SASS Wire Forum

The Duke - Union vs Confederacy

Alpo

I was just idly sitting here when the thought came - how many times did he wear blue, and how many times did he wear grey?

Now, I was going to ignore the cavalry trilogy. The war was over. Didn't count. In Yellow Ribbon, the Greasy Grass had just happened, so it was 1876. Nathan was retiring after 30, so he had obviously been in during the war, but maybe he spent the entire time on the frontier. We don't know. 

In Rio Grande however, we find out that he and Victor had burned his wife's family plantation. Therefore I must count Rio Grande as he was a Yankee.

Rio Grande, The Undefeated, and The Horse Soldiers are all that I can think of. This is done without looking it up. Memory only.

In True Grit he says he rode with Quantrill. He fought for Texas in the Searchers.And there's one I can't remember the name of - he and Roy Rogers, and again it was Quantrill, only they didn't call him Quantrill.

So - three each side?

Well, hell.

Not remembering correctly was annoying, so I looked it up.

The movie was Dark Command. The didn't call him Quantrill, they called him Cantrell. Can't believe I forgot that, because the Cantrells live across the street from me.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Command

Roy was Confederate, but Duke was Union, dammit.

So instead of three and three it would be four and two, and Rio Lobo makes it five and two.

He was a Union officer in How the West Was Won.

You seem to have it.

There is no movie I'm aware of where he was fighting for the South, but two where he SPEAKS OF when he fought for the South.

2 hours ago, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

I don't think I've EVER heard the phrase "outside the purview of this ponder" spoken to me. I get the gist of it but if one of my friends said that to me, I would think he was sick or drunk. Probably drunk, knowing my friends. 

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That phrase reminds me of the phrase that Gregory Peck used in  - I THINK - DON'T HOLD ME TO THIS - The Bravados.  He wants to buy a saddle and maybe a horse, too, the seller says something weird, and Gregory Peck's character says "Let's get on with the dicker".  Who says that?  :D

Hello.The Searchers. :rolleyes: Comes on the scene in a Grey overcoat and gives his sword to his nephew.

4 hours ago, Nubbins Colt #7802 said:

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That phrase reminds me of the phrase that Gregory Peck used in  - I THINK - DON'T HOLD ME TO THIS - The Bravados.  He wants to buy a saddle and maybe a horse, too, the seller says something weird, and Gregory Peck's character says "Let's get on with the dicker".  Who says that?  :D

Don't know what movie it WAS, but WASN'T The Bravados. Watched it a couple months ago, and that isn't in it.

49 minutes ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

Don't know what movie it WAS, but WASN'T The Bravados. Watched it a couple months ago, and that isn't in it.

Was it "The Big Country?"

Now you're making do more research!

Sigh.............I can't find it!  And I can picture it like I saw it yesterday!

23 hours ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

Was it "The Big Country?"

No. 

If it was Greg, it must have been one of his lesser efforts. At least IMO. Maybe something like Duel in the Sun? I didn't care much for that one. I don't pretend to know every Peck movie but I think I know the cream and that line just doesn't ring a bell.

• 1 month later...

I can just picture Gregory Peck (I got my real name from him donchano!) speaking to a much older man on a front porch trying to but a horse and saddle and the older guy is yammering some kind of blah blah and GP says "...let's get on with the dicker."  That's all I can recall.

Could it be The Gunfighter? Been awhile since I seen it, but he came to this little town try to get back together with his wife, and his seven or eight year old kid who doesn't know him.

I can recall a scene in the livery stable. Could be he was trying to buy a couple horses so he and his family can ride off into the sunset together.

And then there is that scene in The Shootist. Duke and Scatman Crothers. Duke's trying to sell his horse to Scatman, and I believe the line said is, "Well then, let's get to dickering".

Actually you should count She Wore a Yellow Ribbon  - as Capt. Brittles in the beginning talking to Sgt. Quincannon talks about them being together at 2nd BullRun, Shiloh and a couple of other battles.

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

Could it be The Gunfighter? Been awhile since I seen it, but he came to this little town try to get back together with his wife, and his seven or eight year old kid who doesn't know him.

I can recall a scene in the livery stable. Could be he was trying to buy a couple horses so he and his family can ride off into the sunset together.

And then there is that scene in The Shootist. Duke and Scatman Crothers. Duke's trying to sell his horse to Scatman, and I believe the line said is, "Well then, let's get to dickering".

IT's NOT  "The Gunfighter". One of my favorites.

1 hour ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

Not dwelled upon but circumstances would lead me to believe that Dunson in Red River was an ex-Confederate.

Dunson wasn’t a combatant. Matthew Garth went to war, but I don’t recall for which side.

Can’t remember if it was told in the book.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, gonna have to add another blue to the list.

Train Robbers. Ben Johnson is telling Christopher George about a trap him and Duke and Rod Taylor laid during "the war". They laid the trap for "the Rebs".  That would seem to mean that Duke was Union.

Makes it six and two.

On 8/1/2019 at 1:47 PM, Nubbins Colt #7802 said:

I can just picture Gregory Peck (I got my real name from him donchano!) speaking to a much older man on a front porch trying to but a horse and saddle and the older guy is yammering some kind of blah blah and GP says "...let's get on with the dicker."  That's all I can recall.

Nubbins , could it be the movie "Shoot Out" , where Peck was travelling with a small girl , and had roped a pony for the kid. Then was talking to the old man who owned the ranch ; who told him it had been his late wife's favorite.

Rex :D

Archived