SASS Wire Forum

Prescription safety/shooting glasses?

Charlie Harley, #14153

My eyes are not what they used to be at seeing things at arm’s length. That includes reading a book or seeing the front sight clearly. My distance vision is great, but precision shooting with iron sights is not possible any more due to the fuzzy blob hanging on the muzzle. 

I recall once seeing a pair of shooting glasses with a corrective lens in the top left corner of the right lens. I’m a right handed shooter and this is exactly where I peer when the cheek has a good stock weld.   At the time, I was young and healthy with perfect vision and no need for such silliness. It ain’t so silly now. 

Can anybody point me in a good direction to find such an optometric configuration?

The Wire’s wisdom is much appreciated. 

Dillon has what you described. I bought a pair and can't use them. The magnifier is so high & on the inside, I have to hold my head weird. Makes cheek weld an issue. On far away targets I can't see the targets at all. The sights are clear though! At cowboy distances, they may work for you. For $20 they aren't a ridiculous gamble however. Try some reader cheater glasses first to get the strength that works for you.YMMV

My eye doc worked up a prescription for me for 'computer glasses' which strangely are focused at just the right distance for my sights.

Lately I've been thinking I might should get some actual prescription shooting glasses with side shields with that script in the lenses.  Anyone have anything of the sort that doesn't look totally dorky?

At one time you could buy stick on "spots" that had different levels of magnification, much like the stick on prisms that are used for other vision problems. If they are still available this would allow  you to place the spot where you needed it and to "tune" them to your particular requirements .Don't know if they are still available though.

I've tried the stick on lenses and the readers with the optic in the top of the glass. I was able to get away with it for Bullseye where you are working with one gun at a set length.  But with four different guns, I just couldn't get it to work.  I worked with my optometrist and now shoot with a set of progressive lenses.  The same ones in my everyday eyeglasses.  As far as side shields, they can stick them on any frame.

I have worn trifocals now for over 15 years.  Shooting vision was a huge problem for me.  My optometrist spent considerable effort and several tries to find a prescription that works for me.  It is a single lense, with a focal length  right at 26" so pistol sights are sharp, rifle sights are sharp, but targets can be a bit fuzzy, but mass still quite visible. 

The worst problem now is reading stage descriptions.  When I'm a Posse leader, somebody has to hold them at 26" for me--always worth a laugh or two. 

My optometrist tried an upside- down bifocal, with the top focused at 26",and the bottom focused at distance.  It worked OK, but I just couldn't get used to it.  

Find an Optometrist who will work with you.  You'll get the best combo that way.  

I went to an eye doc that specializes in shooting glasses. He made me a pair of RE Ranger “edge” glasses with changeable lenses. The dominant eye lense is focused at front sight distance and the other is focused at 25 yds. I had my doubts but they work great with pistols rifle and even my Malcolm scoped sharps. Nice crisp front sight focus without moving my head around to find the sweet spot as I used to do with progressives. I have an amber set of lenses for sunny days and a yellow set for indoor shooting. Expensive but worth it for me 

MK

Top Focals

One of our shooters showed me his last Saturday.  Looked pretty good, haven’t bought any myself yet but thinking about it.

https://sspeyewear.com/collections/top-focal-tactical

In search of new shooting glasses after cataract surgery in November, with doctor's approval, I discovered that a + 1.5 or 2 diopter works for my shooting and most any distant need.  These  from Amazon at $8.00 work fine for me... Elvex RX-500C 2.0 Diopter Full Lens Magnifier Safety Glasses, Black Frame /Clear LensCareful not to get bifocal models.

I wear progressive lenses. All the time. Same prescription in safety glasses works for me. 

I wear ESS shooting glasses (ESS Ice model)  which allow for an insert with a prescription lens inside the normal shooting glasses.   This give the wrap around protection of shooting glasses and the help of prescription lenses.  In my case all I need is readers to see my front sight so I took some drug store progressive readers and popped the lenses out of the store frames, ground the edges down some to reshape them to fit the ESS prescription frames and pow! I had some excellent shooting glasses with a little help for me to see the front sight.   https://www.esseyepro.com/ICE-Eyeshield_209_category.html

13 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

In search of new shooting glasses after cataract surgery in November, with doctor's approval, I discovered that a + 1.5 or 2 diopter works for my shooting and most any distant need.  These  from Amazon at $8.00 work fine for me... Elvex RX-500C 2.0 Diopter Full Lens Magnifier Safety Glasses, Black Frame /Clear LensCareful not to get bifocal models.

I just ordered a pair of these from Amazon, Billy.  Thanks for the heads up.

My eye Doc made mine with right eye (dominant) front site, and left eye my normal script. Both have bifocal and transition to gray in the sun, they work great. Added a pair of B52 side shields for extra protection. Good Luck:)

22 minutes ago, Jefro, SASS#69420 said:

Added a pair of B52 side shields for extra protection. Good Luck

The side shields are important.  I got them a little over a year ago and twice since then, they've intercepted very large shards of lead incoming from the side.  They don't look very PERIOD authentic, but I wouldn't shoot CAS without them.  

Got WileyX prescription glasses/lenses from my Optometrist office. They wrap around, so no need for side shields. I also wear them while driving. Got a pair of sunglasses & a pair of clear. sunglasses for driving. Clear for shooting.

Archived