SASS Wire Forum

300 sav load

I'll post this on the wire too.

I've been trying out some new loads for the 300 sav to get ready for a cow elk hunt this fall. The best load I tried out today was RL 15 @ 42gr with a Barnes TSX 168. Problem is I can't find where I came up with that load and I have checked all my usual sources. Anybody seen this load somewhere?

Charlie, what rifle are you shooting those copper sausages out of?

My experience has been that the longer solid copper bullets can be difficult to stabilize; specifically, .250 Savage and .300 Savage (both fired from Savage Model 20 rifles).  Using multiple loads, groups went below 1 1/2" with lead core bullets at 100 yards to three to six inches at best with the coppers.  Twist just too slow out of those 90+ year old barrels.  

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

My Lyman manual list RX15 for 150 and 180 gr bullets. 

Did the data data come from Barns?  

Thats the issue - I can't find where I got the data. I looked at Barnes and Alliant reload data and it isn't there. What charge and velocity does your manual show for the 150 and 180 gr?

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Charlie, what rifle are you shooting those copper sausages out of?

My experience has been that the longer solid copper bullets can be difficult to stabilize; specifically, .250 Savage and .300 Savage (both fired from Savage Model 20 rifles).  Using multiple loads, groups went below 1 1/2" with lead core bullets at 100 yards to three to six inches at best with the coppers.  Twist just too slow out of those 90+ year old barrels.  

I'm shooting them out of a 99. The group wasn't bad considering the circumstances.

Good choice!  :)

Curious, though ~ are lead-free bullets required where you're hunting?

31 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Good choice!  :)

Curious, though ~ are lead-free bullets required where you're hunting?

No, but I tried sierra,Hornady, Nosler and Speer too but got the best group with this load of Barnes.

Ha!  I am impressed!

Since I'm in "Gotta-Have-Copper-California" I'd like to try your recipe in my .300 Model 20 - which uses the same barrel as the 99's of the same period.  :)

Good luck to you on your hunt!  ^_^

7 hours ago, Charlie Plasters, SASS#60943 said:

Thats the issue - I can't find where I got the data. I looked at Barnes and Alliant reload data and it isn't there. What charge and velocity does your manual show for the 150 and 180 gr?

Keep in mind that the Barns bullet has a different OAL than a traditional bullet so there may be less case volume which would likely cause case pressures to increase.

Lyman 50th ed

image.jpg

image.jpg

Archived