SASS Wire Forum

The Duke style gunbelt?

I like the looks of the suede leather belt on the duke style gun rigs but it doesn't appear to be as stiff as a regular leather gunbelt.  Has anyone used one of these belts and how did it work for you?  what did you like or not like about them?

Image result for duke gunbelt

I used one for about a year and a half.  The belt part, a money belt, is just great.  I really like the way the end with the holes passes through the buckle's end of the belt before going through the buckle.  Very secure and comfortable.

I replaced it with a plain gunbelt without cartridge loops.  I use a shotgun slide and, now, a slide for pistol/rifle ammo.  Not enough room on Duke rig for two holsters and a shotgun ammo slide 'cause of all the cartridge loops.  (Holsters and slide all fit, but no room for adjustment.)

Howdy Bob, I have the complete Shootist rig by El Paso Saddlery, they made the rig for John Wayne in the movie. I love the belt, have a couple of Long Hunter holsters and a 8 round Texas Jack shotgun slide hanging on it, very comfortable. Been using it for bout ten years, if it ever wears out I'll get another one.

The holsters on the Shootist rig are softer leather with goat skin lining, not the best for SASS, that's why I got the Long Hunters. Still very nice holsters, I use the X-draw to carry my Taurus Tracker when in the woods. Good Luck:)

https://epsaddlery.com/product/the-shootist-holster-and-belt/

Any leather worker worth his salt can easily do this to your specs AND it can be made as stiff as you desire.  They do have certain practical benefits as well as the appearance that some really like.  Just think on it, decide what you want from it and order her up!  If you want a Duke style matching holster do be sure and avoid the muzzle pointing to the rear as some would consider this to be more dangerous than an extreme cross draw.   

59 minutes ago, Jefro, SASS#69420 said:

Howdy Bob, I have the complete Shootist rig by El Paso Saddlery, they made the rig for John Wayne in the movie. I love the belt, have a couple of Long Hunter holsters and a 8 round Texas Jack shotgun slide hanging on it, very comfortable. Been using it for bout ten years, if it ever wears out I'll get another one.

The holsters on the Shootist rig are softer leather with goat skin lining, not the best for SASS, that's why I got the Long Hunters. Still very nice holsters, I use the X-draw to carry my Taurus Tracker when in the woods. Good Luck:)

https://epsaddlery.com/product/the-shootist-holster-and-belt/

I have that same setup and absolutely love it. The belt is the most comfortable one I have every used. You can ran, bend over to pick up brass, twist and turn, and it feels like you aren't even wearing a gun belt.

As an aside, El Paso made the rig for John Wayne to use in The Shootist, but he never used it. It seems that due to his sickness, he had lost too much weight and the rig never fit. The story goes that some stage hand ran down to the local shop and bought a Bianchi blet off the rack and he used that. Or so goes the legend and when legend becomes fact, print the legend.

Archived