SASS Wire Forum

The NRA

Pat Riot

On 6/25/2019 at 5:33 AM, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

When you have 2.5 million gun owners in Illinois and only get a response from a fraction of that number, that is disturbing. All the stuff that we ignore, the other side does. And now they control the Illinois legislature and the Governor's office.

What will it take to get our silent gun owners to speak up?

While it is all well and good to support the NRA, GOA, SAF, and other pro-civil rights groups, it doesn't take away the PERSONAL responsibility to call, write, and email your elected representatives.

9 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I'm really surprised at Hickock! Sounds like maybe he's trying to C-H-A as far as Youtube and facebook go while at the same time not alienating his fans! 

This sounds like most likely. 

For me the fact that Hickok45 would take this step is symptomatic of the depth of the internal problems at the NRA. I pray that all the infighting and ranker will end soon and the NRA will re-emerge a stronger and more focused advocate for the Second Amendment.   

42 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

While it is all well and good to support the NRA, GOA, SAF, and other pro-civil rights groups, it doesn't take away the PERSONAL responsibility to call, write, and email your elected representatives.

Or the personal responsibility to elect pro 2nd officials. I doesn't end with the Senate, House, State or POTUS. It has to include local elections too.....city/county councilmen, judges, school board and a lot more. Not all Republicans are pro nor are all Democrats anti (most but not all). Granted, doing research on some of the lower elected officials may be difficult but it's not impossible.

I haven't given up on the NRA, but that doesn't mean that I'm not frustrated with them...I am. The NRA will sort things out and remain the ones who defend our rights as they have for many decades, it may take a little time though. The truth is though, it all starts with you.

CS

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Or the personal responsibility to elect pro 2nd officials. I doesn't end with the Senate, House, State or POTUS. It has to include local elections too.....city/county councilmen, judges, school board and a lot more. Not all Republicans are pro nor are all Democrats anti (most but not all). Granted, doing research on some of the lower elected officials may be difficult but it's not impossible.

Yep.  Be aware of all levels of government.  Due diligence is the phrase. 

I was a member for a number of years. I got tired of phones every week asking for money to support some emergency threat to our gun rights. I told them to take my name off their list of calls. Didn't happen. I wonder how much money is spent sending out requests for money to fund yet another emergency threat to our rights? After repeated requests to stop calling and them not doing that I dropped my membership. Do we need the NRA? Absolutely. Maybe they should make a more concerted effort to educate the general public about who NRA members are and what we represent?

Ike

A lot of conjecture and innuendo in the Times report!!  Still...  there is some smoke!!

Received this Today

Jun 26 at 1:57 PM

mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fgraphics.nra.org%2

Dear NRA Instructor,

As many of you may know, we have been evaluating if our investment in NRATV is generating the benefits needed. This consideration included the return on investment and the cost and the direction of the content. Many members expressed concern about the messaging on NRATV becoming too far removed from our core mission: defending the Second Amendment.

So, after careful consideration, I am announcing that starting today, we are undergoing a significant change in our communications strategy. We are no longer airing “live TV” programming. Whether and when we return to “live” programming is a subject of ongoing analysis.

The NRA will continue and improve our service on social media channels and our flagship website, www.nra.org – your trusted resource of information. Our many web sites will continue to showcase new and archived videos, as we reorganize much of this information in a way that better serves our key audiences.

What necessitated the change now is our conclusion that our longtime advertising firm and website vendor failed to deliver upon many contractual obligations it made to our Association.  The NRA will always hold our vendors to high standards and ask that they maximize their value to the Association. No exceptions. 

Looking ahead, you can expect great things from your NRA. We will energize our messaging strategy, become more cost efficient, and promote the NRA’s singular focus like never before.  Simply put, our messaging strategy will advance the NRA’s core mission: to serve our members and fight for our Second Amendment.  

– Wayne

It doesn't seem to matter whether it's government, corporations, non-profits; whatever-- they always put out these anodyne spin pieces instead of just telling it like it is in plain language.

But I sure feel better that all will be well and that we "can expect great things"!

As I have said before, I have supported the NRA and expect to continue to make contributions when management improves.

I don’t think the Second Amendment needs the NRA quite as much as the NRA would have us believe.  If our most basic rights depend on a political action committee for their continued existence, then the Constitution really doesn’t mean anything at all.

Civil disobedience is deeply ingrained in Americans.  If confiscatory laws are eventually passed, compliance would probably be very low.  Hopefully the noncompliance could be resolved peacefully. But I have faith in American gun owners to preserve their heritage, whatever it takes.

I honestly believe that if there were no NRA or any other strong organization that lobbies for our rights that within 10 years we’d have no 2nd Amendment rights and Americans would have to put up or shut up in regards to our Constitutional Rights. By that I mean fight our government.

Politicians need to be kept in check, I don’t care what party they are a part of. As far as I am concerned they are all corrupt or can be corrupted. Lobbying groups like the NRA keep these weak individuals in check. Often by keeping them in checks (money, bribes, donations, etc.)

I hate the fact that our government system needs lobbyists but it’s the reality of today and wishing it would end won’t end it.

Does anyone truly believe that there is another Pro Gun organization out there that has the juice of the NRA? If so I would like to hear about it.

The Second Amendment Foundation

Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership

Gun Owners of America

National Association for Gun Rights

Constitutional Rights PAC

National Association for Gun Rights

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

None of the above has the juice or influence of the NRA...probably not even if they were combined...and getting them to work together? HA! That would be a laugh. Ain’t happening unless there’s a civil war.

my 2 cents

I belong to the Second Amendment Foundation, Gun Owners of America, CCRKBA, Ohio Rifle and Pistol Assoc., Gun Owners of Ohio and Ohioans for Concealed Carry. I don't send a lot of money just the dues to most except the NRA, I'm a Life Member and I still give when I can especially to NRA/ILA.

I often get those postcards to send to my stupid reps and send a donation to at least cover their printing efforts.;)

Right or wrong it’s time for Wayne to resign. His credibility is gone. It’s time for new leadership to get the organization back on track and regain the trust of the members 

12 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Right or wrong it’s time for Wayne to resign. His credibility is gone. It’s time for new leadership to get the organization back on track and regain the trust of the members 

I agreed with you a couple weeks ago.  But after learning more it really does sound like it's a hit job through and through.  The only thing I'm not seeing yet is the motive, unless it's just some deep anti-gun pockets doling out a lot of money. 

On 6/26/2019 at 12:02 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I'm really surprised at Hickock! Sounds like maybe he's trying to C-H-A as far as Youtube and facebook go while at the same time not alienating his fans! 

Wasn't he already demonitized on youtube though?  What's left to cover? 

There seems like there was never any trouble at the NRA until Ollie North stepped in, did he start it or did he uncover something? Just wondering here!

39 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

There seems like there was never any trouble at the NRA until Ollie North stepped in, did he start it or did he uncover something? Just wondering here!

Read up on Ollie's history-You'll then know the answer.

That's all I'm going to say on this.

OLG

42 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Read up on Ollie's history-You'll then know the answer.

That's all I'm going to say on this.

OLG

Ya mean this? 

North is primarily remembered for his term as a National Security Council staff member during the Iran-Contra affair, a political scandal of the late 1980s. The scandal involved the illegal sale of weapons to Iran to encourage the release of U.S. hostages then held in Lebanon. North formulated the second part of the plan, which was to divert proceeds from the arms sales to support the Contra rebel groups in Nicaragua, which had been specifically prohibited under the Boland Amendment. North was granted limited immunity from prosecution in exchange for testifying before Congress about the scheme.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Ya mean this? 

North is primarily remembered for his term as a National Security Council staff member during the Iran-Contra affair, a political scandal of the late 1980s. The scandal involved the illegal sale of weapons to Iran to encourage the release of U.S. hostages then held in Lebanon. North formulated the second part of the plan, which was to divert proceeds from the arms sales to support the Contra rebel groups in Nicaragua, which had been specifically prohibited under the Boland Amendment. North was granted limited immunity from prosecution in exchange for testifying before Congress about the scheme.

Remember Fawn Hall, I sure do :wub:

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Well the NRA had better get its ducks in a row by this time next year. Most of the Democratic presidential candidates are talking about a total ban on semi-autos and mandatory buy-backs paid for with our own money.

“Buy Backs”...

They cannot buy back something they never sold me. 

I am wondering, since “they” would be buying back my guns that were not purchased in Washington DC wouldn’t they be in violation of certain BATFE regulations not to mention Interstate Commerce regulations?...

On 6/28/2019 at 3:22 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am wondering, since “they” would be buying back my guns that were not purchased in Washington DC wouldn’t they be in violation of certain BATFE regulations not to mention Interstate Commerce regulations?...

Since when did any politician consider any law currently on the books before opening his/her mouth in the effort to garner support and/or votes to get/keep legislative power in the last 20 or so years?

On 6/29/2019 at 2:22 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am wondering, since “they” would be buying back my guns that were not purchased in Washington DC wouldn’t they be in violation of certain BATFE regulations not to mention Interstate Commerce regulations?...

I remember when I believed a politician would be held accountable to the same standards as us common folk.

Archived