SASS Wire Forum

BSS has mind of it"s own

G W Wade

My BSS does not WW factory shells.   Hoping the experts here will come thru again.  First stage, 2nd pair the action felt tight/    2nd stage. 2nd pair gun does not want to open.   After that it has to be opened over my knee.  Firing pins do not appear to be hanging up....    STS and my reloads  work great.    This morning tested again.   Shot 5 or 6 pairs perfectly, then it started to stick.  Barrels do not move at all. prior to proper application of knee.  Old stock light target and new LRLN. both give problems.   Need some ideas,  Thanks in advance           GW

58 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

I believe you already have a solution. Don't shoot Winchesters in that gun.

Yah, but hoping to find a WHY.    STS are getting hard to find some places and getting anything else to shuck can be a another problem.     GW

WW factory AA primers are soft. The firing pins indent too far and they get stuck in the primers. STS and WW reloadprimers work fine. I have one that is exactly the same. Just look at how deep the firing pins indent the primers. GW let me know if you need STS

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

When was the last time you removed the butt-stock and did a deep flush and clean of the action?

Make sure the screw in FP bushings are 'tite'.

OLG

It has done this from the get go.  Never shot before was given to Goatneck  and has been used for a little over a year.   Rarely use factory shells but due for important matches.   GW

1 hour ago, Medicine Creek Johnny said:

WW factory AA primers are soft. The firing pins indent too far and they get stuck in the primers. STS and WW reloadprimers work fine. I have one that is exactly the same. Just look at how deep the firing pins indent the primers. GW let me know if you need STS

Stop worrying about me and pay attention to what your supposed to be doing. Kicking a** at EOT.      GW

This sounds is the problem I had with my Wyatt Earp SxS and my '97 clone.

I had the chambers polished and honed etc, but the problem persisted.

I found it was the steel or aluminum brass washed bases of some makes of shotgun shells. The base seems to expand when fired.

After they cool a bit and shrink, out they come. 

I had to switch to Winchester AA 128 and AA 129 shells (White Carton and Black Boxes reads the note in my wallet) and NOT use Challenger or Super Target TRGT 127's etc.

The AA 128 and AA 129's are more expensive here for me, but make up for the increased cost with the reduction in frustration and hang-ups.

So OMG  In your opinion, am I pulling the trigger too hard or not hard enough.     GW

Which AA are you using?  I just bought a BSS this spring.  I have noted the hotter the load the harder it is to break open.  For instance, super handicap at 1280 FPS is hard to open.  Low noise low recoil or my BP loads work fine.  I did have a hard to open on the last stage of a two match shooting BP.   It rained that weekend so not for sure what the issue was.  I have also noted that if I try to push the lever over while I’m trying to open the action it can lock up and not open. It is hard to explain but have noticed it while dry firing.

On 6/19/2019 at 11:25 AM, G W Wade said:

Firing pins do not appear to be hanging up...

A, couple questions: 

1) How did you determine that the firing pins are not hanging up? 

2) Will the cocked  gun open freely with empty chambers or unfired rounds (careful testing that) ? (rule out firing pin drag) 

3) How about with chambers empty and dry fired? (rule out cocking problem) 

4). Is the gun internally clean? 

My bet is that your problem is either firing pins penetrating too deeply into primers and mechanically holding the breech closed,  or a problem in the cocking lifters.  Sometimes crud around the ends of lifters will make them hard to rotate within the scant available space.  

5) Is this a new, sudden onset problem? 

6)Have you changed ammunition or primers prior to observing the problem? 

7). Are the empty hulls loose in the chamber, or could they be dragging - - preventing the extractor from operating? 

8). Are you using cases with brass or steel heads? Steel heads very often over-expand and cause the problem in 7, above.  

On 6/19/2019 at 11:25 AM, G W Wade said:

Old stock light target and new LRLN. both give problems.   Need some ideas, 

The Winchester light target ammo has steel heads.  They almost always over-expand and stick in the chambers, which drag can prevent the extractors from moving to remove them freely. That will make breech opening very difficult at times. 

4 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

The Winchester light target ammo has steel heads.  They almost always over-expand and stick in the chambers, which drag can prevent the extractors from moving to remove them freely. That will make breech opening very difficult at times. 

This is old stock AA light target not the cheap cr#% they pedal left over from other shooting I did    GW

Just bring that old tomato stake to the Minnesota state. I might give you 50 bucks for it just so it won’t aggravate you anymore. I know those old binder mechanics can’t do much if it doesn’t involve a big hammer and a vise grips 

On 6/19/2019 at 2:25 PM, G W Wade said:

My BSS does not WW factory shells.   Hoping the experts here will come thru again.  First stage, 2nd pair the action felt tight/    2nd stage. 2nd pair gun does not want to open.   After that it has to be opened over my knee.  Firing pins do not appear to be hanging up....    STS and my reloads  work great.    This morning tested again.   Shot 5 or 6 pairs perfectly, then it started to stick.  Barrels do not move at all. prior to proper application of knee.  Old stock light target and new LRLN. both give problems.   Need some ideas,  Thanks in advance           GW

I'd suggest staying away from the Federal shotgun ammo sold in 100 round bulk boxes sold at Wal-Mart, they are causing my CZ Bob White G2 to do the same thing.  I'm probably going to start ordering ammo online and pay a little more to get some decent shotgun shells.

Archived