SASS Wire Forum

emergency kit items?

Chili Ron

9 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

I just keep hearing so called experts say not to drink water from a plastic bottle that sat in your car due to leaching of chemicals from the plastic even ones without bpa.  Same for can goids leaching chemicals from the metal or leaching botulism,  heard can chili is bad to leach botulism 

I had heard that about water in plastic bottles so I tested it. Left a full bottle (one of the cheap bottles available everywhere) in one of my pickups through 3 years of freezing and 100 degrees in the cab. Drank it all with no side effects. The experts that made those remarks were probably paid by the companies that sell water in plastic bottles.

1 hour ago, Grass Range said:

I had heard that about water in plastic bottles so I tested it. Left a full bottle (one of the cheap bottles available everywhere) in one of my pickups through 3 years of freezing and 100 degrees in the cab. Drank it all with no side effects. The experts that made those remarks were probably paid by the companies that sell water in plastic bottles.

+100

3 hours ago, Grass Range said:

I don't believe any of the bottles are supposed to release toxins that cause ill effects immediately. 

Knowing what emergencies to plan for can be difficult.  Back in 2012 when the east coast was hit by what was called Hurricane Sandy,  the biggest problem aside from the food stores being empty for 3-4 days was no gasoline.  If you wanted to get out you could only get as far as a tank of gas would take you.  The only folks who had consistent power had generators powered by natural gas.  Even then, some communities were hit so badly, the gas distribution system was turned off as destroyed homes had open pipes coming out of the foundations. 

5 hours ago, Grass Range said:

Immediately? That was 10 years ago that I tested the theory and I have no problems.

Never mind.

5 hours ago, Grass Range said:

Immediately? That was 10 years ago that I tested the theory and I have no problems.

That was only one bottle, right? Usually problems appear with extended ingestion of possibly tainted or adversely affected water. 

7 hours ago, DocWard said:

I don't believe any of the bottles are supposed to release toxins that cause ill effects immediately. 

Yeah. Like Agent Orange. :blink:

Howdy,

And on further reflection....toss in a fisher spacepen. and the eyeglasses you just replaced.

And a few copper pennies and maybe a few silver coins too?

And a couple hairpins?  A couple paper clips?

Maybe a hacksaw blade?

Handcuff key?

Light pair of sunglasses?

The idea of little items to barter adds a new dimension too....

My nephew said they traded glow sticks for all sorts of things

in Afghanistan….hmmm. and he carried an 80 pound pack.

Best

CR

10 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

And on further reflection....toss in a fisher spacepen. and the eyeglasses you just replaced.

And a few copper pennies and maybe a few silver coins too?

And a couple hairpins?  A couple paper clips?

Maybe a hacksaw blade?

Handcuff key?

Light pair of sunglasses?

The idea of little items to barter adds a new dimension too....

My nephew said they traded glow sticks for all sorts of things

in Afghanistan….hmmm. and he carried an 80 pound pack.

Best

CR

I suspect the civilian tradees were disappointed when the light sticks stopped working and couldn’t be re-charged.

If you are including money in a bug-out bag, remember to carry some small denominations.  If all you carry is $50 bills, then everything you buy is going to cost you at least $50!  I would not expect to get change in a widespread emergency.

7 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:
17 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

I suspect the civilian tradees were disappointed when the light sticks stopped working and couldn’t be re-charged.

Like the Iraqi troops that took ATMs out of the walls from Kuwaiti banks because they thought they printed money.

On 6/26/2019 at 9:59 PM, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

By then it'l be too late to plan for!

That's true, but it isn't practical to prepare for EVERYTHING. You don't want your emergency kit to be an 80 lb. full backpack. You just use your best judgement and do your best. Some sort of kit beats nothing.

My 2 cents,

JHC

Howdy,

Well pards the emergency hit.

Power out. Not just a few seconds, not a minute or two.....

30 hours with no power. No AC for the start of JULY.No tv.

No web, not toast.  

And no exhaust fan in the bathroom......

Com Ed had recording and people reading scripts. 

A all time terrible night sleep during the outage and the next night

was bad as I kept waking up to see what was going on.

A battery powered fan would have been wonderful.

Try and find one.

Im warned to toss everything from the fridge and freezer.

Even stuff you would think is ok, may be contaminated from other stuff.

Thanks for reading.

And candles do help.

Best

CR

On 6/26/2019 at 1:33 PM, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Emergency kit suggestions?

I go out on the web and wow

too much information.

Im thinking fill a little ammo can.

These folks are talking wheeled carts.

Who drives around with food for six people for a week??

Best

CR

https://www.backpackerspantry.com/freeze-dried-food/kit/three-day-carnivore-meal-kit-two-person

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 7:44 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That was only one bottle, right? Usually problems appear with extended ingestion of possibly tainted or adversely affected water. 

Keep bottled in both trucks year around. But we have good water here.

In Scouts we carried the Ten Essentials for our outdoor adventures:  Ten Essentials

Useful ideas here too: Survival Kit

Whatever you decide to carry, make sure you understand how it works, and practice using it. An emergency is not a good time to find out there are pieces missing, you have the wrong fuel canister for a stove, or you have no idea how to use your gear. Replace the batteries annually and store them in a zip lock bag, not in the flashlight, radio, etc.. Replace your medicines annually too. 

The ammo can idea is good if you plan to stay with the vehicle. If you plan to hike to get to safety, an old backpack like kids use for school these days is a great way to carry enough stuff to survive for 1 to 3 days. Use the lists above and personalize your own 24 or 72 hour bag. 

To ease the worries about water stored in plastic bottles and to cut down on the weight of your kit, I recommend this product from Bernard:

E99839BE-8BCC-4E3F-894E-8AD0B8B8478D.jpeg.19d3a3be90d4fa4bda2cdacc4f9c889b.jpeg

Do not keep your medications in a hot car,  efficacy will diminish.

Heart meds, diuretics, diabetes meds, whatever-your-condition-meds will deteriorate in the heat. 

On 6/28/2019 at 12:01 AM, Trigger Mike said:

I just keep hearing so called experts say not to drink water from a plastic bottle that sat in your car due to leaching of chemicals from the plastic even ones without bpa.  Same for can goids leaching chemicals from the metal or leaching botulism,  heard can chili is bad to leach botulism 

I might worry about that if I ever quit smoking. ;) I figure aged bottled water would be better than none or drinking out of a creek (if you could find a creek with water in this country)

JHC

If it's an emergency enough to require a bug-out, there is usually enough notice to prepare an appropriate kit.  We normally don't travel with more than the basic fix-the-car-issue tools and my tote bag holds many useful things (yes, it weighs a ton).  I agree cash is a good idea.  And one other issue - somebody mentioned bleeding.  In CAS, we have many members who are on blood thinners, and lead splatter can cause an aggravating, if not a significant, problem.  I always carry WoundSeal and styptic pencils, along with other basic first-aid items,  in my range bag.

Archived