SASS Wire Forum

Google Chrome.

Sedalia Dave

On 6/21/2019 at 6:40 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

I switched to DuckDuckGo a couple of years ago when they fired engineer James Denmore for questioning the Co's political & social philosophies on the Co's internal discussion forum.  I immediately noticed that all the popup adds disappeared.

46 minutes ago, JD Trampas, SASS # 55781 said:

I have google chrome also, I seen where you can add duckduckgo to chrome, is that what you did and just all by itself

All for now JD Trampas

That only solves a small part of the problem The Chrome browser is still collecting huge amounts of personal data in the background. Mozila Firefox has much better privacy settings by default.

. If you want better online privacy switch to Firefox and use DuckDuckGo as the search engine.

I have avoided Chrome like the plague, I use Firefox and Duckduckgo. I read that article last night, it reinforced my opinion of what Google has become... a very dangerous company. I regret any support I have given them over the years

This came up a bit ago. I generally use Brave as a browser with DuckDuckGo as the search engine. Brave was developed by engineers that left Mozilla (builders of Firefox and Thunderbird) if I remember correctly. Brave has built in ad blockers that some sites do not like, but if I really want to go to those few, I will switch to Firefox  and still use DuckDuckGo. Google, and Facebook among other companies are a threat to freedom and specifically, the upcoming election. I'm also very concerned with my personal data and don't like the way they are mining data and exploiting their customers.

I did an experiment a while back with Google and Google Chrome. I did this for many days. 

I did searches on guns and motorcycles one day. The next I did searches on issues regarding race equity, civil rights and various subjects regarding social consciousness. The next day it was back to guns and motorcycles and so on.

Within a few days all of the news feeds that Google “selects for you” regarding guns and motorcycles were negative articles about motorcycles and guns. As if someone or an algorithm had determined I was a candidate for manipulation. The motorcycle articles were solely about crashes and deaths on bikes. The firearm articles were very pro gun control and stories about law breakers and killers using guns.

Typically, before the test,  I would see a few negative articles, believe it or not, more negative articles regarding motorcycle crashes and injuries vs negative articles about guns.

After my back and forth test it was as if someone turned on a leftist spigot of propaganda. 

Now here’s the really funny part. I stopped using Google for a week, except for some tool searches for work. Yesterday and today I went back on Google and I had a dozen news feeds. 10 were what I consider positive towards guns. No motorcycle articles at all 1 was about Milwaukee tools, which I had been researching at work but the one that really surprised me was this news feed:

https://www.projectveritas.com/video/insider-blows-whistle-exec-reveals-google-plan-to-prevent-trump-situation-in-2020-on-hidden-cam/

A story about Google working to manipulate the next presidential election.

Weird.

Archived