SASS Wire Forum

SpaceX Launch Tonight

Subdeacon Joe

3 hours 34 minutes ago...:unsure:

I missed it. I always seem to miss them. Even when I know ahead of time. I think I have a mental block...or I just space out. :P:D

I guess I'm getting old! :( I used to stay up or get up early if a launch was going in the middle of the night. But I wasn't about to watch a 0030 liftoff (if that's when it actually did), and stay up for three plus hours until the mission was completed.  From this morning's reports everything went fine, except recovery of the booster cored, which missed the OCISLY barge, but just barely.  :(  Impact was way downrange, with very high velocity,  They did nail the landings of the two side boosters at the Cape!  That, and the orbital plane changes, plus recovery of the payload fairings are phenomenal in and of itself.  All sorts of satellites (24 in all), including the ashes of 152 individuals by Celestus).  Eventually, they will get the core booster back. Way to go, SpaceX!

According to Elon Musk, the core booster was travelling so fast that some of it melted during reentry.  The fact that it missed the barge is something interesting because it apparently swerved at the last minute so it missed the barge, which it was approaching at too high a speed!  Talk about artificial intelligence...or something!

Ad Luna! Ad Ares! Ad Astra!

Archived