SASS Wire Forum

EOT Hard Lessons Learned

Chicken George*

You always learn something at major matches and usually you learn more when things don't go well. I was going to write down some things so they don't happen again. Maybe we can share and hopefully we don't all have to make the same mistakes. 

Load your ammo early. If you don't, you may run out of time and decide to load your low recoil shotshells for your buckaroos on a friend's progressive reloader rather than your slow single stage. Your friend may not have the the reloader set up to size all the way to the rim and not know it because they still go into his double with chamfered chambers. Even though you told your kids to case gauge the shells they may not do it. You might not figure out why your kids are having so many problems with their shotgun until after they struggle through the warm up match, blow the shotgun side match and have a rough first day of shooting. It also will be hard to get their confidence back after that. 

Initial your scores. At 10 years old it may be easy to forget to initial your scores. But the one stage you forget to do it may happen to be the stage that the score keeper wrote your score on your time card and then got distracted and forgot to write it on the score sheet. You may notice on the posted scores a DNF instead of your score. They will not put in your score no matter how high you take it, even if your PM can vouch and you can't use obvious video evidence. Rules are rules and they won't make exceptions no matter how young you are. A 150 second stage that was shot in 24 will definitely move you back on your placements. 

Verify that the posted scores are correct. We have tried not to look at scores until we are done but you definitely should verify them. Otherwise, you may be surprised at the awards when your other Buckaroo placed further down than you expected. You may figure out later that when the scores were put into the computer, they accidentally put 5 misses instead of 1 on a stage. But by then it is too late and you won't get the trophy that you should have got. 

4 hours ago, Chicken George* said:

Initial your scores.

As a designated scorekeeper, I couldn't agree more.  I will never, ever cheat you on purpose, but I can screw up, especially if it's hot and I'm tired and it's our next-to-last stage and y'all are standing between me and a cold beer.

53 minutes ago, SouthwestShooter said:

Here's another one,,,,,funnel check pistol n rifle ammo to avoid squibs

Funnel check?  Can you educate me on that one?

9 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Funnel check?  Can you educate me on that one?

Take a small plastic or metal funnel with the small end the size of the ammo your shooting, then put the round into the funnel and hold it up to your ear and shake it back & forth and hear the powder moving in the case. 

6 minutes ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

Take a small plastic or metal funnel with the small end the size of the ammo your shooting, then put the round into the funnel and hold it up to your ear and shake it back & forth and hear the powder moving in the case. 

Or get a 650 with powder check.

19 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Or load BP or sub and you can see when it's got powder or not. By the way, did you lose your mind when you moved? Shooting a BP category?????

13 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Or load BP or sub and you can see when it's got powder or not. By the way, did you lose your mind when you moved? Shooting a BP category?????

I did lose my mind...but that doesn't have anything to do with shooting BP :lol:

Shoot FC last year and finished 2nd at EOT and WR... Figured I'd try FCD this year.

Envision a monkey and a football...

:o

OK, that makes sense.  But I load on a turret press anyway and have to manually place the bullet on the casing.  I inspect every casing visually to make sure it has sufficient powder.  Thanks for the insight.

49 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I did lose my mind...but that doesn't have anything to do with shooting BP :lol:

Shoot FC last year and finished 2nd at EOT and WR... Figured I'd try FCD this year.

Oh yeah, you just hold his head......

4 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Personally, I prefer using a Hornady Lock N Load AP press with an RCBS Powder Lock Out die. ;)

19 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Are you going to try FCGF next year? Come one. Do it. It's the most fun you can have in SASS. Except perhaps Frontiersmen Gunfighter

5 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Are you going to try FCGF next year? Come one. Do it. It's the most fun you can have in SASS. Except perhaps Frontiersmen Gunfighter

People would die...so... No.

+1 on checking scores. At the WV showdown last year my time sheet showed an 80+ second stage. I know darn well I didn't have a stage take me almost a minute and a half. But mistakes happen. You bet your butt this year I'm checking the card after I'm done unloading...

33 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Die laughing? Been there before. Probably the entirety of my first year.

I'm thinking more like some innocent posse member would end up getting shot. I can't play the piano and I can't Shoot GF.

We also load on a 650 with a powder check.

However, the funnel check task  as a quality control, especially for any major match, or match important to someone, is pretty much fool proof to avoid squibs.

The funnels are regular sets of 3 found at most grocery stores.  The small one works on 32's, the middle on 38's, and the large usually on 45's.

Archived