SASS Wire Forum

73 Whisper lifter/lever spring replacement?

Slimy

Hello, Do it need to replace the Uberti 1873 rifle's brass lifter with a lighter aluminum lifter if I want to use the Whisper lifter/lever springs? I couldn't get the Smith Shop site to come up, but did find this note on the Online Outpost site in the Whister spring section:

*The original brass carrier is usually to heavy for the springs and we recommend replacing it with a lighter aluminum carrier (we have these carriers) or machining the original brass carrier to make it lighter.

The Whisper Springs are wire formed springs and may be adjusted by bending to give more or less pressure on the components.

If the springs can be bent to adjust pressure (second sentence above) would this negate the need for a lightened lifter?

Being very new to this rifle, any help is greatly appreciated!!

I am not the fastest or mostiest,    but like the feel of brass carrier over aluminum and run with whisper springs.   No problems that I can blame on the springs.   GW

I have a lifter that is set up for Cowboy .45 Special in my 66 with Whisper Springs.  The lifter is brass.  I also have them in a 73 with a stock lifter.  Never had a problem with either set up.

Or, Instead, you might consider SlixSprings Lever Side springs.  They are just a tiny bit stiffer.  If your running a rifle with a Short Stroke the only purpose the carrier side spring serves is to hold the carrier up long enough for the breach block to strip the round.  If your not running a short stroke modifying the Carrier Block won't make any perceptible difference.

I don't like either the springs or the Aluminum Carrier. I prefer a skeletonized Brass carrier and appropriately dressed stock springs. No doubt that many folks disagree.

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 12:00 PM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Or, Instead, you might consider SlixSprings Lever Side springs.  They are just a tiny bit stiffer.  If your running a rifle with a Short Stroke the only purpose the carrier side spring serves is to hold the carrier up long enough for the breach block to strip the round.  If your not running a short stroke modifying the Carrier Block won't make any perceptible difference.

The rifle I have has Uberti's version of a shot stroke kit (came with the rifle, competition model). I haven't looked inside yet so not sure what all they may have done carrier or spring wise. It functions very well though so far, just needs the action/trigger lightened up some. That SlixSpring looks nice. 

I couldn't get the Smith Shop site to come up

http://www.thesmithshop.com/

Site works just fine!

If you are still running the heavy factory leaf springs, you will be replacing a lever before long.  The round wire carrier and lever springs (Whisper or SlixSprings) are gentle on their contact with the carrier.  Unmodified Uberti factory springs are almost like a file, with sharp edges and heavy pressure.

Good luck, GJ

• 2 weeks later...

Archived