SASS Wire Forum

Ultra Sonic Cleaning Solutions???

I am looking for an ultra sonic cleaning solution that doesn't cost me $75 or $80 a gallon.

I've tried simple green and it cleans find, but leaves a film on the parts.

What do you use?

Thank you,

Johnny Meadows

I use the Hornady solutions. They work well. I did put two Vaquero cylinders in the brass cleaning solution once. Look at all the crud come off ! I says. Oops. Was the blueing. But they look really cool in the white!

Brownells ultra Sonic fluid is the best. Once parts dry it leaves behind a perfect protective coat of oil. I've tried everything. Simply the best.

Like OLG - 50/50 ATF and turpentine - just don’t use gasoline!

The modern Ed's Red mix BUT substitute the ATF for mobile 1 synthetic and leave out the acetone since it will evaporate instantly in a sonic cleaner.

1 part kerosene

1 part odorless mineral spirits

1 part mobile 1 synthetic oil

It wont clean quite like dish soap in water or simple green so hard carbon fouling on and around the cylinder faces and inside frame on pistols still needs a bit of chore boy and #9.  But it will completely clean everything else out without the need to fully strip the firearm or part and will lubricate everything at the same time.  No flash rusting on non stainless parts like 97 carriers and the gun is good to shoot once it dries a bit thanks to the mobile 1.

Otherwise, it seems like the most powerful cleaners require immediately switching to an oil bath when the gun or parts are taken out.  Im too lazy so I just use this.  For me the whole point is to make the job easier than hand cleaning not longer or more complicated.  my current gallon has lasted me years.

15 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

I use the Hornady solutions. They work well. I did put two Vaquero cylinders in the brass cleaning solution once. Look at all the crud come off ! I says. Oops. Was the blueing. But they look really cool in the white!

You do have to be careful these days with cleaners and gun finishes.  I sprayed out the actions on my wife's blued-finish Ruger Single Sixes with carburetor spray cleaner, which works great on all of my other  guns (as long as you keep it off of the wood finishes.)   The Bluing on the lower half of the SS frames immediately "orange peeled" and came off.  It wasn't a blued finish as advertised--just Rustoleum looking paint.   I had to re-blue the lowers on both guns.  

For ultrasonic cleaning, I generally have just used ATF or Simple Green, followed by a quick steam jet from jewelry steam cleaner.   Steam cleans wonderfully, and a steam jet cleaner can fairly easily be made DIY.  Lots of info on the Internet.  You can also just boil the parts for a few minutes.  If you keep the temp below about 275 F.  it won't affect the metal hardness or temper.  

Archived