Dinner Experiment

Subdeacon Joe

Tried a few new things tonight.  
First:

Easy Buffalo Cauliflower Bites

Ingredients

2 tablespoons butter, melted

1/3 cup Frank's™ Red Hot™ Buffalo wings sauce

2 packages (10 oz each) fresh cauliflower florets (about 6 cups)

3/4 cup plain panko crispy bread crumbs

Steps

1 Heat oven to 450°F. Line 15x10x1-inch pan with cooking parchment paper.

2 In large bowl, mix melted butter and sauce. Add cauliflower; toss until well coated.

3 Place breadcrumbs in gallon-size resealable food-storage plastic bag. Add cauliflower; shake to coat. Place cauliflower in single layer on pan.

4 Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until light golden brown and crisp-tender.

Didn't have panko so I used regular bread crumbs, so they didn't have a crunch to the outside.  And used a different wing sauce.  
For dipping I made:

Homemade Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing

Ingredients

1 tablespoon  dried parsley

1/2 - 2 teaspoons  garlic powder

1/2 - 2 teaspoons  onion powder

1/4 teaspoon  ground black pepper

1/2 - 1 teaspoon  salt

1 tablespoon  fresh chives

1 cup  non fat plain greek yogurt

1/3 cup  buttermilk

1 teaspoon  Dijon mustard

1 teaspoon  lemon juice

Instructions

Place the spices (dried parsley - fresh chives) into a food processor and pulse a few times, until the spices have been ground up a bit.

Scrape down the sides.

Place the remaining ingredients - greek yogurt, buttermilk, Dijon, and lemon juice - into the food processor and pulse until the ingredients have been fully incorporated.

Scrape down the sides, if needed, and pulse again.

Transfer into a sealable container (like a mason jar) and place in the fridge until you're ready to use it!

Notes: *Some people like more or less garlic/onion powder, so start with a little and go from there!

** Nutritional information is for one tablespoon! That's only 192 calories for the whole recipe. Eat up!Nutrition FactsHomemade Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing

Amount Per Serving: Calories 12

Cholesterol 1mg 0%

Sodium 159mg 7%

Potassium 29mg 1%

Total Carbohydrates 1g 0%

Protein 1g 2%

Vitamin A 0.3%

Vitamin C 0.5%

Calcium 2.1%

Iron 

*** This is a pretty thin dressing, if you like thicker dressings, slowly add in the buttermilk, until the consistency you prefer is reached!

No dried parsley so I used fresh.  Also added some lemon thyme and Savory Spice Shop "Renaissance Gardens Seasoning" blend, maybe half a teaspoon.  And why get a food processor dirty?  I just minced all the herbs with my knife, then mixed everything in a small bowl.

Both are "I gotta do this again!" And "Hmm....If I add some....." 

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I guess it’s proof that it takes some effort to make cauliflower appealing! :lol:

Idiot simple, really.  Coat it in wing sauce, roll in bread crumbs,  bake.   Enjoy with ranch or blue cheese dressing. 

Or plain. 

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Idiot simple, really.  Coat it in wing sauce, roll in bread crumbs,  bake.   Enjoy with ranch or blue cheese dressing. 

Or plain. 

One misplaced comma is all that is needed for excitement or elevated blood pressures... :P

we've been putting the florets cut from a whole head in olive oil, salt and pepper then roasting on grill to get smokey taste.  Have to put another pan under the primary one or you'll burn the florets.

wife and I wiped out an entire head, course that was entire dinner

Ya list me at cauliflower.:lol:

I would totally eat that but Petey ain't eating no cauliflower.  And I don't know why -- he likes cabbage.

I don't recall if I posted this one yet:

Cauliflower Salad

1 head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into bite-size florets

3/4 cup mayonnaise

1 tablespoon mustard

1 teaspoon salt

ground black pepper to taste

3 hard boiled eggs, chopped

1 onion, chopped

3/4 cup frozen green peas, thawed

1/4 cup dill pickles, chopped

3 slices crisply cooked bacon, crumbled (optional)

Directions

Place cauliflower in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until just fork tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and cool slightly.

In a large bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, salt, and pepper. Add the cauliflower, eggs, onion, peas, dill pickles, and bacon to the dressing and stir until well coated. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours. The longer the cauliflower salad chills, the better the flavor.

*Add the eggs after everything else except for is mixed, then gently fold them in.  Add the bacon just before serving.

·       Lightly steam the cauliflower rather than boil it.  This screams to be played with.  Change up the types of mustard. Use frozen peas & carrots.  Add in diced celery.  Use cubed ham rather than bacon. Go wild.

Archived