SASS Wire Forum

Stevens 235 worth $505?

Stopsign32v

No, that is way too much for this shotgun.

Last one I bought, I got for $325.

Not the best choice for CAS.

Hammer sprigs are VERY STIFF 

Good for ignition, but slow & difficult to cock.

They are fine old shoguns, but IMHO, there are better options for CAS

My 2 cents

--Dawg

I have one, I paid 500.00 for it, but it has been restored with  reblued barrels, the receiver has been color case hardened and has some nice engraving hi-lighting the JA Stevens logo. The wood is very good also and it has a large bead sight. 

I agree with the boys that  it has truck springs for main springs. I use it occasionally for cowboy but not as my main match gun. I have a TTN Colt repo for that.

I’ve had a couple others, not refinished but serviceable. Sold them for $250 but that was 4 or 5 years ago.

Many reasons why the "odd" and old doubles are not used in most SASS matches.  You are not the first to try something "different" hoping it will be a good idea. 

it seemed for a shooter the best option would probably be a Stevens 235.

This gun, especially at $500, will not be your "good idea" if you are really wanting a match shotgun.   THE most cost effective match hammered-double shotgun for SASS is still the Colt 1878 clone, which is made now as the Cimarron 1878.

Good luck, GJ

3 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Many reasons why the "odd" and old doubles are not used in most SASS matches.  You are not the first to try something "different" hoping it will be a good idea. 

This gun, especially at $500, will not be your "good idea" if you are really wanting a match shotgun.   THE most cost effective match hammered-double shotgun for SASS is still the Colt 1878 clone, which is made now as the Cimarron 1878.

Good luck, GJ

IF you can find one, although Johhny Meadows may still have one.

I had several of them used them for SASS until the imports started showing up .I agree with Prairie Dawg there are better choices out there . The last one I sold was a uncut 30" with very nice finish and I think I got around $325. for it the buyer just liked old shotguns .

Woodfox

$505 and most likely it'll have the original chamber configuration that predates the modern 2-3/4" plastic folded crimp shells with plastic cup wads.  When I got into these old smokeless era doubles I looked for a gunsmith that would recut the chambers and lengthen the forcing cone.   One guy wanted $200 per chamber!  I found a cowboy gunsmith in the bunch we shoot with that did the job for $20. 

I sold my Cimarron 1878 to a guy cowboying up for his first match for not a lot more than $505.  I should have asked more but it was a cash in hand local trade.  

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

$505 and most likely it'll have the original chamber configuration that predates the modern 2-3/4" plastic folded crimp shells with plastic cup wads.  When I got into these old smokeless era doubles I looked for a gunsmith that would recut the chambers and lengthen the forcing cone.   One guy wanted $200 per chamber!  I found a cowboy gunsmith in the bunch we shoot with that did the job for $20. 

I sold my Cimarron 1878 to a guy cowboying up for his first match for not a lot more than $505.  I should have asked more but it was a cash in hand local trade.  

I'm going to shoot brass 12ga shells out of it. Could I not just adjust the length of the shells correctly?

53 minutes ago, Stopsign32v said:

I'm going to shoot brass 12ga shells out of it. Could I not just adjust the length of the shells correctly?

Magtech brass hulls would work very well with no problems as far as chamber or gun. 

12 minutes ago, Stopsign32v said:

What about the Winchester 12? I have both

Brass hulls?  If they are the 2.4" length same as Magtech,  they should work the same.  

Back in the day,  there was no real standardization on chambers or lengths.  Most guns were not even marked with gauge or length. So with antique hulls,  anything is possible. 

The chambers will be cut to 2-5/8.

With mine, I shortened plastic hulls and roll crimped them.

With the short forcing cones, fiber wads also work well.

I shot black powder in mine -- Here is a good read about loading for older shotguns

http://www.tbullock.com/bpsg.html

Have fun with it.

--Dawg                                                                                                                                                                                                    

34 minutes ago, Stopsign32v said:

Well this one just sold for $405 plus shipping https://www.gunbroker.com/item/818841289

Looks nice.  He doesn't say anything about the action lockup or if the action is functional.  As is no return.  

$405 + $45 shipping + money order fee + FFL transfer. 

Archived