SASS Wire Forum

What’s your favorite holster rig

Turkeyhen

I’m brand new to the sport. I’m wondering what you favorite holster/belt manufacturer is. I’ve been looking at Mernickle rigs. 

Thanks in advance.

Turkeyhen Earl

23 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

And I've said it before, I'll say it again.

If you want a good rig for the game of CAS, go with a leather maker that understands our game.

Phantom

I've heard you mention this before, Phantom.  Can you give a good explanation of the differences between a "western" rig and a good SASS rig?

Thanks, Sir.

Basically a good CAS rig, holster wise, is designed for good retention while allowing for easy pulling from and re-holstering. 

Then there's the getting angles correct and legal...

General "western" holsters look nice and retain well.. that's about it.

Both can be durable and long lasting... Though I heard recently that one well known maker likes the fact that their rigs start wearing out after a few hard seasons. They figure they'll sell more rigs that way.

And NOOOOO, I ain't naming names so please don't PM me.

Phantom

I have two rigs that I really like.  One is a Mernickle Rig that I bought used from this site.  The other one is one I just had made by Michigan Rattler.  Very impressed with his work.

I have three rigs and my favorite hands down is from Murphy's Custom Gun Leather. Persimmon Dan is  a SASS shooter and knows what a shooter needs to compete in our sport and is also a top notch SKB smith. There are many good leather makers in our fine country but pick one that knows our sport.

Turkey hen, welcome to the fire.

Get to some matches before you buy.  You can see many examples and hear from shooters.  There may be a local good source. There may be a good used or like-new set that someone is selling.

In no particular order:

Mernickle https://www.mernickleholsters.com/

Kirkpatrick http://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/

Knights http://www.knightsleatherproducts.com/index.html

Michigan Rattler http://www.michiganrattler.com/

JM-Leather https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://jm-leather.com/&ved=2ahUKEwjXhuO2vY7jAhWXbs0KHbn-DZkQFjAAegQIBhAD&usg=AOvVaw3OPMOumX100iXiNGSOpuv6

Red Cent - https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.redcentcustomleather.com/&ved=2ahUKEwiUtoukvo7jAhXOK80KHVtzDtEQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw1bpq5mCq83N5LxA3jNu9tW

Maddog Custom Leather - Etsy

Reddog Leather - Ebay

Utah Scout Leather - Ebay

Doc Noper - Facebook for contact info, no internet presence.

Jack Dixon/Dixon Leatherworks - Facebook

I'm sure there are other I'm forgetting, but those are the ones I can think of that know for certain how to make a rig that is good for CAS. As phantom mentioned get something from a known CAS  leather craftsman for a better result. Like others have said, get to a match as there may be someone local that can do a great job or maybe something used. Seems like @Red Cent may be in the general area of your club for example.

Doc Noper makes the best shotgun belts period.

If you are interested in something custom, give me call or send me a pm. I am another maker to add to the list of folks who understands the needs of SASS shooters as well as the rules that we need to play by.   My Business name is North Idaho Leather.  As was mentioned earlier, there are a lot of quality makers out there, but few who understand the needs for CAS. 

Here is a link to a basic rig that I make. I’m still designing and building inventory, so I apologize for the lack of content on my website. All of my work up to this point has been custom, so not a lot of it is on the site  For a better representation of my work, North Idaho Leather is on Instagram and Facebook. https://northidaholeather.com/products/gunfighter-rig 

Regardless of who you go with, just make sure that they understand what is required for our sport and Tom Bullweed gave you some sound advice. Go see what other folks are running before you spend your hard earned dollars. 

-Idaho Bob 

Michigan Rattler.   My wife and I are fairly new as well.  We looked at a lot of rigs from other shooters before we bought ours. We couldn't be happier with the ones from Rattler. He is an awesome guy to do business with and his work is second to none!

Doc noper. he is a world class shooter and has made rigs for the world's best. Also he is a heck of a nice guy he will help build a rig for you.  Not a cookie cutter rig off the shelf

Before you go and order a rig from anybody, figure out how you are going to be shooting.

Do you eventually want to shoot "Classic Cowboy"?  There are holster rules for that.

Do you eventually want to shoot "B-Western"?  There are holster rules for that.

Do you want to shoot gunfighter or in a double-duelist style?  Double strongside holsters are best for that...

Or, would you personally do better with a cross-draw holster?

Some do better with a bit of drop to their holsters, and some like their holsters to bend outwards at the top, away from their body.

Some folks want a highly competetive rig, this is a timed competition game... For that, you need a maker who understands the game.

Do you want your rig to be less "competitive" and more "historically correct"?

Or, are you severely budget limited and just need leather buckets to hold your guns for now?

Next time you are going to be at Wagram, drop me a PM beforehand, I can lend you some holsters until you get yourself set up.  What pistols/barrel lengths will you be using?  Let me know your waist size.  I have a few different belts.  One MAY fit... depending.

~Duc~

I started shooting sass in 2009. I had no idea how I wanted to play the game, which guns I wanted to shoot, what category I liked etc. 

I am not in it to compete against other pards, I just go to play. It took me 9 years to pull the trigger on my dream leather and just got it this season. 

My point is make sure you get what you need now and be open to change. I don’t use my original guns or leather anymore. 

I struggled with cheaper but historically correct looking holsters for an embarrassing number of years.  I wish I had bought my Kirkpatrick's a lot sooner.  If I had not found a good deal on a used pair of Kirkpatricks, I probably would have gone with Mernickle.  As with so many other things in life, you pretty much get what you pay for.

Look at the best shooters in your club and at the clubs you visit.  Look at how the holster holds the grip out away from the hip so you can grip and draw and reholster easily.  You can save a couple of bucks by getting holsters that fit on a gunbelt you already have.  Unless you are competing in B-Western which requires a Buscadero rig, it is an advantage to have holsters that can slide around on your gunboat; you can put them where you want them, within the rules of course.   I use a snap-on cartridge holder for those times when I have to carry extra ammo for a stage that requires a rifle or revolver reload.  Cartidge loops on a gunbelt are mostly for show these days, and carrying a belt full of ammo gets heavy pretty quickly.

This is a tough question to answer for me because I love leather so much that I practically have a different rig for every set of pistols, generally thematically matched. The great thing about most of the makers mentioned above is that they will do exactly what you want. I have a set of mernickle holsters that are very well designed for speed and look cool too. I liked it so much that I had Bob make me a special cavalry draw rig for my 2nd gen Colt 1851’s. As great as the mernickle rigs are, sometimes I feel like something more traditional. I have a rig from El Paso Saddlery designed for my John Wayne guns. That rig is slower than the mernickle, but more traditional looking and the belt is the most comfortable of all my rigs. I also have a rig from Kirkpatrick. I believe Kirkpatrick is a great blend of SASS and traditional styles. But my current favorite is my Tombstone Knights leather rig designed to resemble the man with no name rig. What was great about this rig is that it’s angled perfectly and setup as a double crossed belt system. Nick also steal lined it for free for me since Phantom had recommended him to me. Apparently Nick is one of the last people that hasn’t been offended by phantom (haha you know I couldn’t resist). 

5 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

This is a tough question to answer for me because I love leather so much that I practically have a different rig for every set of pistols, generally thematically matched. The great thing about most of the makers mentioned above is that they will do exactly what you want. I have a set of mernickle holsters that are very well designed for speed and look cool too. I liked it so much that I had Bob make me a special cavalry draw rig for my 2nd gen Colt 1851’s. As great as the mernickle rigs are, sometimes I feel like something more traditional. I have a rig from El Paso Saddlery designed for my John Wayne guns. That rig is slower than the mernickle, but more traditional looking and the belt is the most comfortable of all my rigs. I also have a rig from Kirkpatrick. I believe Kirkpatrick is a great blend of SASS and traditional styles. But my current favorite is my Tombstone Knights leather rig designed to resemble the man with no name rig. What was great about this rig is that it’s angled perfectly and setup as a double crossed belt system. Nick also steal lined it for free for me since Phantom had recommended him to me. Apparently Nick is one of the last people that hasn’t been offended by phantom (haha you know I couldn’t resist). 

I don't feel so bad now, I'm down to four rigs :lol:

I don't think your really a SASS WIre member until you've been offended by Phantom :P:lol:

17 hours ago, McCandless said:

Before you go and order a rig from anybody, figure out how you are going to be shooting.

Do you eventually want to shoot "Classic Cowboy"?  There are holster rules for that.

Do you eventually want to shoot "B-Western"?  There are holster rules for that.

Do you want to shoot gunfighter or in a double-duelist style?  Double strongside holsters are best for that...

Or, would you personally do better with a cross-draw holster?

Some do better with a bit of drop to their holsters, and some like their holsters to bend outwards at the top, away from their body.

Some folks want a highly competetive rig, this is a timed competition game... For that, you need a maker who understands the game.

Do you want your rig to be less "competitive" and more "historically correct"?

Or, are you severely budget limited and just need leather buckets to hold your guns for now?

Next time you are going to be at Wagram, drop me a PM beforehand, I can lend you some holsters until you get yourself set up.  What pistols/barrel lengths will you be using?  Let me know your waist size.  I have a few different belts.  One MAY fit... depending.

~Duc~

I’ll do that. Thank you sir. Everyone at the Wagram matches has been so friendly.

Taught myself how to do some leather work, made my own. It's not beautiful..but it fits a schofield nicely (which is hard to find out there), my ruger bisley and my uberti cattleman. Also made my own bandoleer. Each holster formed and made for my specific pistol. Tooled how I want it. 
It is not angled for optimum tactical precision, nor the finest finish etc..
(This, after paying some good money to people on the internets for some not so good quality)

All in all, I probably have more in it than one of the fancy maker rigs...but it's mine. One of the reasons I never got interested in IDPA,etc..is all the name brand overpriced crap you had to have or you werent considered anything more than a wannabe. (I've seen women less concerned with their purses than those guys and their outfit for impressing) 

Isn't that pretty much how it was done back then anyway?

I don't want to hijack this thread about favorite makers, but I wonder if other newer shooters (like me) also have questions about different holster styles in trying to answer the question of favorite holster-rig.  I'm trying to work out whether I want my holsters placed at my sides or further forward towards front of pockets (using a loop-over-the belt type rig so the holster can be moved).  Also,  is it better to have holsters that hold the grip of the pistol completely above the top of the belt or completely below the bottom of the belt or somewhere in between.   I know there are some category requirements (SASS handbook gives some information) and personal preference both play a part, but I'd be interested in how more experienced shooters have decided on "best" style for themselves.  Thanks. 

20 minutes ago, Ozark Okie said:

I don't want to hijack this thread about favorite makers, but I wonder if other newer shooters (like me) also have questions about different holster styles in trying to answer the question of favorite holster-rig.  I'm trying to work out whether I want my holsters placed at my sides or further forward towards front of pockets (using a loop-over-the belt type rig so the holster can be moved).  Also,  is it better to have holsters that hold the grip of the pistol completely above the top of the belt or completely below the bottom of the belt or somewhere in between.   I know there are some category requirements (SASS handbook gives some information) and personal preference both play a part, but I'd be interested in how more experienced shooters have decided on "best" style for themselves.  Thanks. 

To answer the question for YOU, follow the advice about going to several matches, and see what folks are wearing.  You may be able to get some pard to let you try not only the rigs but their guns.  The advantage to the holsters that have the belt loop over the top of the belt is that you can move them around to where they suit your style, plus the majority of original holsters were made that way, either with sewn on belt loops or Mexican one-piece style.  Once you determine where you want the holsters, you can always secure them to the belt by screw posts or leather thongs, or just stitching, all of which can be where they can't be seen.

If you do go to matches where someone lets you try their rig, it would be a good idea to take a belt of your own, since your waist size may differ from the lender's.  When you decide what you want, DO NOT go cheap!  Buy good quality leather.  It will last probably longer than...well.  I made my first "professional" holster (one that I got paid for), for my Air Force section OIC, for his Colt's Buntline special.  Forty-odd years later, when I ran into him at a missileer's convention, he was still using it on his farm!  My favorite holster and belt maker?  Go to www.gunfighter.com/trailrider  .  :rolleyes:  {NOT soliciting business!]  Personally, I wear a Miller-Fechet, gun butt to the rear on my strong side, with a M1869  Alder Gulch, crossdraw on my left side.  These are packed on a 1-7/8" FWCB-4 prairie belt, with a M1851 Enlisted Eagle Belt Plate, as my persona is a cavalry officer.

Welcome to the campfire, Pard!

Note about my avatar:  That picture was taken when I was a bit younger.  Unfortunately, palyentologists may have dug up "Tricey"'s bones, which are being analyzed at the Denver Museum of Nature & Science. OTOH, last few days they aren't sure if it is a triceratops or not! ;)

5 hours ago, Ozark Okie said:

I'd be interested in how more experienced shooters have decided on "best" style for themselves.  Thanks. 

5 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

@Ozark Okie trial and error. Best thing is go to some matches and look and try out things.

Tyrel Cody is on the right track.  Get a timer with a par time function and see which style and position allows you to dry fire a "stage" most efficiently.

You can holster the gun with the butt forward in a strong side holster to simulate a cross draw rig.  You can buckle your gun belt a bit higher or lower to simulate the amount of drop you need.  You can slide the holsters around on the belt from the side to more in the front, as long as you are not interested in a Buscadero rig.  You can put some kind of spacer, such as a wad of cloth, between your hip and the inside of the belt to simulate a holster that will position the grip away from your hip.  

You can get some very good information with a little dry fire experimentation and a timer before you invest those big bucks!  :D

Archived