SASS Wire Forum

Scotch drinkers: The Macallan

Utah Bob #35998

So I’ve seen a couple of reviews saying that the 12 year Double Cask does not benefit from a few drops of water. I’m not sure 

I agree.

I reckon I’m slow headed, but I just can’t imagine how 2 drops of water in an ounce or so if whisky could possibly make a difference.  Not arguing with those who say it does, just above my level of thought process.

For purely scientific purposes I did buy one of those little bitty bottles of some Glenlivit 12 and will soon do a somewhat scientific test.

3 hours ago, Pulp, SASS#28319 said:

I reckon I’m slow headed, but I just can’t imagine how 2 drops of water in an ounce or so if whisky could possibly make a difference.  Not arguing with those who say it does, just above my level of thought process.

For purely scientific purposes I did buy one of those little bitty bottles of some Glenlivit 12 and will soon do a somewhat scientific test.

Agree about the amount. I believe one man’s drop might be another man’s splash. :lol:

19 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

I saw a bass on a bicycle just the other day. 

Then you had way too much Scotch.

Shortcake wants to drink scotch because Cary Grant did (anything Cary did was perfect in her world).

The first sip makes her run for a light beer to wash it down.

That's fine. More for me!!

21 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

My nickels worth is that yes a a few drops or a splash of spring, not tap water,  releases hidden aromas and flavors.

It depends on the spring.  I remember the spring water at a ranch/weekend & summer home of one of my mothers high school girlfreinds would ruin any beverage except tomato juice.  The place was up in the hills east of the Valley of the Moon (Sonoma County CA).  The area is very geothermal & while the spring water didn't smell of hydrogen sulfied it had very high levels of iron.

Our tap water is snowmelt from the mountains. And it's delicious.

A few drops opens the flavor for sure. If anyone disagrees, they can give the unused portion to me...and I will drink it :D

Archived