SASS Wire Forum

Question for fly fishermen (heads up BMC)

Going on vacay in Colorado in a couple weeks, looking to do some fishing. I have a backpacker's fly rod but haven't broke it out for 25 years or more. Does fly line crap out over time? Don't know if I should try to replace it before we leave or not. I'm not much shakes as a fly caster, but might want to give it a whirl if there's a place nearby. We'll be staying in Greely or somewhere close to there.

Thanks,

JHC

1 minute ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Going on vacay in Colorado in a couple weeks, looking to do some fishing. I have a backpacker's fly rod but haven't broke it out for 25 years or more. Does fly line crap out over time? Don't know if I should try to replace it before we leave or not. I'm not much shakes as a fly caster, but might want to give it a whirl if there's a place nearby. We'll be staying in Greely or somewhere close to there.

Thanks,

JHC

Well, depending on the line, they  do dry out and crack. Good news is to take it out and run it lightly through your hand to see

if it is smooth and free of cracks. If so, take it out on some water and see if it will float if it is designed to do so.  If it is a sinking line, I 

don't think it will matter much one way or the 'tother.  

Bad news is, have you seen the prices on new fly lines? 

If you decide to replace it, I suggest a floating line and visit a local fly shop to gather intel on what is working at that time of year. 

10 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Well, depending on the line, they  do dry out and crack. Good news is to take it out and run it lightly through your hand to see

if it is smooth and free of cracks. If so, take it out on some water and see if it will float if it is designed to do so.  If it is a sinking line, I 

don't think it will matter much one way or the 'tother.  

Bad news is, have you seen the prices on new fly lines? 

If you decide to replace it, I suggest a floating line and visit a local fly shop to gather intel on what is working at that time of year. 

Fly shops are kinda skeerce here in West Texas! I think it's a sinking line but not sure, I'm not much of a fly fisherman. Most of my experience was catching "perch" (sunfish) in our stock tank (pond) and trying not to get the line caught in the sunflowers and broom weeds behind me.  Usually had to roll cast. :P Thanks for the reply.

JHC

When you get to Colorado ask around about fly shops. They usually have a wealth of information. 

If you purchase nothing else, ask what flies are working and pick up 2 or 3, just as a courtesy. 

Good luck. 

Thanks. Never been to this place, may not be anyplace around to go. Most trout I ever caught was with an ultralight spinning rod. We went fishing once in a place called Blue Hole up above Bonita Lake near Ruidoso, NM. We bought all the pink salmon eggs and floating garlic cheese and all the stuff they're supposed to bite, no dice. My buddy came around with a tube of bacon squeeze cheese for lunch and we tried it. Only thing we found they'd bite, and actually caught a fair string.

JHC

2 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Thanks. Never been to this place, may not be anyplace around to go. Most trout I ever caught was with an ultralight spinning rod. We went fishing once in a place called Blue Hole up above Bonita Lake near Ruidoso, NM. We bought all the pink salmon eggs and floating garlic cheese and all the stuff they're supposed to bite, no dice. My buddy came around with a tube of bacon squeeze cheese for lunch and we tried it. Only thing we found they'd bite, and actually caught a fair string.

JHC

:lol: That is why the call it FISHING, not CATCHING.  

I have had a tad bit of experience in that not biting category. 

Nothing wrong with pan fish on a light fly rod. Fun to catch and good to eat. 

And God makes a lot of them sometimes. 

Greeley is an easy drive from several good streams.  The Platte and Big Thompson come out of the mountains just west of there. Not far from Rocky Mountain National Park near Estes Park, Colorado too.

...things my mom taught me about fly fishing:

Checking the line...  

• You feel micro-grit on the line as you strip it in
  • For floating line, the first 10 feet or few meters of line doesn't float any longer
  • The line retains coil memory
  • The line has small cracks
  • The line feels brittle  

Soaking

• Draw about a gallon or a few liters of hot water in a sink
  • Add just a few drops of mild dish soap. Don't overdo it! All you need is enough to make a few bubbles and help loosen debris. Too much soap will leave a film on the flyline which may help it sink. (not good for floating lines!)
  • Strip out all the flyline IN LOOSE coils in the sink, ensuring each coil lies on top of the previous. This will help prevent the line from knotting up as it is cleaned in the next step
  • Allow the line to soak until the water becomes luke-warm; about 15-30 minutes or so.

Stretching the line

• Stretching the line is an important step in cleaning it. Stretching the line once-in-awhile helps maintain its suppleness and prevent line coil memory.
  • Taking a clean, moistened rag in one hand, draw the flyline from the sink through
    the rag
  • Apply mild pressure with the hand holding the rag to ensure the line is being "stripped" of all the debris and dirt
  • You'll know if you have enough pressure by hearing the line "sqweek" through your hands
  • LOOSELY coil the line on the floor at your feet in preparation for dressing the line with conditioner and allowing the line to dry for a few moments
  • TIP: as you draw line through the rag, stretch each arm's-length section as you would a leader, to stratighten out the coils that have built up.
  •  
  • Dressing
  • Using the reel as a line winder makes applying line conditioner easier, but is not necessary.
  • Taking another dedicated rag used for applying line conditioner, soak the rag with conditioner
  • As the line is wound on the winder, apply the line conditioner in the same manner as the line is cleaned in the step above.
  • Don't be afraid to be generous with the line conditioner; it's the stuff that will help protect the line in future uses.

1 minute ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Greeley is an easy drive from several good streams.  The Platte and Big Thompson come out of the mountains just west of there. Not far from Rocky Mountain National Park near Estes, Colorado too.

We spent a week in Estes a few years ago, went to several gorgeous lakes, didn't try fishing. I don't know stream fishing at all, not many trout streams in my country. Thanks.

JHC

Been awhile...born in Pueblo, graduated from Boulder in ‘67, last fished there in 2002.   I don’t have advice from recent experience, except to agree with BMC on getting info locally.

5 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

We spent a week in Estes a few years ago, went to several gorgeous lakes, didn't try fishing. I don't know stream fishing at all, not many trout streams in my country. Thanks.

JHC

I think stream fishing is easier.  Shorter casts, fish don’t have as much time to criticize your offerings!  :D

5 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Greeley is an easy drive from several good streams.  The Platte and Big Thompson come out of the mountains just west of there. Not far from Rocky Mountain National Park near Estes Park, Colorado too.

See if I can get this pic to work. The place we stayed just outside of Estes Park Magnificent view of RMNP. Loved that place. I have an album on my Facebook page of photos from that area.

Regards,

JHC

Archived