SASS Wire Forum

DeFarb Question

Waxahachie Kid #17017 L

Defarb as in making the gun run really well (blueprinting and slicking)?   Almost all the cowboy gunsmiths can do that easily..

Defarb as in taking all the modern or Italian or Chinese marks off the gun and restamping period correct marks?  Well, Run-n-Iron or Turnbull restoration shops would probably do that if you paid them enough, but it will be expensive and of little purpose for most SASS considerations.

Good luck, GJ

GJ, Wouldn't it be illegal to remove Chinese markings and stamps and restamp with period correct markings such as Winchester and serial number 596,395 instead of 04000223? Or am I missing your meaning?

Some collectors been misled by the second type of defarbing.   Intentional or not, it's a sad thing.

Changing or removing a SERIAL NUMBER on a gun is a federal violation.   No quality gunsmith will even discuss doing that.   Recutting a serial number to be more legible that has been damaged by over zealous polishing during rebluing - I believe that is allowed under US federal regs.

Removing all but the manufacturer's name and the serial number seems to be legal but, as said above, is often considered a poor practice.  Removing a chamber designation (like .357 Magnum) is a VERY POOR idea, mostly from the safety aspect.   Not remarking the chamber designation when a gun is rechambered to something different - same poor safety practice. 

But I've seen examples of all of these things.

Good luck, GJ

Archived