SASS Wire Forum

Motorized Gun Carts?

Bisley Joe

Are motorized gun carts allowed now?

Asking because I've been wanting to build asmall "horseless" carriage style cart for a long time. Using either a small gas engine, or an electric motor. Have also considered a small steam engine.

Were they outlawed at some point?

I've seen a couple over the last 2-3 years. At least one at TN State that was pretty cool. Some folks use golf carts or hoverounds.

1 hour ago, Bisley Joe said:

Are motorized gun carts allowed now?

Asking because I've been wanting to build asmall "horseless" carriage style cart for a long time. Using either a small gas engine, or an electric motor. Have also considered a small steam engine.

SASS doesn't care one way or the other. However, some ranges only allow them in designated areas. IIRC EOT has limitations on where they can be used. 

I have used a golf cart for a number of years. There are some ranges that it would be impossible without it. Virginia is one. The golf carts are disliked because they are kinda big. 'Course we are not counting the 9' round umbrella protecting the inhabitants of the Fluffymobile. However, I usually had four or five shooters and all their gear on the Fluffymobile which effectively left space on each berm.  Ten Sleep had a reservation each year at Virginia. 

At an early Mason Dixon Stampede, the Fluffymobile started carrying 22 long guns and all the gear of the owners. I can still hear Tex's remarks when he saw the golf cart.

In my experience, it is not the officials but the other shooters. I have never been approached by anyone but one year at Mule camp #2, I was informed no shooter could ride between stages. I figured someone thought that they were getting too much rest between stages. The Fluffymobile made a number of requested trips up and down the pavement at Mule Camp. One with an injured shooter. 

At EOT 2007, Salvador Dally pulled our shared cart. Thanks Wayne. I was later told by Tex that I could have brought the Fluffymobile.  But it worked out pretty good. :rolleyes:

Way back when I joined someone told me they were not allowed.

Good to know they are OK.

Salvador Dally?! Man, that's a great handle! Is there a mustache to match?!

3 minutes ago, Bisley Joe said:

Way back when I joined someone told me they were not allowed.

Good to know they are OK.

Well you may want to check at the range and make sure they are allowed there; but I haven't heard of any SASS rules against them.

Good idea.

I still have a bit to go before building such a beast anyway.

Gotta get my Victorian Train themed bus finished!

20 minutes ago, Bisley Joe said:

No, but he's an artist.

I have shot at a few ranges where they were only allowed for those with medical issues, but as was already stated, nothing in SASS prohibiting them. Probably an issue where some a$$hat tore up the ground being stupid, so that bad apple ruined it for everyone without a medical reason at those particular ranges

Here’s one that I built that makes shooting at some ranges possible for me.

AF867793-C307-440D-AFBF-1183543D2AE1.jpeg

33A60E9A-9F1D-46ED-8514-7E51D507C55A.jpeg

C16D32F4-3F23-4B3C-9472-CC65F00D4233.jpeg

CE8DA5F8-C541-438E-8291-61CE22D48777.jpeg

Electric mobility scooters like the one Yul Lose has are ok with me ,, if you are handicapped . If you are just plain lazy leave them in the parking lot 

Winter Range has a very strick policy about carts , they will issue permits for their use if you can prove need

Wow!

Who of you begrudging the use of carts etc. are physicians?

Two-plus years ago, I barely made it through a match due to knee pain. I'd had issues for several months. After the match, I finally went to my orthopedic surgeon about it. He recommended a cortisone shot. The doctor who gave it to me said I'd probably need three or so a year. I wasn't a candidate for knee replacement. It was only due to a torn meniscus.

Well, it has been two-plus years since the last shot and it hasn't been that bad since. You never know, neither do the doctors.

So, the moral of the story is, "be careful who you are calling lazy!"

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Wow!

Two-plus years ago, I barely made it through a match due to knee pain. I'd had issues for several months. After the match, I finally went to my orthopedic surgeon about it. He recommended a cortisone shot. The doctor who gave it to me said I'd probably need three or so a year. I wasn't a candidate for knee replacement. It was only due to a torn meniscus.

Well, it has been two-plus years since the last shot and it hasn't been that bad since. You never know, neither do the doctors.

You missed my point 

If you have the need then by almeans use something 

what I find disturbing  is to have a cowboy come up riding a gasoline powered four wheeler while a shooter is getting ready to shoot the stage or is shooting the stage and the noise is disturbing .

Some people don't have any commen sence . Almost like crowding into a stage with their guncarts before the posse is finished shooting

2 hours ago, Catlow4697 said:

Electric mobility scooters like the one Yul Lose has are ok with me ,, if you are handicapped . If you are just plain lazy leave them in the parking lot 

Winter Range has a very strick policy about carts , they will issue permits for their use if you can prove need

5 minutes ago, Catlow4697 said:

You missed my point 

what I find disturbing  is to have a cowboy come up riding a gasoline powered four wheeler while a shooter is getting ready to shoot the stage or is shooting the stage and the noise is disturbing .

Some people don't have any commen sence . Almost like crowding into a stage with their guncarts before the posse is finished shooting

Then, you should have written that.

A. E. Irons built this one several years ago. Powered by a recoil start Honda engine and has a gun rack behind the cab and sufficient storage for ammo, leather, and lunch.

FairchildHorselessCarriage.jpg

100_0250.JPG

On 6/18/2019 at 5:27 PM, StirrupTrouble said:

some a$$hat tore up the ground being stupid,

I've seen that, too.

2 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:
4 hours ago, Catlow4697 said:

2 hours ago, Catlow4697 said:

You missed my point  

Then, you should have written that.

Agreed. Just because someone uses motorized cart doesn't mean he or she is "lazy". That's like saying those too dumb to use a motorized cart need to get out of the way.

+++

I can understand if there are issues with obnoxious motorized carts, and people being rude. But those people and situations need to be dealt with by addressing the people, not by painting everyone with the same brush and restricting them, or labeling them as lazy.

There are plenty good reasons to use motorized carts, and not all are directly medical.

One reason is simply being able to bring along cold drinks, snacks, etc. from stage to stage. It gets hot sometimes, especially exerting ourselves shooting. There's also the ability to bring all the supplies we need-not only ammo, but a tool kit, extra guns, etc.

I've seen people almost pass out from the heat after shooting.

There's also the person's right to not want to push a heavy cart all day.

As far as noise, are we playing golf here or shooting firearms that go BOOM? Even on long range shoots, shooters have to concentrate while others are cranking off rounds just feet away.

Personally, I've always wanted to have a motorized cart styled after a horseless carriage. I think stuff like that adds to the fun and atmosphere! If I can manage a steam engine, I'll use that!

1 hour ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

A. E. Irons built this one several years ago. Powered by a recoil start Honda engine and has a gun rack behind the cab and sufficient storage for ammo, leather, and lunch.

FairchildHorselessCarriage.jpg

100_0250.JPG

That is EXACTLY what I'm talking about!

Anyone not wanting to allow carts like that should be forced to carry all their gear in a gunny sack, with an extra 20 pounds of sand, and twenty seven rattle snakes, inside.

4 minutes ago, Bisley Joe said:

That is EXACTLY what I'm talking about!

Anyone not wanting to allow carts like that should be forced to carry all their gear in a gunny sack, with an extra 20 pounds of sand, and twenty seven rattle snakes, inside.

You must be think'n of NCOWS then...........:lol:

OLG

4 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Wow!

Same thing happened to me Allie only I wound up having arthoscopic surgery to fix the torn meniscus. That was 6 years ago. It was fine until about 6 months ago and it started acting up again. I got a cortisone shot and it's been okay since! 

If someone needs a motorized cart because of leg or back problems etc. that's fine. I just wouldn't want to see a bunch of otherwise healthy people using them. It could be come a traffic jam:P

Here's a Original I'd like to see somebody build B)

us-army-machine-gun-carrier-richy-ross-restored-it.jpg.c2d7ca5925a95c73ba0669014bb1534a.jpg

i have no reservations to folks building and employing these as long as they are not destructive with them [i think those folks are rare] and there are many who need the aids to participate - i want them included , i love the idea of replicating those old early steam/gas even electric , buggies , it adds to the ambiance of the event , 

too many of us are gettin old and havin health issues , we do not want to give up and we dont want to lose them , this needs to be the same inviting venue for all , its all about enjoying and participating , 

would be fun to have that one with the fixed firearm attached but i doubt it meets the 170 rules , just sayin , 

3 hours ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

Here's a Original I'd like to see somebody build B)

us-army-machine-gun-carrier-richy-ross-restored-it.jpg.c2d7ca5925a95c73ba0669014bb1534a.jpg

Wonderful contraption.

It's a mixed bag. In general, I don't like them. However, I see the need for some folks, but they ought to keep them in the back and out of the way. I had one inconsiderate jerk run into me with his scooter. Im not unsympathetic, but if the user doesn't have to have it to get around, then the ought to leave them at home. Kinda like the same guy that thinks everyone in the camping area wants to listen to his generator rather than enjoy the time sitting around with friends.

Archived