SASS Wire Forum

Ford Museum

Subdeacon Joe

Howdy,

Not if we had that generation chemicals.

My Dad told about draining the coolant every night and

refilling every morning to keep from cracking the block.

And I bet those brakes would scare the daylights out of you.

Howsomeever the question is moot.

Best

CR

4 hours ago, Joke 'um said:

If we woke up tomorrow morning to find all our cars, SUVs and pickups had been replaced with Model T's, it would be a better world.

No thanks, I think I'll keep my ac, decent shocks, safety equipment, stereo system, good tires/brakes, power steering and (somewhat) comfortable seats. It would be MUCH simpler to maintain and work on though.....which is what I liked about the pre-1970 vehicles. 

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

It would be MUCH simpler to maintain and work on though.....which is what I liked about the pre-1970 vehicles. 

It's a good thing the pre-1970 vehicles were easy to work on, considering I had to do it probably twice a month. There was always something popping at an inopportune moment.

5 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Yours is missing a few pieces. B)

Most of them are on the shelf or in the machine shop!!  348 Chevy engine and a 700R4 tranny with a '61 olds rear end and a Corvair steering box.  Gonna' build a late '50s/early '60s retro street rod.  I figure about two years when I get around to this project.

If you ever have a chance to visit the Henry Ford and Greenfield Village, it is absolutely a must see.

On 6/21/2019 at 9:42 AM, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Not if we had that generation chemicals.

My Dad told about draining the coolant every night and

refilling every morning to keep from cracking the block.

And I bet those brakes would scare the daylights out of you.

Howsomeever the question is moot.

Best

CR

When I was a kid we had a neighbor man that used to drive trucks back in the days of mechanical brakes.  He claimed that when you stepped on the brakes, they would go faster:lol:.

We went to the Henry Ford Museum for our honeymoon trip.

I stood in awe of the Big Boy locomotive, and wished mightily I might see him restored.

A Big Boy is now restored and under steam, but he's out West -- add one to my bucket list! -- but yes, the Henry Ford Museum is most worthwhile!

I have owned two Model T's and two Model A's all with mechanical brakes. I drove my 1930 Model A Coupe up Pikes Peak highway and still have cramps in my fingers going back down.   Yes I did use  the emergency brake more than the mechanical brakes going back. Old cars are fun but unless you are driving a 16 cylinder Cadillac not very comfortable. The picture is my 1933 Dodge Brothers sedan which is equipped with hydraulic brakes. The other picture is my 1950 John Deer Model MT which takes three men and a boy to stop. DC

20151110_154822.jpg

20161104_083801.jpg

Knew a guy way back when that restored old tractors. Whenever he was in a parade or other event he would have a small period correct mouldboard plough attached. When asked why he simply replied emergency brake.

On 6/22/2019 at 11:22 PM, Sarge said:

If you ever have a chance to visit the Henry Ford and Greenfield Village, it is absolutely a must see.

The Wife and I went there many moons ago including Greenfield Village next door. It took three days and one of the best vacations we have taken. Highly recommended.

Archived