using questionable hulls for either practice or a local match and save the newer loads for important matches.

I use Elmer's wood glue to seal my shotgun shells, it doesn't seem to "shrink" like Elmer's white glue or waterglass according to what others have posted.

I don't use waterglass, I put a 10 gauge over powder card on top and press it in never an issue coming lose, plus my shotgun shells don't last long enough to worry about if they are good or not

Archived