SASS Wire Forum

Kirkpatrick Leather Belt Style

bgavin

I have been advised to get both holsters that can move on the belt.
I'm inclined toward the full width belt, but felt it necessary to ask the experienced hands first.

My intended style is Gunfighter or Dual Duelist.
Practice makes perfect, so I'll start at the bottom and work my way up properly.

I like the full belt, but some like the tapered Ranger styled belt because they feel it's easier to bend over.  As a leather guy, I sell about the same number of each.  The tapered belt might also be a little lighter in weight.

If you can, try a similar belt of each style and determine which one feels better to you.

As Mongo said, If you’re old and fat (as a few of us are) the tapered belt makes it easier to bend over. ;)

Being a traditionalist, I kinda like the full belt.

9 hours ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

I like the full belt, but some like the tapered Ranger styled belt because they feel it's easier to bend over.  As a leather guy, I sell about the same number of each.  The tapered belt might also be a little lighter in weight.

If you can, try a similar belt of each style and determine which one feels better to you.

8 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

As Mongo said, If you’re old and fat (as a few of us are) the tapered belt makes it easier to bend over. ;)

Being a traditionalist, I kinda like the full belt.

What they said ^^^^^^

Also, in regards to the full belt, they seem to give a little more added support to the belt overall. Less up and down flexing at the buckle.

How do you intend to carry your shotgun shells? A shotgun slide might be better in a full belt. If on a separate belt then perhaps the tapered belt. Also, do you ever intend to carry a cross draw? A full belt might be what you want for that. 

Edit: You said Gunfighter or Double Duelist. So, probably no x-draw.

Kirkpatrick makes quality stuff. I would think a tapered belt from them would give plenty of support. The one tapered belt I tried was not a quality belt and support at the buckle was lacking.

My intent is carrying shotgun shell pairs in a separate belt, as shown in the picture above.

Kirkpatrick states their LH09 rig is SASS compliant.
It appears to have enough bling and configuration to pass muster in a B-Western category, should I ever want to do that.
I won't ever shoot in Classic or Frontiersman, etc, because I have zero interest in owning those types of guns.

X-draw doesn't really interest me at all.
As I age, I slow down mentally... so I want to avoid a potential 170 degree violation.

I will never be a Deuce Stephens or Doc Shapiro.. I'm just interested in having fun and participating.
I am mostly ambidextrous, so Gunfighter and D.D. look attractive to me.
It's a bucket-list thing..

I want to buy once, buy right.

11 minutes ago, bgavin said:

It appears to have enough bling and configuration to pass muster in a B-Western category, should I ever want to do that.

Not even close.

I've made both styles for customers.  I've seen pictures of both styles, as well as antique belts both ways.  I agree, if you suffer from a bit of "Dunlop's disease" (belly done lopped over the belt  buckle :rolleyes: ) then the tapered style is probably more comfortable. Depending on how far forward you intend to slide the holsters, the full style is a bit more flexible in terms of holster placement (NOT the belt being more flexible).

Thanks for the input.

My body fat is the type under the muscle layer (the most dangerous kind).
I'm leaning toward the full width belt style.

My intent is learning Gunfighter or Dual Duelist styles, no cross draw, etc.
I have both 4.625" and 5.5" Vaqueros in 357.  No desire for anything else.
I don't know if this poses a problem or not, for a given holster.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

My intent is learning Gunfighter or Dual Duelist styles, no cross draw, etc.

I have both 4.625" and 5.5" Vaqueros in 357.  No desire for anything else.
I don't know if this poses a problem or not, for a given holster.

Double Duelist

Get 5.5" holsters so both will fit right. The 4 5/8" will probably cover the 5.5" barrel, but then again they might poke out a tad.

Just curious, does anybody own or have experience with this Kirkpatrick LH-09 / PS2 rig?

I understand this rig was developed with Long Hunter and incorporates a number of technical advantages.

Might want to look at model 11.

I've been run'n one for about 12 yrs now.

Was a Duelist till Old Arthur took over my right hand.

http://www.knightsleatherproducts.com/sixteen.html

Close up-

16.11.JPG

Call and talk to Nick-He will do custom work also.

Turn around time is pretty quick.

BTW-I have the natural oil finish......Ages great!

OLG

20 hours ago, bgavin said:

Just curious, does anybody own or have experience with this Kirkpatrick LH-09 / PS2 rig?

I understand this rig was developed with Long Hunter and incorporates a number of technical advantages.

Yes

I started with LH04 double strong side, added a cross draw at some point, moved to a double muzzle forward LH09 in double strong side and bought a muzzle forward cross draw for it as well. Never really got the hang of the cross draw in either version. The ‘09 has adjustable tension to retain the pistol that I never did get to my liking so I went back to the ‘04. The ‘09 retains its shape better, but I do the tennis ball thing in the ‘04 once in a while which helps. My shotgun belt is called a PS1 I think and incorporates a bullet slide in front which was useful when a lot of clubs had reloads as part of the stage on a more regular basis. Mine is going on 10 years old and still works fine.

i recently bought a Mernickle rig with a bit more drop to the holsters that I am taking to the range today (long arms) to see how that works.

All the best

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Kirkpatrick is offering a 20% discount for online orders between now and July 14 when the offer expires.

The coupon code is "July2019"

13 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Kirkpatrick is offering a 20% discount for online orders between now and July 14 when the offer expires.

The coupon code is "July2019"

Does it start today? Says good while on vacation from

July  5th-14th

They are closed for July 4 anyway.
I need to measure first, then order tomorrow.
We are doing fireworks stuff today.

IMO, 20% off is a substantial deal on a $600+ rig.

2 minutes ago, bgavin said:

They are closed for July 4 anyway.
I need to measure first, then order tomorrow.
We are doing fireworks stuff today.

IMO, 20% off is a substantial deal on a $600+ rig.

I just didn't want anyone to order online today and the discount not work.

It's a good enough discount that I'm thinking about ordering myowndangself and don't really need another rig.

I truly doubt they would turn down your order if placed today.

However, the difference of a few hours is nothing to fret over.
It's not like buying the very last copy of an out-of-production  gun (like I did yesterday), and they hang a Sold Out sign on the page.

Their crew is off until July 14 or so.
I figure they are lining up orders so they will have work when they come back from vacation.

Just another thought - wear your belt with the buckle in back. That way you can move your holsters however you want them. It might be a little more difficult if you have bullet loops on the belt but still do-able. I have done this for the last 6 or 7 years and works well for me. My spare bullets reside on my shotgun belt and, for me, are easier to get to when needed. Just my $.02 worth

Glad to hear it.

A shooter gave me a tip on McCandless' FB page:  drop the pouch count from 7 pairs to 5, so the outer two don't interfere with your draw.

The top picture is a Ranger belt. Comfortable to wear but as stated, painful to bend over. You really need to go see a ranger belt and notice how many layers of leather are needed to buckle up.  It may be a problem getting a holster up in front of your hips.

The tapered belt, made properly, is lighter, more than enough support, and can be configured to wear holsters appendix style. Heck, I know a guy who makes a double buckle belt.

IMG_0202.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG

On 6/25/2019 at 6:42 AM, bgavin said:

Kirkpatrick states their LH09 rig is SASS compliant.

I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but if you are considering B Western then you will need a drop holster; one that places the grips below the top of the belt. Kirkpatrick has a few I am sure.

I have leather from Kirkpatrick, Mernickle, El Paso Saddlery, and Tombstone, as well as quite a few small or no name makers. I like them all for various reasons. I feel like Mernickle makes the most competitive minded gear, or at least is used by most of those around these parts. I prefer the old western look of Kirkpatrick and El Paso, while Nick at Tombstone is my favorite to work with. He can do just about anything.

For taper or full, I prefer a full belt most of the time, but I like the taper when I am wearing two belts crossing, as it lets it hang down a little more. The full belt suede John Wayne style from El Paso is by far the most comfortable.

This morning I ordered from Ted Blocker.
I got the Drifter double rig, drop holsters, two strong side
My bride got the Dixie Bell double rig.

I doubt either of us have any inclination to do formal B-Western.
We just want to shoot and participate.

I have a Tombstone belt from many years back.. when I was thinner and could buckle it ;)
It is mint condition, so I will hang it up for sale.
Quality work.

Delivery time is 8~10 weeks.

There seems to be some hang-up with the conchos for my wife's Dixie Bell order.
What is advertised on the web site, is apparently not what is configured, or priced.
There is some mumbling about "this will cost more", etc. 

This does not sit well with me... not at all.
If it does not work out to my satisfaction, I will cancel the entire order and go elsewhere.

As it stands today, I will give them the benefit of the doubt.
I'm easy to work with, but I will not be bait-and-switched.

Archived