SASS Wire Forum

Question About Empty Shotshells

Tequila Shooter

I'm having problems finding good once fired 12ga shotshells.  I like the green 2 3/4 Remingtons but it seems that no one has them anymore.  Sooo, I've been thinking of getting new unprimed Cheddite hulls.

My question is this - can I use Winchester 209 primers in those hulls?  

Thanks

TC

Most folks find that the European hulls (including Cheddites) are made for the slightly larger diameter European primers.   Win 209s can be expected to range from an "easy fit" to "loose fit" to "falling-out-loose" in those Cheddite hulls.  It's also a little "different" to load Cheddite hulls because they use "straight wall" wads and need changes to loading recipes from what you might have used with STS hulls.

I can find once fired Remington STS hulls at the larger trap, skeet or sporting clays clubs in my area, usually free for asking.  Right now, most clay bird shooters are buying new shells and tossing away the hulls because factory 12 gauge loads are pretty cheap (comparatively).

They are hard to find at Cowboy matches because lots of Cowboys reload, and the STS hulls are the best for easy shucking from double guns.

I buy new STS loads, shoot them at clays shoots, and keep my hulls (and any extras found at the club) for loading for cowboy AND clays shooting.

Good luck, GJ

3 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I buy new STS loads, shoot them at clays shoots, and keep my hulls (and any extras found at the club) for loading for cowboy AND clays shooting.

Good luck, GJ

^^^^ this.

36 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Right now, most clay bird shooters are buying new shells and tossing away the hulls because factory 12 gauge loads are pretty cheap (comparatively).

I'm a frequent customer at Grafs retail store.  They often have once fired STS and or AA hulls.  Richard said they paid 3 cents each and sold for 5 cents each.  He said they have some customers that buy STS by the pallet load.  He mentioned they would pay 3 cents for the hulls.  The guy's response,  he wouldn't bend over to pick them up for 3 cents.  

If you can develop a buddy that doesn't reload,  they well often save and pass them off to you.

We do a lot of work at our local match. One of my last chores is to dump the trash cans.  Depending on turnout,  I can often find enough STS and or AA to replace the ones I burn up shooting BlackMZ loads. 

1 hour ago, Patagonia Pete said:

5 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Both out of stock.

Price looks too high also.  Last AAs I bought cost me $20/500. 

Just now, Warden Callaway said:

0.07 to 0.10 each is normal around here. 0.12 each for 20 gauges. When folks give them to Kaya it's like finding gold. Especially her 20s.

I shoot reloaded Remington Gun Clubs for practice and local matches saving my STS hulls for major matches.  Gun Clubs reload well and at the clays ranges where I shoot are available for those who dumpster dive.

3 hours ago, Tequila Chase said:

I'm having problems finding good once fired 12ga shotshells.  I like the green 2 3/4 Remingtons but it seems that no one has them anymore.  Sooo, I've been thinking of getting new unprimed Cheddite hulls.

Thanks

TC

I don't reload shotgun shells. I use factory Remington Gun Club shells......many folks at the match want them for reloading. I suggest asking people at the matches that you attend if you can have their shells if they don't reload. After a while, you should have a good collection of good, once fired shells sorted by make.

I've gotten from these folks as well. Also currently out of stock. You might also check Gunbroker. Try google as well.

http://www.billydsupplies.com/index.php?cPath=25_23_26

2 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Both out of stock.

Well ... I just went to the Precision site ... picked 5x100 (500) gun clubs for $25 and put them in the cart and they say they are in stock and would be mine if I paid for them.

2 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Could you please post the link for the "green" remingtons ... I will buy them right now instead of $25/500 (gun clubs) ... at the Precision site. 

14 minutes ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Could you please post the link for the "green" remingtons ... I will buy them right now instead of $25/500 (gun clubs) ... at the Precision site. 

I bought them at a local gun shop.   

5 hours ago, Tequila Chase said:

Thanks

TC

Cheddite / Rio hulls etc are straight wall hulls not tapered like Remington/Winchesters . No biggie ... just wad choice.  

20 minutes ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Cheddite / Rio hulls etc are straight wall hulls not tapered like Remington/Winchesters . No biggie ... just wad choice.   

That is not all that is different.   From my experience (and lots of loaders on other shotgun forums), they won't stand up to as many reloads as STS will handle.  They shuck harder/stick more in doubles than STS hulls.  And they have the Euro size primer pocket.  And, if you think your load will be exactly the same if you change to a straight wall case from a tapered wall case, you are in for a big (volume) surprise.  :lol:

The OP has a path or two to get enough STS hulls to keep his shooting and loading exactly what he has been doing.   Sticking with STS hulls will keep his loading life simple.

Good luck, GJ

35 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

That is not all that is different.   From my experience (and lots of loaders on other shotgun forums), they won't stand up to as many reloads as STS will handle.  They shuck harder/stick more in doubles than STS hulls.  And they have the Euro size primer pocket.  And, if you think your load will be exactly the same if you change to a straight wall case from a tapered wall case, you are in for a big (volume) surprise.  :lol:

The OP has a path or two to get enough STS hulls to keep his shooting and loading exactly what he has been doing.   Sticking with STS hulls will keep his loading life simple.

Good luck, GJ

Yeap,  It is worth the trouble to search out STS or Nitro hulls.  In my case, they are toast after one shot anyway.  

13 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Well ... I just went to the Precision site ... picked 5x100 (500) gun clubs for $25 and put them in the cart and they say they are in stock and would be mine if I paid for them.

Well... The OP was asking about STS hulls. Both out of stock. 

Archived