SASS Wire Forum

EOT stages

doc roy l. pain

53 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Hope you washed the lead off your hands first, or only handled it by a nakpin.   Every little bit adds up. 

I rubbed em on my pants reeel good after each stage!!!! Does that count??:D

{ There are portable wash stations spread across the range at EOT}

Even have soap and water;)

Page 7......WOW

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, doc roy l. pain said:

I had to go back to my original post to see what this thread was about. EOT stages and thanking those responsible for them. Since then we have gone to comparing sass to several other professional sports, shotgun targets favoring double shooters, discussing short stroked and raced up guns, talking about pizza, and now about Bud using borrowed guns to win an EOT. If our sights wander off target as much as our posts wander off topic it’s no wonder we only had 29 clean shooters this year at EOT. LOL 

and ice cream Doc...bet you are not surprised.

Randy, I think it will make 10 but most likely more than half off course of OP.

The good news, some good opinions and comments within all the pages.

4 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Is frozen custard ice cream? 

many homemade ice cream recipes are custard base.

Frozen custard is similar ice cream, but the one key difference being that the frozen custard contains egg.  It also tends to have a denser consistency, and, if made right, full of rich flavor. Frozen custard also keeps at about 18 degrees F compared to ice cream at 10 degrees F. Can be put in a bucket and scooped or served soft-serve style.

However, that all being said.....my wife is telling me that, if travel is not an issue, she votes for us all to go to Florence, Italy, for some pistachio gelato. 

Well you know the dust has settled when the conversation is reduced to aliens, custard, and ice cream!  All good......:D

I wanted to congratulate EOT for a fine World Championship.  I was unable to make the last 2 EOTs, and certainly this was the best one I have attended.

The attention to detail was clearly the result of much hard work on the part of the WB, and all the volunteer support staff (it takes a village)......they are to be commended for an excellent job.  There are things that will go wrong at EVERY match (I know) and we learn from every event, but they made it appear seamless to the shooters who were there for a good time!  Fun and free beer......what more can we ask for!  Thank you to Misty for her vision, and for being the awesome leader of a great team of folks!

As for the stages and targets, I must say that I was pleased to see that there was a degree of "shooting" challenge to the match.  I am thankful that some matches are still a "shooting competition" and not a "how fast can I cycle my guns" match.    Please don't get me wrong:  whilst I fully appreciate close and big targets, and have a great time shooting those matches, I believe that there needs to be a variety.....and each match should have it's own flavor and quality.  Every match should NOT be Bordertown!  (I will always love Bordertown, however :rolleyes:

I think the targets were all very "hitable", and the one miss I had, I earned all by myself:wacko:.   The scenarios were different and new for me, and overall I REALLY enjoyed the match.   For me,  there was just enough challenge and variety to make this a world class event. 

A monster Thank You to Deuce and Lassiter for all the hard work putting on great match, I had a wonderful time!  I will be back!  We love EOT!

I enjoy shooting anywhere. Let’s get that straight. Look at Bordertown, just a state match but has to turn people away every year. Why? Because the targets are big and close. You tilt the targets down and put small fence or hay bales in front of firing line. Not much splatter. We as shooters PAY thousands of dollars to go to eot. You don’t pay us. We are there to shoot with the fastest. A person who shoots a stage in the 20’s who is used to the 30’s will be back. Because he had a great time. If he shoots it in the 40’s , he won’t be back. Again, lots of money to feel bad. You didn’t slow down the fast shooters. All you did was keep the older shooters from getting their clean match. The numbers were going up because of the way the match had been set up. I bet they will start going down again. The hundred plus new shooters this year were expecting a different match than what they got. I hear a lot of positive on this forum. All I heard at eot and here at home is negative comments. I would love to know how many procedurals there were. Almost everyone I’ve talked to had one or two. Am anxious to see the numbers for next year. 

I felt this was THE BEST EOT shooting venue that I have attended.   Hands down,,,,,   I had a P,,, on a 3223,,,  duh!! easy sequence that I messed up,  one rifle miss because I was arguing with myself over how fast to shoot the stage,,,  again  duh!!    I shot the pistols clean, save for 4 that I lost due to a squib,, again, duh,,,,

this indeed was my favorite EOT, even tho I came in second,,,, 

On 6/28/2019 at 6:23 PM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I'll tell ya this, his 97 was stiff as a board... Bud is a freak of nature... No sitting around and dry firing everyday all day.

In other words, he has a life.

When Bud was on top of the/his game I think I recall BJT lamenting loading tens of thousands of rounds a year for live fire practice.  Am I mis-remembering?

Regardless, yeah, he was freaky fast.   As are some today.

33 minutes ago, Stump Water said:

When Bud was on top of the/his game I think I recall BJT lamenting loading tens of thousands of rounds a year for live fire practice.  Am I mis-remembering?

Regardless, yeah, he was freaky fast.   As are some today.

Oh he shot a lot... But his dad also told him after winning EOT (I think), to get over it cuz yer not going to make a living out it (CAS).

Phantom

On 6/26/2019 at 5:07 PM, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Yes. Exactly. And there's nothing at all wrong with that. People should just be saying that. But a couple of people now have tried to compare SASS to other sports and it's not even apples to oranges, but rather apples to corned beef hash. It's beyond disingenuous to try to claim that SASS shouldn't be making the championships harder because other sports don't, when in fact SASS is making the championships easier. For what it's worth, I have my personal preferences, but I will more than happily go along with whatever is best for SASS and keeps the game going long into my retirement. I selfishly want my turn to get the RV and go to every big match across the country.

I am at best a “middle of the pack” shooter and go to EOT with NO expectations save to have fun. Although  I could not attend this year I’ve attended the last five . I find it interesting that Ive shot my best at EOT every year I’ve attended. My original intent was to go ONCE to say I went . I went back the next four years because I had more fun each year than the last. I had every intention of going this year but family considerations won out.i personally could care less about the stage design. Being a match director at my home club, I can testify that no matter what you do, you will get some negative feedback. I agree with Phantom, the middle of the pack shooters pay the bills. It’s not just the stages that dictate the experience, but the entirety of the match. With that said EOT has hit the mark every year that I attended. I find it hard to believe that this year would be any different.

Would the percentage of clean shooters have risen substantially without so many cowboy targets?  Anything outside the center mass has a chance of hitting the targets legs, arms or head or in between .   Matter of chance.  Obviously many of us need to slow down and hit center mass.  As stated earlier:  you can only put up the targets you have.  Maybe that was the case or they were trying to make us use our sights.   I had a blast, and the difficulty of EOT  will dictate how I practice to be a better shooter.   I also had a blast at EOT during the TA Chance era.  Two different matches.   I especially enjoyed the stages this year.  There was a lot of strategies on how to best shoot it.  The work Deuce, Lassiter and Cowboy Carty put into this match is greatly appreciated.  The amount of work everybody else put into the match was incredible.  I appreciate the SASS Wire for its feedback but I hope  everyone completes their surveys.      Hope to see everyone return.  SASS is constantly making improvements on their facilities and working towards a better formula.  

I certainly hope EOT's participation numbers increase rather than dwindle.  I remember the recent year EOT pulled the targets in and the participation numbers increased...a lot.  I also remember reading here, on the Wire, how many people were NOT in favor of that.  They did not think it worthy of a World Championship match.  I think the changes this year made it a World Championship.  I really liked the scenarios!  A little different and fun to run.   Not every stage had pistol targets set out further than recent years. From someone borne and raised in CAS in Tombstone and Tucson with Bordertown-type target sets and sizes, here's  MHO.  You can't please every competitor at a match.  You can only do your best at keeping the playing field even, fun and...yea, at state and above matches a little challenging.  Yes, there was a stage with targets set at angle.  It was one of my best.  It was about placing yourself where you needed to be.  The targets were not smaller than past years.  That's a perception.  Distances were changed - pistols, and not much but enough on some stages to notice but all were hittable.   Rifle targets were certainly hittable and you could make up speed there...if you chose to.  It wasn't a "pray and spray" match. It wasn't a monthly match or Bordertown or other annual that has all stages with big targets set close.  There's room in the game for it all.  Bordertown is Bordertown and is its own match with its own flavor.  Lord knows I love to pray and spray!  But I also like runnin' and gunnin' and there was plenty of that at EOT as well!  Lanny Basham says when going to a big match practice everything so you're prepared for anything.  I believe if you come to a match with expectations you've set yourself up for disappointment.  It wasn't a "pray and spray" match.  BUT it WAS all about strategy  and front sight.  And you know what?  We should approach any stage that way anyhow.  Even if it's big and close.  That's what I took away from this match.  And I will be a better shooter for it.  I didn't perceive any P traps - just a lot of latitude offered the shooter to execute a stage the best they could to their strengths.  So, the changes this year made me think that Lassiter, Deuce & Carty read/listened to shooter response about level of challenge for world competition.  Oh, I had my own issues, too.  5 misses all pistol.  Distance?  I WISH!  No, it was more like...head up the butt!  Puttin' it away before I was finished shooting, poor positioning, loose grip, slip hammerin' when I shouldn't have, stuff like that.  Stuff that practice/dry firing etc. can help erase.   

I was not at EOT. I did speak to many shooters that attended. They weren't really upset about target size and placement, they seemed to be more surprised. What they expected from past years had changed and in turn the shooters had to change their stragedy (my word for strategy and tragedy combined). Sounds like a match I would have enjoyed. Even though I don't like those pesky little cowboy targets. Folks expect big close targets at Bordertown, they expect lots of movement at HOW, perhaps now they know what to expect at EOT. It's all fun!

3 hours ago, Assassin said:

I was not at EOT. I did speak to many shooters that attended. They weren't really upset about target size and placement, they seemed to be more surprised. What they expected from past years had changed and in turn the shooters had to change their stragedy (my word for strategy and tragedy combined). Sounds like a match I would have enjoyed. Even though I don't like those pesky little cowboy targets. Folks expect big close targets at Bordertown, they expect lots of movement at HOW, perhaps now they know what to expect at EOT. It's all fun!

Yes, LL aka Assassin, I think you would have liked it.

3 hours ago, Sassy Dancer, SASS #70118 said:

I certainly hope EOT's participation numbers increase rather than dwindle.  I remember the recent year EOT pulled the targets in and the participation numbers increased...a lot.  I also remember reading here, on the Wire, how many people were NOT in favor of that.  They did not think it worthy of a World Championship match.  I think the changes this year made it a World Championship.  I really liked the scenarios!  A little different and fun to run.   Not every stage had pistol targets set out further than recent years. From someone borne and raised in CAS in Tombstone and Tucson with Bordertown-type target sets and sizes, here's  MHO.  You can't please every competitor at a match.  You can only do your best at keeping the playing field even, fun and...yea, at state and above matches a little challenging.  Yes, there was a stage with targets set at angle.  It was one of my best.  It was about placing yourself where you needed to be.  The targets were not smaller than past years.  That's a perception.  Distances were changed - pistols, and not much but enough on some stages to notice but all were hittable.   Rifle targets were certainly hittable and you could make up speed there...if you chose to.  It wasn't a "pray and spray" match. It wasn't a monthly match or Bordertown or other annual that has all stages with big targets set close.  There's room in the game for it all.  Bordertown is Bordertown and is its own match with its own flavor.  Lord knows I love to pray and spray!  But I also like runnin' and gunnin' and there was plenty of that at EOT as well!  Lanny Basham says when going to a big match practice everything so you're prepared for anything.  I believe if you come to a match with expectations you've set yourself up for disappointment.  It wasn't a "pray and spray" match.  BUT it WAS all about strategy  and front sight.  And you know what?  We should approach any stage that way anyhow.  Even if it's big and close.  That's what I took away from this match.  And I will be a better shooter for it.  I didn't perceive any P traps - just a lot of latitude offered the shooter to execute a stage the best they could to their strengths.  So, the changes this year made me think that Lassiter, Deuce & Carty read/listened to shooter response about level of challenge for world competition.  Oh, I had my own issues, too.  5 misses all pistol.  Distance?  I WISH!  No, it was more like...head up the butt!  Puttin' it away before I was finished shooting, poor positioning, loose grip, slip hammerin' when I shouldn't have, stuff like that.  Stuff that practice/dry firing etc. can help erase.   

excellent post. Thank you Sassy

On 6/28/2019 at 9:24 PM, Yul Lose said:

Butterfinger or Oreo.

Try Heath and Butterfinger mixed....its all the rage!

Archived