SASS Wire Forum

SPAM

Utah Bob #35998

SPAM!!  Sliced thin and skillet fried on biscuits with fried eggs and fried onions and taters. Bottomless ice cold Coca Cola in a tall “Coke” glass!!

Think I’ll set Saturday morning aside for a retro breakfast feast!!!

Maybe a slice of Velveeta to go on them biscuits!!  :P B)

Sliced,  fried,  on lightly toasted sourdough,  with mustard, mayonnaise,  American cheese,  and lettuce. 

Or cubed, fried on all sides along with some cubed par-cooked potatoes,  then scramble some eggs over them. 

‘Merica! :D:FlagAm:

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Or cubed, fried on all sides along with some cubed par-cooked potatoes,  then scramble some eggs over them

Just remember - to get the authentic experience, you must use powdered eggs.

But, I don’t like SPAM! :D

Actually, I really don’t. I love that comedy skit though. Thanks Major. :lol:

Years ago my family ate fried SPAM or bologna once a week. Eating that gave me incredible headaches. I never knew why until years later. It was due to the nitrates in the SPAM and the bologna. Frying it unlocked something that just put me down for the count. 

I don't get the hype or the hatred, SPAM is just mechanically separated pork packed into enough preservatives to make it immortal.  I have eaten a lot of canned meat and consider SPAM to be one of the better canned meats out there. 

1 hour ago, July Smith said:

I don't get the hype or the hatred, SPAM is just mechanically separated pork packed into enough preservatives to make it immortal.  I have eaten a lot of canned meat and consider SPAM to be one of the better canned meats out there. 

Unless it is one of the varieties that contains chicken, Spam does not contain mechanically separated meat. No other caned meat can make that claim.

Original Spam has only 6 ingredients the top two being ham and pork shoulder.

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Does anyone have better way to the SPAM out?  I open the can, run a knife around between the meat (?) and the can, poke a hole in the bottom of the can, turn the can upside down, and Bob’s your Unle, the SPAM slides out.

If you throw it down to the dogs they get it out just fine.

SPAM® Fries
1 servings3 ingredients
Ingredients
1 12-ounce can SPAM® Classic
Peanut oil, for frying
HOUSE OF TSANG® General Tsao Stir Fry Sauce or Sriracha Ketchup, for dipping
Directions
1.Heat about 4 inches of oil in heavy pan or fryer to 350°F.
2.Cut SPAM® Classic lengthwise into six slices. Cut each slice into 4 thick matchsticks.
3.Place fries in hot oil (in small batches) and fry until golden brown and crisp (about 3 minutes). Drain on paper towels. Serve warm fries with dipping sauces.SPAM® Fries

Kimchi Fried Rice Musubi
Ingredients
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
1 (12-ounce) can SPAM® Classic cut into 8 slices
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped kimchi
1 tablespoon gochujang paste
3 cups cooked sushi rice
3/4 cup chopped green onions
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
1 1/2 cups cucumber slices
4 sheets nori, cut in half
Directions
1.In small bowl, combine soy sauce and sugar.
2.In large skillet over medium-high heat, cook SPAM® Classic slices 3 to 5 minutes or until browned. Add soy sauce sugar mixture, cook 1 to 2 minutes or until slices are glazed. Remove from skillet and wipe skillet clean.
3.In same large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add kimchi, and gochujang paste, stir fry 1 to 2 minutes or until combined. Add rice, sesame oil, sesame seeds, and green onions, stir fry, 1 to 2 minutes or until well combined. Remove from heat.
4.Place 1/3 cup rice into musubi press or plastic lined SPAM® can on top of halved nori sheet and press down. Remove press. Place cucumber slices on rice and top with SPAM® Classic slice. Wrap nori around each. Moisten one end slightly to fasten together

Kimchi Fried Rice Musubi

Gemütlichkeit SPAMWICH
Ingredients
8 ounces HORMEL® BLACK LABEL® Bacon
2 12-ounce cans SPAM® with Bacon
1 cup diced yellow onion
1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
4 cups thinly sliced green and red cabbage
12 hamburger sized pretzel rolls
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup sweet spicy mustard
Salt and pepper, to taste
Directions
1.Dice bacon into 1/2-inch pieces. Cook over low heat until crispy; drain on paper towels and set aside. Sauté onion in skillet with 2-3 tablespoons of the bacon drippings. Cook over medium low heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle onion with 1 tablespoon of the flour. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add vinegar and sugar; stirring until the sugar dissolves. Season as desired with salt and pepper. Add cabbage and stir until it slightly wilts, about 1 minute. Add reserved bacon. Remove from heat and set aside.
2.Preheat oven to 300°F. Cut pretzel rolls in half. Lightly brush rolls with a small amount of oil and place face-side down on a baking sheet. Lightly toast rolls in the oven for about 5-10 minutes; set aside. Place remaining oil in large nonstick skillet (enough to cover the bottom of the pan) and heat over medium heat. Slice each can of SPAM® with Bacon into 6 lengthwise slices (for a total of 12 slices). Place flour, eggs and panko crumbs into three separate pans. Dip each slice of SPAM® with Bacon into flour, following by egg and then into the panko crumbs. Sauté the SPAM® with Bacon slices until golden brown on both sides. Place SPAM® with Bacon in warm oven and hold until all slices have been browned.
3.For assembly, spread the bottom half of each toasted pretzel bun with mustard. Top with SPAM® with Bacon and the cabbage slaw. Top with roll tops and serve immediately. Makes 12 sandwiches.

Gemütlichkeit SPAMWICHâ¢

Made with some flair Spam Musubi is very good. We ate it at work a lot when we had to pull a night shift. One of my former co-workers was from Hawaii and she introduced the rest of us to it.

Frying the Spam in sweet soy or teriyaki sauce gives it a great flavor. Instead of plain rice, Kelly made a wonderful sticky fried rice with eggs and vegies. 

On 6/18/2019 at 11:31 AM, Dirty Low Down sass 23492 said:

O.K.---so I'm gonna sit over here by my self-----love it best--just chill it off good in refrigerator--open can slice it up --put on bread or biscuit--little bit o Miracle Whip---thin slice of tomato----get outta my way yum yum!!!!!

Spam sandwich.  With that Miracle Whip and Velveeta, on Wonder Bread.

Fueled my childhood!  :huh:

On 6/17/2019 at 11:14 PM, Alpo said:

Just remember - to get the authentic experience, you must use powdered eggs.

My dad was a cook in WWII in the South Pacific. Good thing he's gone, he might shoot you. How 'bout some powdered milk for dessert?

JHC face-with-open-mouth-vomiting_1f92e.png

The small town of Shady Cove, Oregon, has an annual Spam Parade. (my sister lives there, and we have watched it & eaten Spam with their vendors)

Spam in Pop Culture Spam has been a part of American culture since World War II when its use in the war, not only as food for soldiers but also for gun grease, caused some to refer to Uncle Sam as Uncle Spam.

Archived