SASS Wire Forum

Lee Precision TL 358-158- round nose, Opinions?

Since I am sitting on a couple thousand pounds of lead I have collected, I am considering a way to produce mass quantities of bullets with the least amount of time involved.  This Lee TL 358-158 Round nose tumble lube bullet looks like it would feed great in my marlin rifle and it would be easy to lube with the 45-45-10 tumble lube method.  With 6 cavity molds I could make lots of bullets in a short amount of time and forego the sizing process.  Does anyone on the wire use these bullets and how do you like them?  I am thinking the RN design and low velocities of CAS loads they would be perfectly safe in a rifle.

Sounds logical to me.  Altho, I make 125 and 158 rnfp.        GW

Yes, it will work. I used them lubed with Alox for a while. I much prefer the Lee 125 grain RNFP, also lubed with liquid Alox. Heat up the Alox and it spreads on real thin and even. I bet I get almost 10000 bullets lubed from one small bottle.

I also switched to the Lee Factory Crimp Die for all my SASS loadings. I cast every bullet we shoot and this helps with the occasional fat bullet.

Round Nose in a Rifle.  Tube Magazine Rifle.  There are those who have done it and gotten away with it.  There are those who have done it with disastrous results.  I am personally acquainted with two whom had disastrous results.  You pays your money and takes your chances.

"Perfectly Safe in a Rifle" ....... No

Your call ..... We are a Lighthouse.

That 158 grain bullet is heavy compared to what most folks in SASS shoot from .38 rifles and pistols.  If you like recoil and a heavy bullet, fine.  Otherwise, drop down to at least the 125 grain bullet.  

What ever you decide, don't cast ALL your lead into one design, UNTIL YOU HAVE SHOT SOME SAMPLES OF THAT BULLET (and lube, and load you think will work).  Test in ALL your rifles and revolvers for any possible problem, and to see if YOU really like shooting them.  It is very sad to have a thousand pounds of lead cast up, and THEN you find you don't like the bullet.

Good luck, GJ

Archived