SASS Wire Forum

.45-70 reloading question

C. W. Knight # 47289L

I an just starting to reload for a Uberti 1886 rifle.  My loading manual list several loads for this rifle using smokless powders.  Several loads require a "100% Polyester fiber wad in the form of 1/4" thick batting.  It goes on to say that the Poly fiber should be cut into 5/8" squares".  I am guessing that this wadding is tamped down on top of the powder to hold it next to the primer.  Is this the reason for this or......?  Where do I find something like this or what do other more experienced shooters do ? Besides fill the case with Black and stuff a bullet in it:).  Thanks in advance.  C.W.  :FlagAm:

Some loads require a polyester wad, as you describe (basically a filler), and I used to use them, but I switched powders and loads that didn't require them.  Polyester batting can be had in craft stores, such as Michaels.  A possible issue with them is that you have to make sure that the wad is completely out as it can attract moisture and start rusting the bore. 

Try 14.2 Unique with a 330-405 grn bullet. No filler or wad needed. 

Thanks to all that have replied.  My manual is dated I am sure.  Lyman 47th, edition, this manual shows using the aforementioned wad for starting and max loads for Unique powder for 322 gr, 420 gr, & 293 gr bullets.  Not for start or max loads for 400 gr lead bullets.  I will check with Michael's for the material, my wife frequents them.  This is a very low volume adventure but I do appreciate all the help.  C.W.  :FlagAm:

I have the same book-The new Lyman manual dropped the filler suggestion, and no loading manual today suggests it.

DON'T USE ANY FILLER :excl::excl:

Just use a very firm roll-crimp with the Unique powder loads, and you should be fine.

OLG

I am with OLG on filler. DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT USE A POLYSTER FILLER. BEST WAY I KNOW TO DESTROY YOUR NEW RIFLE! Fillers were recommended in the old Lyman manuals, I have the 49th and 50th editions.  Same loads listed but WITHOUT the polyster filler.

I'm going to play Capt. Obvious:  The filler is used for BP and BP Subs to eliminate any space between the powder and bullet.  Especially important for Cowboy Action where reduced loads are common, BP needs to be compressed since it's explosive, and compression gives a better burn and greater accuracy.  Modern smokeless powder does not have the same requirement, in other words an air gap in the round won't effect the powder burn.  With smokeless load by weight and don't worry about air spaces.  With BP and (most) subs load by volume and if needed use a filler to avoid air space. 

I'll preface this by saying that, with newer powders and loading data, it is probably best NOT to use fillers over smokeless powder loads in the .45-70.

Having said that and with the standard disclaimer that I cannot be responsible for the use of the following data in guns other than my own, and possibly not even those, let me say that my standard low-pressure load for .45-70 is 28.0 gr. IMR4198 + 1/4 square of Scot's single-ply toilet paper poked loosely into the case, allowing the bullet to provide whatever compression.  With the Lyman #457124, cast from #2 equivalent (wheelweights plus 50/50 bar solder), weighing 395gr., fired from a M1886 Winchester with 20" heavy barrel, I averaged 1269 ft/sec, with a maximum pressure of 14,900 psi, as measured with an Oehler Personal Ballistics Lab.  The pressure/time curves were very smooth and consistent.  With a commercially-cast #457193, weighing 393gr, MV= 1322 ft/sec with an average peak pressure of 19,600 psi.  Again, the pressure/time curves were smooth.  NOTE: These measurements are in psi (lbs/sq.in), NOT CUP!  I experienced no barrel ringing.

With 300 gr. Hornady JHP and a charge of 40.5 gr IMR 4198 but NO toilet paper, I recorded 1662 ft/sec with an average pressure of 20,000 psi..

As I said, this is for general information ONLY, and NOT TO BE THOUGHT OF AS RECOMMENDED data.

:)  Once again I really do appreciate all of the responses.  I am glad to hear that the later manuals do not recommend/require the poly wad.  In speaking with a friend that shot long range I am leaning toward IMR 4198 as the first powder that I will try.  I also have a large quantity of Unique.  IMR 4198 is shown for both Jacketed and lead bullets.  Thanks again I an totally on board with No fillers.  C-U, C.W.  :FlagAm:

18 hours ago, Bull Skinner said:

I am with OLG on filler. DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT USE A POLYSTER FILLER. BEST WAY I KNOW TO DESTROY YOUR NEW RIFLE! Fillers were recommended in the old Lyman manuals, I have the 49th and 50th editions.  Same loads listed but WITHOUT the polyster filler.

The loads listed in the 49th and 50th editions ARE NOT IDENTICAL to the same loads as the 47th ed. The minimum published load is different.
Perfect example is the 45-70 Trap Door load data using IMR4198 and a 405 gr. Cast LFP.
In the 47th ed the starting load is 25 grains with a dacron filler.
In the 50th ed the starting load 30 grains.
If you attempt to use the 25 grain load without the filler you stand a real possibility of ringing the chamber or worse as there is too much unused case volume for a charge that small.
Reloading manuals dropped load that required fillers as there is too great a possibility of them being inserted incorrectly which can cause damage to the firearm. When they did the the minimum starting loads were raised to the point where filler was no longer required in the older manuals.

35 minutes ago, C. W. Knight # 47289L said:

:)  Once again I really do appreciate all of the responses.  I am glad to hear that the later manuals do not recommend/require the poly wad.  In speaking with a friend that shot long range I am leaning toward IMR 4198 as the first powder that I will try.  I also have a large quantity of Unique.  IMR 4198 is shown for both Jacketed and lead bullets.  Thanks again I an totally on board with No fillers.  C-U, C.W.  :FlagAm:

Read my above post.

You cannot simply omit the filler from the loads listed in the 47th edition and assume all wil be well. You should really consider buying a more up to date manual.

Sedalia Dave,

You are right on the loads being different between Lyman editions, my mistake.

However my most accurate load of H4198 with a 300 grain cast bullet is 27 grains. Been shooting it since some time in the last century out of 3 rifles and a Contender pistol with no problems.

Archived