SASS Wire Forum

Browning BSS

Mustang Gregg

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I just swapped into a used BSS 12 from a Pard in NJ. 

Nice scattergun, but it's too "tight" for SASS.:unsure:

Who is your GO-TO Browning SXS mechanic?

Much obliged,

Mustang

22 minutes ago, Mustang Gregg said:

Much obliged,

Mustang

Rare for one to be too tight.   I'm sure most of the well known CAS smith's could work it over.   After a couple thousand openings, it should loosen without help.   

Just now, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Rare for one to be too tight.   I'm sure most of the well known CAS smith's could work it over.   After a couple thousand openings, it should loosen without help.   

Nope, they won’t “loosen up”.sending it to a competent smith like Ol #4!who specializes in BSS’s is the right thing to do for the gun and the shooter. 

17 minutes ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

Nope, they won’t “loosen up”.sending it to a competent smith like Ol #4!who specializes in BSS’s is the right thing to do for the gun and the shooter. 

We agree about the right thing being to get it looked at by a BSS experienced smith, for immediate results.  But I'd have to say that both my and my wife's BSS have loosened up substantially with CAS use over just a couple years.   Doesn't EVERY gun (in fact everything mechanical) loosen up with repeated operation and wear? 

2 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Contact info for #4?  I also have a BSS that could be tweaked. 

Does Curly Bill work on these? I know his Ruger work is top notch and I don't think Widder would let anyone else work on his 97.

6 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

We agree about the right thing being to get it looked at by a BSS experienced smith, for immediate results.  But I'd have to say that both my and my wife's BSS have loosened up substantially with CAS use over just a couple years.   Doesn't EVERY gun (in fact everything mechanical) loosen up with repeated operation and wear? 

Yup you got it, just leave them stock they will wear in

For all other applications the BSS was designed to be hunted with and hard at that. TheY are not a Stoeger or even a SKB for that matter and require more detailed tuning. Ol #4!has done his homework and he’s who I would trust. 

10 hours ago, Mustang Gregg said:

Much obliged,

Mustang

MG, I have one from Joe Brisco.  Let me know when you want to meet up and you can compare to see if Joe’s setup is what you want.  I’m at Hell on Wheels this weekend.  Shouldn’t you be out here too?  Tucker.

53 minutes ago, Tucker McNeely said:

MG, I have one from Joe Brisco.  Let me know when you want to meet up and you can compare to see if Joe’s setup is what you want.  I’m at Hell on Wheels this weekend.  Shouldn’t you be out here too?  Tucker.

No.   We couldn't go to HOW.  I have to use my vacation free days to go out of state to bury my mother in law.

Lonnie at Run N Iron is getting it sent off to him today.  He's just a 300 mi ride west of me.

He's done my Winchester M-24 SxS work in the past with great results.

MG

Archived