SASS Wire Forum

Wild Bunch need Some?

Rancho Roy

I would like to compete in wild bunch at some point.

i bought a holster and mag holders for four magazines

I picked up. Springfield 1911a1 today

I have holsters and mag holders.

How many magazines will I need for a typical stage?

Will 7 round magazines be ok?

will my match 1873 in 38-40 suffice? I also have a Winchester 92 in both 38-40 and 45LC.

i have Winchester 1897 and model 12 shotguns.....will either be ok?

thanks

Thanks

Pistol round requirements will vary between 21 and 42 rounds per stage. You are allowed to load 7 in the mag, most have gone to writing stages that use a 7 round sequence or target count. I would not want to show up with less than 8 magazines. On any stage I would have the required amount plus 2. Any of you rifles will suffice. Either of your shotguns will work, must be 12 gauge. Go to the Wild Bunch forum and get particulars about power factors and the like.

https://www.sassnet.com/wildbunch/forum/

Sounds like you're good to go, your guns are legal. I actually have pouches for eight mags since it may be necessary to discard a mag when clearing a jam and most of us also carry a "Barney Fife" mag with just one round. Seven round mags are good, current rules are a max of seven rounds in a mag.

Yer good to go, but two more mags would be desirable. We always shoot 28 round stages here, but higher counts are common in other areas. I have 8 mags on my belt, and a 9th one in my pocket that goes in the pistol at the loading table.

Forty cal and up in the rifle, so your .38-40's are fine, and either of your shotguns will work. There are legal modifications you can make to enable them to hold 6 rounds in the magazine. If you handload, you can make up some 2 1/2" shells. I've never seen 2 1/2"ers in a store around here, but I'm sure somebody must manufacture them.

7 hours ago, Rancho Roy said:

I would like to compete in wild bunch at some point.

i bought a holster and mag holders for four magazines

I picked up. Springfield 1911a1 today

I have holsters and mag holders.

How many magazines will I need for a typical stage?

Will 7 round magazines be ok?

will my match 1873 in 38-40 suffice? I also have a Winchester 92 in both 38-40 and 45LC.

i have Winchester 1897 and model 12 shotguns.....will either be ok?

thanks

Thanks

Where did you get your holster and mag pouches?

Rifles are good.  pistol is good, shotguns if 12g are good.  1897 May need be modified to hold 6 but model 12 is the preferred shotgun.  As long as 13g and holds 6 I would go that route.

As stated mags have to be flat plate.  4 might be enough but 6 or more better.

Make sure rounds make 150 power factor.

Welcome to the extra fun.

Next have to get you bamming, gamming and poping.

8 hours ago, LostVaquero said:

Grizzly....I bought the holster and belt from someone on this list a couple years ago. The only 1911s I have are full blown custom IDPA type. Just not right for WB.

You can shoot Wild Bunch 3-stage Mini-Matches at SASS VT State Championships on August 9th, the  SASS NH State Championships on August 23 and the SASS ME State Championships on September 6th.

I really enjoy Wild Bunch.  Make sure to read the current Handbook since more rule  changes went into effect on January 1, 2019.

Most stages are written with pistol round counts in multiples of seven but there is no longer a limit on the number of rounds you can load in a magazine.

I have five magazine pouches; one holds a “malfunction mag” with one round.  That’s usually plenty of reloads for matches in my area.  Another new rule change is that the shooter can stage magazines and ammunition.

An 1897 usually holds five in the tube unless it’s been modified.  A stock Model 12 should hold six.

You can get a kit from Unique-Tec.

Give you a different spring and follower.

Just make sure you get the right one, ie solid frame verses takedown.

Marshal Stone 

Archived