SASS Wire Forum

Newby!

sourdoughjim

Hello!

I just joined today (can't find a Welcome section) but it is because a good friend of mine is on this Forum site and welcomed me to join. I am 67 and don't do any CAS shooting, but I am very much into replica Colt 1851 Navy revolvers. I have 8 Pietta 1851 Navy "type" .36 revolvers, to include a L&R, R&A, 2nd Model Squareback, 4th Model, Augusta Machine Works, Columbus Firearms Manufacturing Company, G&G, and S&G, plus a 1851 Navy belt size Dragoon (fantasy).  Pietta only marketed 3 of those; I created the rest by parts swapping. I figured I could learn much about your folks' craft, and education is a good thing.

I will lurk until I get comfortable with the site layout.

This is my Pietta 1851 Navy .36 Dragoon (fantasy gun):

Pietta-1851-Navy-Dragoon.jpg

Thanks for allowing me into this site!

For now,

Regards,

Jim

Thanks, Captain! At my age and with my health problems I rarely shoot them, and it is primarily to get my nostrils full of BP smoke for nostalgia. My doctor would probably have a comeapart with that! I primarily collect replicas and try to make them as close to originals as I can without defarbing/antiquing them. 

I am beginning to delve into replica 1860 Army pistols. I have an Armi San Marco 1993 (date code [BC]) that originally came with a round engraved cylinder, but I found, with much researching dimensions, that an Uberti full-fluted cylinder fits like a glove. I use Charles Pate's Colt 1860 Army book as a very good guide.

Jim

ASM-1860-Army-Fluted-Cylinder-007.jpg

Welcome! I bet it wont be long before you start shootin in some matches. That's where the fun is. You don't have to be fast or accurate, or even purdy for that matter. Get out there and have a little fun. You'll be glad you did.

Take care,

Tennessee W

Welcome Jim!

Where are you located? I really recommend going to a match and seeing how the cap n ball guys can run them things. You'll really have a great time.

Slim

Welcome to the fire, hoss!

Swapping parts on capguns is a lot of fun - I have the same affliction!  

. . . those things are like Barbie for men!

Keep your powder dry,

Wild Ben. 

Welcome aboard Jim! Glad you made it!

Great bunch of folks here. I hope you take the advice and go watch a match. You'll be hooked! 

Archived