SASS Wire Forum

What's going on with the NRA?

Ramblin Gambler

I know basically what the news reports are saying, and it looks bad for Wayne LaPierre.  But I want to know what people think who are not anti-gun NRA haters.  I'm torn between thinking Wayne needs to step down for the good of the NRA, and it being 100% a hit job.  It strikes me how trivial and salacious the charges are.  Sure it seems like a lot of money, but I'm not seeing a time frame.  If we're talking over the course of his career, that's a lot different than it being during one year.  And then there's the sorority girl intern who got an apartment.  As if it was important she was a sorority girl.  Obviously they are trying to imply an affair without saying something that they could be held liable for.  Until Chris Cox got caught up in it, I was leaning towards hit job. 

And the second question is, if the NRA falls, who's most likely to pick up the flag?  After them, all I know about are state specific organizations. 

So what do you guys think?  I need to hear from others who support the 2nd amendment. 

My thoughts are running along with yours RG. Seems execs. making way too much money sometimes think they are above the law. If true I would not be exactly shocked, but sure hope they are on the level. I still send support occasionally throughout the year. I also think we are relatively screwed if they go under.

I think that the NRA will survive.  

I also support and contribute to the Second Amendment Foundation and Gun Owners of America! 

Each of these organizations has successfully represented and litigated on behalf of gun owners and gun ownership.

I also call and write to my representatives at EVERY level, repeatedly!! I speak in person to those who are in positions locally!

While these national organizations make a big, and certainly powerful impression on legislatures, elected administrators, AND the media, voter activism and true grassroots support of the Constitution is what will win the day when the polls are again opened.

Apathy and infighting are what can defeat us. By all means, continue to support those organizations that seek to protect our rights, BUT do your part in concert with them!!!

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I think that the NRA will survive.  

I also support and contribute to the Second Amendment Foundation and Gun Owners of America! 

Each of these organizations has successfully represented and litigated on behalf of gun owners and gun ownership.

I also call and write to my representatives at EVERY level, repeatedly!! I speak in person to those who are in positions locally!

While these national organizations make a big, and certainly powerful impression on legislatures, elected administrators, AND the media, voter activism and true grassroots support of the Constitution is what will win the day when the polls are again opened.

Apathy and infighting are what can defeat us. By all means, continue to support those organizations that seek to protect our rights, BUT do your part in concert with them!!!

+100

Remember we are the NRA as long as we keep letting our elected officials know where we stand and back it up at the ballot box they will pay attention.

My understanding is that this was in the past.  Also that the expenditures were in part recommendations that were made for them to by an outside firm which required his approval as Exec VP.  They no-longer use that company and haven't for some time upon recommendation of the board of directors after they had them audited.  There was an individual trying to exert a perceived power that they did not have and when that didn't work they went to the media with old stories about topics that had been dealt internally and resolved.  The MSM being anti-gun were only to happy to blow it out of proportion in the hopes of creating apathy and infighting among the rank and file members.  I personally won't give them the satisfaction.  Understand that if he did not have the support of the board of directors who we elect as well as the past presidents he would not be in the position.  Also regarding the individual trying to exert a perceived power, they have sown discord in the past with some other organizations they were associated with and quietly let go from them.

Remember the old adage - "Believe nothing of what you hear and half or less of what you see" - This especially holds true with the MSM pushing their agenda: it's all about ratings which is money for them from advertisers and political action groups.  To those individuals, anything that is anti-gun boost their ratings with their base viewers therefore also increases their revenue.

MHO is to follow the money - their's; because the money issue with the NRA was put to rest a long time ago and as with NRA traditions there was a notice to members at that time. They have again issued a notice in the form of a letter which I have previously posted but will insert it again below:

image.png

image.png

image.png

Charlie

Like 2/3rd of defined pension plans, the NRA's is (or was unless they added money in the last few months) underfunded. 

Their past relationship with Ackerman McQueen sure makes it look like a whole of mutual back-scratching was going on, which involved LaPierre and perks his wife received while working for Ackerman McQueen. 

Not a fan of the infighting. Whether LaPierre has been living high on the hog or not is not as big of a concern as the fact that all of this infighting is a major distraction from doing the job. Many very good people would have stepped down already because the distractions and infighting are not good for the whole. 

4 hours ago, Charlie T Waite said:

Also regarding the individual trying to exert a perceived power, they have sown discord in the past with some other organizations they were associated with and quietly let go from them.

Who was the individual?  Was it Ollie North or was it someone in the background most of us wouldn't recognize? 

21 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Who was the individual?  Was it Ollie North or was it someone in the background most of us wouldn't recognize? 

This was previously addressed in the thread Oliver North OUT!! By Rye Miles #13621, April 27 in TEAM SASS.

Archived