SASS Wire Forum

'66 Spring cover needed

Grass Range

Do you mean the plug at the muzzle end of the magazine tube?  I’m still not sure what part you are talking about.

Lots of knowledge and help available here, but a little more information is required,

How about a picture for clarity?

Sometimes called the "loading gate". Pic attached; original '66 on top and replica on bottom. Shows opening on right side of action where the cartridges are pushed into the magazine. As you can see the one in photo on the top rifle is broken and somewhat out of place.

MVC-016F.JPG

Follow Major Crimes’s link to VTI Gunparts. Click on the Uberti logo, then “rifle “ , then 1866 to bring up a parts diagram.  You want #127.  There are “Uberti “ and “aftermarket “ loading gates listed, and both large and small screw options.  As you can see, the “spring” is just a long extension of the ladle that is secured to the side plate with a screw.  Call VTI and talk on the phone rather than trying emails.  They are good folks to work with.

Grass Range, do you have the screw?  If so, was the ladle broken before you removed the screw?  Because a missing screw will make a perfectly fine ladle lay loose in the receiver like in your picture.

28 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Follow Major Crimes’s link to VTI Gunparts. Click on the Uberti logo, then “rifle “ , then 1866 to bring up a parts diagram.  You want #127.  There are “Uberti “ and “aftermarket “ loading gates listed, and both large and small screw options.  As you can see, the “spring” is just a long extension of the ladle that is secured to the side plate with a screw.  Call VTI and talk on the phone rather than trying emails.  They are good folks to work with.

I will try again. I have measured the length on both and the original is 1/4" longer. Thanks

18 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Grass Range, do you have the screw?  If so, was the ladle broken before you removed the screw?  Because a missing screw will make a perfectly fine ladle lay loose in the receiver like in your picture.

I did not take the screw out. Done before I got it. It is not inside. The spring part of the cover is broken. Thanks

Try  www.homesteadparts.com , they have a lot of parts that are original and replica for original Winchesters .

Luck,

Isom

That Loading Gate, ladle, Spoon, etc. is the Achilles Heel of the "66s".  Someone mentioned the screw size.  They changed the size of the screw and the reference is a "W" in the serial number.  Normally the tip on the magazine tube bends or breaks off.  So, when you find a new Loading Gate and correct size screw, you might look into how folks re-enforce the Loading Gate.

Good Luck.

Thanks all. I will probably not shoot this. Muzzle wear looks like it was cleaned with a rat tail file. Pipe wrench marks on the barrel. Replaced buttstock. Rear site staked in place. Terrible barrel finish. GR

Archived