SASS Wire Forum

Gun Carts

I have a wooden gun cart. Looks like a small buck board wagon. I was thinking about putting my long guns downward as I have seen many other gun carts have them this way.

So...can anyone tell me which way is correct ?

Quite frankly, I don't like my face being swept by them always. 

Having them pointing down creates an added issue of getting them safely pointed upward to transfer them to the loading table and then back again after leaving the unloading table. 

I tried transporting my long guns pointed down at an at one match years ago. The hassle wasn’t worth it.

I have to ask, do you not check your guns before putting them into your cart with the actions open at the start of the match and after each stage? If you have ensured they are unloaded and you leave your actions open wouldn’t that render them safe for transport in your cart?

SASS rule book doesn't address the issue.  Club rules or policy may.  Personally, I have no issue with up, down or horizontal as long as the actions are visibly open, or chamber flags are used.  

13 hours ago, Apache Hawk 60642 said:

I have a wooden gun cart. Looks like a small buck board wagon. I was thinking about putting my long guns downward as I have seen many other gun carts have them this way.

So...can anyone tell me which way is correct ?

Quite frankly, I don't like my face being swept by them always. 

I'd much rather be swept by my guns as I know that they are safely unloaded. I can't say the same for yours when you pull them out of the cart. I'm not saying that you are unsafe, I'm just saying that I would rather they face up when they are removed from anyone's cart.

12 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Having them pointing down creates an added issue of getting them safely pointed upward to transfer them to the loading table and then back again after leaving the unloading table. 

I tried transporting my long guns pointed down at an at one match years ago. The hassle wasn’t worth it.

I have to ask, do you not check your guns before putting them into your cart with the actions open at the start of the match and after each stage? If you have ensured they are unloaded and you leave your actions open wouldn’t that render them safe for transport in your cart?

Some folks are somewhat averse to muzzles, even safe ones, pointing at them.

I dare say Hawk has a good reason for that and I understand.

I'm one, freak out when a muzzle is pointed at me even when I know the action on that gun is open. Just have never liked that situation. Guess just had one too many pointed at me that were loaded. (and going off):o

Well, I can say that I also get pretty jumpy when someone is swinging the muzzle of their gun at me when mishandling their firearms.

1 hour ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Many ranges are "muzzle" open ranges so.....

What's a muzzle open range?

• 3 weeks later...

The last Cowboy Chronicle has showing two new gun carts....three wheelers...one with the guns pointed up, the other pointed down.

Think it was on one of the last pages, lower right side I think.

Archived