SASS Wire Forum

miroku/winchester 73 safety spring

I bought a used 73 that is almost like new but the owner said he had profiled some spring so obviously it had been opened up. The problem is that the safety spring system isn't working - it has no tension on the little protrusion. Removing the stock and looking in it appears that there is a little groove where the small hook end of the spring wants to ride but putting it there doesn't help. I should say that the main spring was removed. Anyway is this the correct location for the spring end? or is the spring damaged? My eyes may not be good enough to have accurately placed it but I think I have it in that groove.

There is a small coil spring with two arms one facing forward that presses on the trigger Safety lever.... and one facing back.

As of now I'm not aware of anyone making a lighter spring for the lever/ trigger safety.......

So.............. what most Smiths and wannabees are doing is simply bending that spring to relieve tension on the trigger safety.

But.... Its very easy to bend the spring too much, which results in the safety bar flopping up and down with zero tension.

And the spring is sort of a pita to get in & out....

But to get the tension on the Safety to the point where it needs to be, you've got to pull the spring back out

and keep bending it very slightly until it feels Right............. Good Luck!!!

I'd also recommend while you're in there...

Shorten the downward facing part of the Safety so that it releases the Trigger sooner..... 

Archived